Author Topic: 问答 - Wn​d​ (Q&A)  (Read 1850 times)

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
问答 - Wn​d​ (Q&A)
« on: September 14, 2010, 10:09:35 AM »
What sort of tech is there, i.e. is there also a touch of the cyber to it?
Well its only twelve years into the future so there won't be any cyborgs or giant robots etc..!   ...BUT it is an alternate future, so little bits of cyber are starting to creep in.

For the general masses, think sub-dermal wristwatches powered by your bodies chemical energy, HUD contact lenses providing augmented reality, Ipods that use bone conduction and implanted RFID flash memory and credit cards.

The interweb is still mostly accessed by keyboard and display, but VR immersion via a combination of lenses, bone induction, gesture control, and some very moderate direct neural connection is beginning to be used by corporate IT professionals and enthusiastic (& rich?) tech-heads. Also, in general tech terms convergence has taken quite a leap, so your phone really can do anything your computer could do.

...As to what the military and tech corporations have (unavailable to the general public), well who knows?

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:20:06 AM by 50 »

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 问答 - Wn​d​ (Q&A)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 10:25:09 AM »
How long has the "spirit world" been integrated into society?

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:15 AM »
Well I'm sure if you ask most Chinese people they would tell you "since the primordial chaos split into heaven and earth eighteen thousand years ago!"  ;)

But the real answer to your question would be depends on who you ask...

The full reality of the spirit world is still for the majority of people an unknown; they happily live out their lives in ignorance of the supernatural goings on all around them.

Certainly Hong Kong is a place where people traditionally have greater acceptance of such things, feng-shui, ghost-festivals and ancestor worship are common cultural practices. But western influences have tended to disbelieve such superstitious nonsense and most 'educated' men would agree that these quaint beliefs are not to be taken too seriously.

So I suspect it depends on which camp you fall into, I intend the PC's will be mostly starting the game from the 'ignorant of the truth' point of view - but I wouldn't be totally adverse to a character with some understanding, we'd just need to discus first.  :)

Btw - my WitchRule bit for ChngShēng has a introduction narrative which I didn't want to repeat here, so check that out for a bit more idea.

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:30:13 PM »
I added some more depth to my character Bio, like I said last night I am still finding his "voice", always find it more difficult with modern & sci-fi settings, but I put my Bio up ASAP last week so someone had gone first. :D

Do I get bonus XP ;) (No - but nice try!  :) - 50)
Yeah, I was thinking about this after the first week - what I really think is missing is the random 'background life' rolls, like we have in Orbis. Just gives a little bit of a starting point to run from I think, so long as GMs don't insist players take every vaguery no matter what!

BTW: should we move this post into a game thread (Q&A?) - might be worthy of comment and perusal by others..?
I agree on both counts.

Even if you dont take the "roll" it can be a great hook or inspiration, at least to add a little depth from the start, but then with the best will in the world all characters are a little 2d to start with and only become 3d in play

So do you guys think we should put a little retro rolling into our backgrounds? - it would be easy enough to use the orbis tables and mod them appropriately (or I'm sure there are other systems which have something similar?)