Author Topic: Geriant ap Madawg aka 'Nikaneth'  (Read 5686 times)

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Geriant ap Madawg aka 'Nikaneth'
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 12:50:13 PM »
<Following is a covering letter in a package of letters written by Johannes Whitt and delivered to a publisher in Raphelia>

My dear friend,
 I am still alive and not a victim to some fell disease that the canals tend to brew in the summer heat in this part of Uma.
My recent meeting with Geriant , which I mentioned in a recent letter has stirred my curiosity, and at the cost of my current commissioned project, I found myself making further enquiries. His current activities are still subject to wild rumours and speculation though I am confident that the reports of him being incarcerated on a charge of murder are true.

I am trying to piece an account together that examines his activities of himself and the ‘feral band’ of city agents he belonged to.  This is quite fascinating at it involves the machinations of the two great powers who oppose each other in the governance of the City. This is proving a hard task, the press of the time seem to be biased against the ‘Shrouded One’s ‘ Tremallu, either criticising them or, in the case of Geriant, using them as objects of ridicule. Much of the ‘band’s’ activities were overshadowed by the catastrophic incidents during the Pelossian invasion some years ago. However! I think I can piece together a short account of Geriant in the two years following the invasion till the coming of the ‘Tentacled Horror’ as some strange, deamonic manifestation is termed here-abouts.

Followed the aftermath of ‘The Trembling Flame’ only one other member of Geraint’s band survived and she appears to have left the city shortly after on a journey. Ulema herself, returned to her apparent indifference of the day to day politics of the city. During several months Geriant seems to have been used by the authorities as ‘muscle’ during the hunt for the Pelossian agents who might still be at large. The lad seemed to throw himself into this role rather enthusiastically, and several complaints were made by citizens of Pellossian origins. For over half a year, the young Tremallu was also active in the rebuilding of parts of the city, utilizing his skills as a carpenter in repairing his sponsor’s herba house and also helping to put good the ravages of war damage in the Dummonii quarter. He appears to have lived on a barge with Tess, a Raphelian bajo, with whom he seemed to live a tempestuous relationship. Several accounts exist of fiery arguements and reconciliations. During this time his well known, good natured, carousing sometimes gave way to sombre, sullen moods.

After the rebuilding projects he was involved with were completed, he continued to be used as a 'strongarm' by the Tremallu, though such missions became fewer and fewer and it was obvious that most Tremallu normally wished to disassociate themselves from him. His main role seems to have been in arranging talks with groups  of Dummonii or as a messenger and body guard in meetings organised with the Bajo (presumably on his woman’s specific instructions). He seems to have had little grasp of the importance of money, and appears to have only grudgingly taken food or ale and a few coppers for his earlier work projects. Over the past couple of years he seems to have relied heavily on his woman’s purse to pay his bar bills. Despite being a drinker and a flirt, no proven scandal of infidelity seems to have been fixed to the youngster. His behaviour over the next year and a half turned uglier, and he seemed to relish confrontations with those of Pelossian blood or the ‘deamon folk’ (as he terms some of Nostapyrax’s citizens). He mainly kept to the Canards of the city and seems to have used the Barge and Ferryman as his local, where he seems to have, largely, avoided trouble that he stirred up in other watering holes. His name is often linked to wild revels in 'The Ashes' , though he clearly enjoyed touring the Raphelian areas of the city with his paramour.

Well, that’s enough for the moment of the young thug, whose path has briefly crossed with mine. I shall now write to you a synopsis of my proper researches in this city....
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:18:35 PM by 348 »
" Stakk! "

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/044/f/5/bowman_by_solidtom-d4pmpzs.jpg

Geriant perhaps, sober and ready for action at lease :D

linked because its a big pic

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 08:34:43 PM »
Fantastic ! Great find Ant.
" Stakk! "

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 08:39:25 PM »
Yeah, got to say I really like it

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »
really good find!  :)

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »
<Following is a particular passage from a letter written by Johannes Whitt and delivered to a publisher in Raphelia>

I had no sooner sent you the news of Geriant's arrest for murder, the barbaric Tremallu who I have mentioned in earlier missives, than I learnt of his escape from captivity.

He had only been incarcarated for a few days when, apparantly, part of the wall of the stronghold collapsed, allowing the infamous prisoner to escape! Needless to say, this has led to further embarrasment for the Trelmallu establishment.

Rumour has it that he had effected an escape from his personal cell and overpowered several guards. A further, unverified, accounts mentions a sighting of him wandering the stronghold gabbling witlessly to scribes he encountered. Most folk I spoke to on this matter, warded themselves, and opinioned that Ulema herself must have used her sorcery to aid her minion. Some claimed that she had actually come to collect Geriant's bartered soul after the Dummoni youth had tried seeking asylum from her reach.

Pursuit and searching for the escapee by the Tremallu and the assorted watches seems to have been characteristically ineffectual. Given the earlier accounts that 'Nikanef' had easily elluded the authorities after the writ for his arrest was broadcast and was only jailed after he voluntarily handed himself over to justice, then the resolve of some groups to encounter and confront Ulema's servant must be questioned.

Overall the news was bandied about with less attention than I expected. Probably because most of the Haak folk were busier speculating on what changes would be announced for their district during the imminent public meeting at Sea Drake Square.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:31:07 AM by 348 »
" Stakk! "

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 10:07:29 AM »
Seems to me there isn't a single scuffer that could catch a pig in a ginnel

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 10:27:14 AM »
Ooo.. harsh!  ;D

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 03:32:31 PM »
When my fist clenches, crack it open
Before I use it and lose my cool
When I smile, tell me some bad news
Before I laugh and act like a fool

(Extract from the Who's 'Behind Blue Eyes'~ Pete Townsend)
" Stakk! "

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »
Well my friend,

I have found a cool place and a pitcher of watered wine is at my side in this alcove, I will relate some of the recent events in the City. I fully intend to enclose a full dossier on the recent political upheavals when I have time to collate all my sources of information. To occupy me, and knowing your love of crude doggerel, I thought to pen a recent series of verses I heard this morning in the Dummonnii quarter.

I might add that the folk of this area are rather stirred up by recent events, dreading the imposition of new citizens to their quarter and doubtless a curtailing of soon of their illegal trading, and at times, the murderous activities they undertake against those of Pelossian blood.

I found that Geriant ap Madawg was actually a popular figure amongst his kinsmen, or at least those who congregate and spout forth nationalist bravado in the taverns. Normally I hear his name mentioned with curiosity and derision, fear or hatred in some quarters,  but in the Ashes, a ramshackle nest of ex-patriots he is, seemingly, something of a hero, and they take pride in his apparent cunning in eluding a City wide search. I rather gather he has spent some time hiding out in this quarter of late.

The verses I am about to repeat came from a broken, old, whittering fellow named Clogad ap Gonagall. Like many Dummonni he rather liked the sound of his own voice, but when intoning his ballard in his native tongue it did have a pleasant, ringing, lilting tone. He was happy enough to translate it for me for a mug of grog, though in this form it comes across as rather melodramatic and akin to a trite child’s nursery song or such like.

Geriant held three things of worth
Though he heeded not their measure
With reckless care for gifts so rare
He squandered all his treasure

The first thing he lost was his innocent soul,
Another a silver scarf
But worst to bare was a lady fair
And his heart was torn in half.

Geriant swore a fool hard oath
To a she-hag of foul magic
In barge-hold dark he took her mark
And started his wyrd so tragic

Gainst a red blade tide he stood proud and fast
Heeding a rallying cry
But the wounds Ger bore he no longer wore
Fell hurts took all near by!

In reedless deed he drew forth his blade
And ‘gainst a Trem’llu went
From thence to hall, he who offended all
And his sash they from him rent

For years his lass had stood by him
But at last, her patience spent
Ignoring his plea she took to the sea
'from the City of the Flame she went

Well, someone I need to meet just came through the door and is just buying a bottle before joining me, so I’ll add this to my report which I will be sending later this week through the usual channels.

Yours, etc
Johannes Whitt
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:03:49 PM by 348 »
" Stakk! "

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 11:56:10 PM »
:) .. only just read this.

nice! :)

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 08:59:20 AM »
Unless one of Nik's (many) enemies gets lucky, I'm sure the ballard will get extended.  Once play restarts, poor Johannes Whitt will be writing an extensively edited down version of Nik's ramblings concerning his first year in the city.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:04:57 PM by 348 »
" Stakk! "