Author Topic: Advice Column  (Read 18077 times)

YT3

Re: Advice Column
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 10:11:45 PM »
Advice Column; I concur Ant, I too felt cheated. You should do one and call in "Agony Ant". ;D

Playtest: Andy old chap, you have a nicely developed game-world ideas and propose using a pretty decent system. just get stuck in and don't worry about stuff. You seemed competent enough as a GM from the SLA one-off I played in. 8)

Shorty; You may have the opportunity to switch games if you don't like my take on the CofC system with the additions and exclusions I'm proposing. It's not the CofC game-world *as such* either. All will be revealed in the word documents i intend to upload at some point.

See y'all next Wednesday.

YT  :-*

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 10:23:49 PM »
YT; I love your game, regardless of system. I have been wanting to carry on your campaign idea since you ended the last chapter. You rock hard as feck as a GM, and I can't wait. Andy is my second choice, through no fault of his own; he also rocks, but was in your game and knows how much I enjoyed it.

If anyone wants to run an advice column in a "dear diedre" stlye; rock on.
Just so you know, I own a comic book store

Oh, and write a fiction blog for fun

Geordie_Lad

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 05:12:16 PM »
Maybe we should make an "Agony Aunt" position on the committee  ;D

YT, Shorty> Thanks for the endorsements. I'm fine with shorty going for YT's game; if I wasn't GMing, I'd be seriously tempted by it.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 08:00:41 PM »
perhaps we should have an agony Ant instead, although I'm not sure as to what that might entail...?

YT3

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 08:50:11 PM »
An Ankh-Morpork style Agony Ant might be *interesting*

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 10:51:26 PM »
Any volunteers?

Geordie_Lad

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 02:19:37 PM »
*uses a sledgehammer to re-rail the topic*

Back to the topic at hand, what sort of plotlines do people find work well with playtests?

P.S. If anyone else has questions, please post them; I feel like a right muppet being the only person asking advice on here...

YT3

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 02:25:39 PM »
Perhaps something that highlights certain game mechanics to get you familiar with them or else something that avoids using certain game mechanics to see if they are *really* required.
An example of the latter case would be the 'chase' rules from any system.
As for the former; special abilites, edges, magic systems and of course combat and the "making a cup of tea" test =)

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 02:31:23 PM »
"making a cup of tea" test?

Geordie_Lad

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 02:33:37 PM »
I don't remember what game it's off, but someone made a character roll to make a cup of tea!

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
 Adapt any rules you like. hell don't stick to them if you can hide it from the players !
 In 't'old' days' we always called any game system  one of our gaming kabal ran 'Changequest' , as after the first session we would be inevitably tinkering with the rules.
" Stakk! "

Geordie_Lad

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2008, 08:15:38 AM »
I have added a couple of house rules, mostly adding a couple of rules from the old SW rulebook and some Edges/Hindrances from the other SW sourcebooks.

My main tinkering is the 'Focus' rules for Magicians. One thing I've noticed is that, even at low XP levels, Magicians are over-powered compared to other characters. All I've basically done is make players think a bit more about casting, as it's now possible for them to be impeded without being shaken in combat, and now they can miscast!

Those are the only changes that I'm planning, but some more might turn up after the playtest in a couple of weeks. See my 'House Rules' thread for more information.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008, 11:20:41 PM »
 I always imagine a lot of magic abilities as desensitising the spell casters from the rest of humanity, perhaps like some systems penalize characters 's lack of humanity for using too much cybernetic material.
" Stakk! "

Geordie_Lad

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2008, 07:50:40 AM »
Doc: The LoA setting does isolate spellcasters a little bit (Magicians consider themselves a different race, but still want ot be part of humanity), but if anything, magicians should be more human than most, as they believe that their abilities are gifts from the Angels, to be bestowed on all Dominion-kind. Also, magicians come from a myriad of backgrounds, which has helped maintain their 'down-to-earth' mentality.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 07:53:19 AM by Geordie_Lad »

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »
I don't remember what game it's off, but someone made a character roll to make a cup of tea!

It was a joke about the change of system in D&D 2nd ed to Skills & powers where rolling for simple tasks wasnt done, but if they were they would be impossible