Author Topic: Pretty Models thread  (Read 24931 times)

Brick

• I Roll For Lunch
  • Veteran of the 3rd Edition trenches.
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty Models thread
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 11:00:55 AM »
That looks great! I bet that it attracts a lot of attention in games, due to the sheer size of the cart?
Nomina stultorum scribuntur ubique locorum

padre

• Nationals Costumes
  • I Roll For Lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 08:10:31 PM »
Dunno - never used it in a game. May not get a chance to do so if the campaign ends too soon! But it got me 500 gold as a comp prize and thus a quarter of the way to assassinating the character who killed my son. Very satisfactory, though there's now a lot of weeping and gnashing of teeth (OOC) about it. Hmm. Campaign name - 'Treachery and Greed'. But let's all be nice. Hmm.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2010, 02:41:47 PM »

Halfling Soup Tank

This is just made of awesome.

damo_b

• Nationals Costumes
  • I Roll For Lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 06:12:30 PM »
nice isn't it  :)

padre

• Nationals Costumes
  • I Roll For Lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 10:17:05 AM »
Doom Wheel - part Ďkit-bashí / part scratch build

I love the idea of a 'doom wheel' rolling over the foe, but being me I wanted one that was my own version. So I began the odyssey that making such a mechanical model involves.

I wanted mine to be steam powered in terms of locomotion (not scuttling rats like the official version), although warpstone would be used to heat the steam. But I like the idea that the locomotion itself generates the power that sparks the warpstone shards to generate lightning. I also wanted a kind of Victoriana Ďsteam-punkí look.

So I started with some wheel bits - three plastic Pringles tops. Having hoarded a ridiculous amount of genuine rubbish (mostly plastic) in my bits boxes, I found a circular thing which fitted neatly inside the lids, which had kind of gear wheel teeth all around it. I think it was once part of a video tape in the late 80s. Possibly. As the Pringle lids are waxy I decided to sew the new component in, as glue probably wouldnít hold on to it. Oh, and this was a clever bit - I used tape (the paper kind) to go around the edge of the lids. That way there would be a paper surface to glue wood bits onto and not a waxy plastic Ďunstickableí surface.

Now I hunted in bits boxes for anything like wheels and gears and any sort of component that could be used. I cut four sections out of one of the lids, taped up the four rungs thus created, and clued lollipop sticks on. I also began making a boiler type affair out of old lids from water bottles (milliputting the holes) and a funnel out of a GW cannon barrel. I used some wheels to make the main driving wheels that would carry a chain to make the doom wheel trundle round.

I fashioned a rear-platform for the operator to stand on, with the boiler and some control levers. For 45p I bought a thin strip of wood to cut to make the wheel rim, and I got extravagant and bought brass pins from the same modellers shop - that way they could be glued and pinned to the rim (the latter more for appearanceís sake). I made a kind of inner workings by cutting bits of plastic tube and stick , this being the machinery that turns motion into a generating spark for the warpstone to crackle its lightning.

Wood stain is great for lolly sticks and bits of wood - I wonít have to paint these sections now. It also works well on the brass pin heads.

One warpstone shard was mounted on a rod extending out from between the two wheel sections, with a tube going to it to carry whatever it is skaven send down such tubes to light their warpstone (i.e. havenít worked out the fluff for this part yet - just like the look of it).

The last work I have done so far is to begin the mounting for the blades that will stick out in front of the wheel, a frame which will attach to the axle and have two more pieces of warpstone at the sides. (Old skaven sprues provided this - a kind of claw and stone thing that was really to go on the top of standards).

I have also undercoated the workings and added inner (woodstained) spokes. Woodstained cardboard had to do for the outer rim of the non-gear-riddled wheel, as I could not be bothered carving wood to the same effect. Nor have I the skill. (Iíve already cut myself once with a scalpel on this project - thereís a limit to how far I am prepared to suffer for my toy soldiersí hobby!!).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is complete! (Well, almost Ö I think I have a bit of a Skaven mentality, itís almost complete but thatís enough. I can tune it up later, first letís see what it can do!)

Here is a side view showing the flank with the drive chain. There is a wheel on the engine housing behind the boiler, and from this a chain runs to the gear wheel on the axis of the big doom-wheel wheel. (See, Iím talking a bit like a skaven too, and it was not even deliberate.)

My Warpstone shards are probably not to everyoneís liking, nor my general approach to painting, but Iíve been doping Ďcartooní for so long I donít want to stop now. Besides itíll fit in with my army better if itís painted like them.

From the front you can see itís an unforgiving war machine. This should account for the impact hits. As for the S2 attacks, as this is not giant rat driven but steam powered, Iím gonna assume that when the lightning is not flaring out there is still a relatively weak warp-static dancing and flickering around between the three shards (thus in the forward arc) - enough to deliver Str 2 shocks.

Here is the other flank. Like I said before, steam (heated by warpstone dust) generates motive power via a boiler and an engine, but then internal gears inside the large wheel generate enough energy to spark the three shards of warpstone to life. The driver stands (as expected) on the steerage deck.

This rear(ish) view shows the two controls. A wheel allows the engineer to alterb the steam power (and thus the speed). Well, itís supposed to, but itís all a bit random in reality. He can at least frantically try to reduce it by spinning it when it is going a bit too fast, and then when it is going too slow, he can spin wildly in the other direction. The lever at the side jolts the rear wheel and thus changes the engineís direction.

I have forgotten (now I see the photos) to paint some bits, like the wheels on the end of the arms. Oops.

Maybe Iíll do them before I start my next mad (rat) scientist project?

Brick

• I Roll For Lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 07:42:20 PM »
Having bought Bloodbowl a while ago, I have now finished the Orc team, and present it for your edification. I am pleased with the overall effect, though I have learned that drybrushing the last layer of green looks a bit too 'scratchy'.

damo_b

• Nationals Costumes
  • I Roll For Lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 11:28:08 PM »
nice work

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2010, 09:05:56 AM »
Indeed, not bad at all...

Bring it down next time you are in town, we will have to get a couple of games in.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2010, 10:28:50 PM »

Brick

• I Roll For Lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 09:13:21 AM »

It has been done before, but it still makes me smile.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 09:35:40 AM »
See, while its ammusing at first, I just think what a monumental waste of money.

Brick

• I Roll For Lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 09:52:33 AM »
It is better than the guys who paint their Crawdor Necromunda gang as KKK, to be fair.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 09:57:37 AM »
True.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 02:22:29 PM »

From these people

www.tabletop-world.com

I actually cant describe how high quality these are. And how much I want them!

Brick

• I Roll For Lunch
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 04:05:47 PM »
That is insane. I went to the Tabletop Gaming News award site, as they gave a second in category prize to the merchant's house. They gave first prize to 'Quantum Gothic', an outfit who make 40k terrain but without too overt a 40k overtone, if that makes sense.