Author Topic: Lucius Corvinus Draco  (Read 4868 times)

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
Lucius Corvinus Draco
« on: October 21, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »
I am taking a thread of my own to put in a quick background and will do my best to post a diary of events too. For now though, this is the man you will be meeting in a dark and dirty tavern next week.

Lucius Corvinus Draco

Lucius was not born into the greatest of Pelosian Families; in fact he would be hard pushed to name a family lower down the social scale than his own. His mother was a camp following whore who served the LXIX legion in the only way she knew how. He has no idea how many brothers and sisters he has, the boys either died from the sort of diseases likely to befall those living in the worst kind of conditions, were killed in brawls with other children over what little they could scrounge to improve their lot or joined the legion and were never seen again. The girls, if possible, had it worse; with no other option once they survived to something like adulthood they went the same way as their mother. If they were less lucky they were plucked too young and became empty eyed and vacant, seeming not to care until they eventually died from starvation as a result of not bothering to feed themselves.

Lucius fought hard to survive, learning to use the short sword the legions were known for using to great effect and the shield that gave the fighting units such strong defence against their enemies. Whenever he could, he also listened to anyone who would talk to him about science and religion, hoping he wouldnít have to spend his entire life in the legions. His hatred of them had grown just as surely as he had, watching the deprivations and abuses of the soldiers, to not only his siblings but other children around the camp and even Pelosian civilians who got in their way or had things that the legion wanted. He knew that joining was his only option to begin with so he played down his feelings and when he reached enrolment age his dedication got him a position with the Armicustosí store.

Knowing how hard his family had it, he used his ability with numbers and the less than lawful skills he picked up as a camp brat to skim what he could off the top to provide what he could for his aging mother and siblings. After a year of this, he got more than a little cocky and forgot to cover his tracks one time too many. Before the military police came from he was warned by friends of a similar disposition, grabbed his basic equipment and fled from the ranks, never to return.

It wasnít long before he found himself in Nosterpyrax, a big risk knowing how his countrymen were viewed in this free city. He decided to insinuate himself within the underworld that thrived around the cityís dock and had more than a measure of success. Although there were those among the Umbruc who didnít trust Lucius, it didnít take him long to find friends; his quick tongue and not only willingness, but effectiveness, to fight to defend his friends and their enterprises meant he ended up very popular within a few city blocks. Of course that got turned on its head a little later when the Pelosians invaded his adopted home.

He took to the streets with all the other villains and lowlifes and fought as hard as he ever had, despatching many of his own countrymen to defend himself and others he cared about. Thinking everything was taking a turn in favour of the defenders he paused to catch his breath and failed to notice when his exits from the alley he was resting in were sealed. A few legionaries had seen him, and thought to teach him a lesson, but when they closed in they spotted the legion tattoo showing through a rip in his shirt and took him to be a deserter. They took their time with Lucius, creeping in as close as possible in a defensive posture, giving him no chance to escape, he wouldnít go down easy though and it wasnít until his own legionaries shield was hacked in two and his sword arm was broken did he resign to his fate. The soldiers were not going to go easy on him though, and instead of delivering the killing blow they tortured him, beating him and hacking at him with swords and knives until he prayed for death. The soldiersí desire for a long drawn out death worked against them however, giving more members of the Umbruc time to close in and fight them off, killing most of them in the process.

Lucius was left a broken mess of a man, still barely out of his teens; it took several months of care in the ravaged city until he was able to walk without help and more months until he was well enough to pick up a sword and make money fleecing any targets still ripe for the plucking. Apart from a network of scars over his entire body and more than one livid gash on his face, the other souvenir he has from that fateful day is his shield. Although broken clean in two, he keeps it whenever he is forced into new accommodations as a reminder of what his people would do one of their own and why he refuses to hear a good work spoken about the legions.

While recovering, he also called upon the services of a local artist to cover his legion markings, wanting no evidence on his body of his time with army, although they can just about be seen through the image of a crow, if you know what youíre looking for.

He still works with the Umbruc, and is just returning from an important mission outside of the city to Raphelia, securing a contract for the importing of some less than legal narcotics. Sadly his trip back to the city took at turn for the worse when once again he was set upon by some of his neighbours who took for a Pelosian spy, beating him and stealing everything he owned before listening to his protestations and dumping him in the street. With a quick call into one of the bosses to give him the good news about the narcotics deal and to borrow the money for a new sword, he makes his way to a comfortable but dinghy inn, expecting to meet some other people looking for work on the dark side of the street...
Check out my blog, it's about gaming

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lucius Corvinus Draco
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:25:46 PM »
Description

A little shy of 6 foot, Lucius is a tad taller than your average Pelosian, but he isn't lanky by any stretch of the imagination. Although not covered in rippling muscles, he is tones and looks more than capable in fight. His skin is dark with an olive complection, his otherwise handsome romanesque face marred by two large scars; one on his left side running from smile, past his cheek to just below the eye, the other coming down from his hair line until just above his right eye. His hair is dark as one would suspect, worn longish down to his shoulders and a little bit wavy.

He has taken to wearing Pyraxian style clothing so as to fit in around the streets, but still carries a short sword very similar to the one isued to him in the legion, worn on his left hand side.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »
Figured we would just be getting a quick pint before meeting some new kids, then the old guy was dragged through the door by two dock workers, looking more than a little bit like he had been stabbed and all of a sudden, we had something else to fill a couple of hours other than idle chit chat about tattoos and Pelosian military manoeuvres.

Hessan and I headed out to find where the codger had been dragged from to see if there was any way to pay back whoever it was that did the stabbing. For an old boy himself, he did well getting us following the trail of blood, but when that ran out we had to employ other means. Spotting a warehouse that overlooked the alley we had tracked the victim to, I headed over and ingratiated myself with foreman, no easy being the good looking, dark skinned chap I am, but hey, itís what I do. After a quick sob sorry he told us where he had seen the old fella come from and it didnít take us long to get to the front door of a closed brothel. Our polite requests for entry were denied; even using Alsuneís name didnít get the door open.

After that we tried a slightly different tack, but the door was well and truly barred against us. With that in mind, and knowing from his accent that there was at least one Whitelander in there, I sent Hessan back to the Skrite for reinforcements. I kept an eye on the place and after a short while he came back with Gaius (the new boy from Pelosia), Red (the archer), and some guy who I just thought was out for a quiet pint called Drona. He was covered in blood so Iím guessing he did some work trying to fix up the old guy, and it turns out he was one of the new kids I was supposed to seeing.

Now itís time to try some cunning to get into this place, but if the other two chaps who were supposed to be at the Skrite turn up, I wouldnít say no to having a bit more muscle.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2009, 03:38:27 PM »
I think a little break down of the brothel incident is in order. With the plan in place, the last two hopeful recruits made a showing, A Whitelander called Stalland and some Raphelian fop called Lawrence. It meant we had another bow in our group, so with everyone in position I set about making a nuisance of myself. With the thickest accent I could manage and deliberately speaking in the most broken Pyraxian I could, I did my best to get the attention of whoever was in there. Calling them out, demanding to be served by their finest whores and making sure I made repeated mention of the invasion, I eventually got to the door and did my damndest to kick it through, hoping that would get their attention. After a couple of minutes the door was thrown open and some ugly lump of Whitelander was right in my face.

Knowing what to expect I dropped to the floor and was just pulling my sword free as two arrows hit home; the first catching him a solid blow to the chest, but the second did more and looked to almost rip his arm free at the elbow. Expecting a third shot, I kept down and held my attack; for a little too long I think. Even using his huge axe in one hand, the left hand at that, and with a quick dive to the side he still managed to plant the axe head into my chest. Luckily his strength seemed to be ebbing and my ribs kept the worst of the blow at bay. Within seconds Gaius had charged down the path and before I could return a strike with my own weapon, a spear thrust to his torso finished off the northern giant.

Inside it didnít take long to realise something was amiss when we found the bar empty with only two dead figures propped up in a ghoulish parody of life, seeming to be playing cards and drinking, but in fact had both suffered lethal wounds. Since there was little blood around them it didnít take long to realise they had been killed elsewhere and moved here, so once Red found the stairs, we made our way up. Sadly Gaius is not as light on his feet as I would have liked and when he rounded the top of the stairs, our position was given away to another brute; this one sat at a small bar with a female companion, looking a little the worse for drink. We all rushed in, with blows raining down on him, and as Stalland called out that there was another behind the bar, lightening lit up the room and the bottles behind the bar erupted showering whoever was down there with liquor.

With the first bastard down, I turned my attention to the crazy eyed fella who was just pulling up his breeches as he rose, wet, from behind the bar. Everyone was shouting at him to surrender, but he was clearly messed up on something, and all it took was asking him to pass me a drink for him to turn away and the others to drag him towards them and pin him down. Behind the bar we found a young woman who had obviously been attacked and raped, so I did the decent thing and covered her up and got her downstairs. While there, Drona cleaned up her wounds and wrapped my chest for me, while the young lady told us what had happened. Turns out the Whitelanders had been in for the usual reasons, but had taken something that had made them act crazy, some drugs I think. We found out that the corpse at the Skrite was the doorman from here, and that the Whitelanders had the other girls and staff upstairs.

Leaving the two women with Red, I went back upstairs to find a debate in progress; what to do with the rapist. I knew full well what I wanted to do, but I wasnít alone so gave the best advice I could, kill him, or knock him out and take his weapons from him. Lawrence showed some steal at that point and suggested another weapon he should not be able to leave with, and I couldnít help but agree. After another Kick to the head from Stalland, I knocked him cold and let Lawrence get on with it.

After that we needed to clear this floor before heading up so we split up, Stalland finding a friendly pet of some kind, and Drona finding another drugged up crazy sod torturing someone. Again, I tried to move quietly to get the drop on the bugger, and again Gaius was a bit too heavy footed and gave us away. Still, the sod was quite clearly out of it and it didnít take long to put him down with a few well placed sword blows, and for some reason a flying cock. Not sure what that was supposed to achieve, but I think it may have made even someone as high as a kite like the torturer think about his fate when messing with us.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 04:38:27 PM »
I do not want to get into the detail of what happened for the rest of that evening. We did what we could with a variety of injured and traumatised people and eventually got the point when we at least had an idea who the ringleader was; another bastard Pelosian! It looked like he had some help from inside the bawdy house; one of the working girls was just a little bit too friendly with one of the Dummoni we found in the building. She said that they were drinking like normal and didnít know what had happened to them but it just looks a bit far from believable from me.

Anyway, the bastard Pelosian; ended up chasing him to the attic after we cleared out the rest of the building and I almost got the cock, throwing my sword and catching him dead centre in the chest. Just a shame I couldnít tell he was wearing a plate breast piece due to him standing with light at his back. Knowing he was going to use the weight of a box at the end of the rope attached to the pulley, I ran and jumped on it, hoping to keep him held at out mercy. Sadly the armour was a bit much and after being dragged across the floor Stalland jumped through the window and followed him down.

Not too sure what happened after that, I spent my time getting the story straight from the half-blood who would now be running the place and getting any loot together. When the Vinco turned up, we were told to carry on the investigation but keep attention away from Seraís. Sadly it already looks like the Voice has started poking its nose in. Best thing to do now is flog what we can and try to track down the scum who was responsible for what happened.

In other news, Lawrence has acquired for himself an new nick name based on his current activities; Colei Puer.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 04:29:03 PM »
Well, flogged the loot, paid the Umbruc its due and now I have bugger all to do but kick back and wait for everyone to get their arses to the pub so we can figure out what to do about our Pelosian problem.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 10:53:36 AM »
With most of the nightís work behind us, Red and I took the new ones to the meeting, snaking through the back streets of the Haak, through boarded up windows and over semi-collapsed walls. Shifting damaged fences and even dropping below street level to get to the hideout. Passing mobs of heavies and conmen, sneak thieves and cut-throats until we came to the archway guarded by Nef, a hunchbacked demon blooded creature whose small size belied a ferocious strength. Once through the curtain we entered the crooked building that houses our Umbruc and made our way down to its bowels, over the uneven floor and down the slanted spiral staircase; always fun watching the Probits take their first trip down that bad boy. Through the rising smoke, as we start to hear voices, more and more light becomes available to us; not too much though, this is still a shadow cartel.

Their entry into the Umbruc was a little different than mine; no midnight risky venture to prove my worth followed by weeks of the lowest of low level cons, since they had already helped Alsoon out by sorting the immediate problem at Seraís they were put to work on completing the job, with me and Red keeping an eye on things. Doesnít take a genius to tell that Stalland will more than likely be the one calling the shots once we get to work though; the bugger may not be the biggest Whitelander Iíve seen, but he carries himself with as much confidence and seems at ease leading men. Letís hope he picks up on my subtle hints that Iím no leader of men and starts getting stuff done. Since the nature of our new work involves our own brand of the entertainment industry, itís worth noting that for the first time since I turned up Iím no longer working with the Small Works, but we have all joined the Entertainment committee. With that sorted it was time for some quick introductions to some of the note worthies then off to the Barge for a celebratory drink.

After a quick discussion on our plans for solving this mystery and how best to find and eviscerate the Pelosian scumbag, I spotted Nikaneth propping up the bar as usual and headed over to discuss the Golden Claw. Even in his cups, as is so often the case, Nikaneth is still a Tremallu and knows his stuff. He took the pendant to get it checked and confirmed our worse suspicions; it was the genuine article. Thatís not to say it wasnít an amazing forgery, but to say we found a handful of them, it does seem like a hell of a lot of time effort and cash to attempt to frame a watch cartel, an attempt that may not even have worked. The rest buggered off to an early night at that point, but I stuck around for a story of the haunted depths and a few more wines than I should have done with Nikaneth; easy to see why is called what he is.

After a subdued breakfast, at least on my part due to too much wine and the girls as a result of the night before, Stalland and the rest started asking their questions. I gave a hand with the cleaning, just to get it over with quickly, and all I really caught was that the scumbag was called Nill. Although the name rings no bells, it is very much Pelosian in style which means he almost certainly was using his own name the confident bastard. With that I went back to the covers, hoping a couple of extra hours would sort my head out, and awoke to find them all off on their own little missions.

It was no problem to get myself in character for the con I had in mind; I already looked like I had spent the night sleeping rough, all I needed to do was leave the expensive stuff behind, grabbing just the dirk, my short sword, and less than 2 swords in pennies, then I was on my way. I figured that there would be so many people on the streets looking to claim the bounty on Nill that asking any questions concerning details published in the Voice wasnít going to get me far, so instead I made up a story that would explain his injuries involving a night time attack on two drunken Pelosians that was racist in nature, then embellished it enough that I could add my own injuries into the mix but still have escaped. First Sawbones I got to knew our man, and although it cost me the dirk as well as the coins, I have a full name now, Nillus, and a base of operations, The Midnight Plaza. Just have to hope that the dodgy medic wonít give away too much info to Nillus if he goes back there for more cream for the burns that Stalland gave him, bugger all I can do about it anyway.

Back to the bawdy house the same time as everyone else and I could tell from the looks on their faces they hadnít had as much luck as me. Nice to know that skill with summoning deamons, casting runes or running people through with spears isnít always going to be essential, and a bit of confidence work will be of use to us on this endeavour. Red and Stalland did come up with a pretty good idea though so with the name of the most expensive drug on the market in my head, I went sniffing round herbalists, literally, hoping for a whiff of whatever sickly sweet scent that bugger was covered in. Sadly I had no luck in the lower districts, but Red knows something of the finer things of the city and can get is into a much higher class of drug dens. With the loan of some fancy duds from Nensia, we were ready to go; sadly our new boss, Solange, has more work for us, so looks like we wonít all be going to the party after all.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 02:59:04 PM »
All dressed up and somewhere to go that is very far outside of my comfort zone, to the upper-class drug den we go. I admit to feeling a bit out of place with just the clothes I was wearing; donít get me wrong, I have in my time had to don some finery, but it was always quite cheap cloth cut to look more expensive than it actually was, this stuff must have cost a fortune! I also left behind almost all my weapons and armour, not wanting to stand out and all that. The Whitelander was going in his role as bodyguard so was fine to go tooled up, I just had a dirk strapped to my back under my shirt just in case, not sure if Red even took anything.

Although Red knew where we were going and how to get in, she didnít have much of a clue after that so I quickly came up with a back story that would sound convincing and give us all the chance to play to our strengths; Red was a young noblewoman out slumming it round the Haak Ė gave herself the name Sara Kerenus, but I doubt that that is her real name any more than ďRedĒ is Ė I was her lowlife partner for the evening, showing her how the other half lived, not only gave me a way to talk like Iím used to but meant I wouldnít have to worry about making too many social slip ups if I already looked like I wasnít supposed to be there. Decided to go with my old sergeantís name of Septimus if anyone asked, no point giving away any more information than we had to; we were pulling this con just round the corner form where we were calling home. With all that in place we made our way through the Haak at dusk, doing our best to look the part from the get-go, but mainly making sure we didnít go over into the canards when the walkways got narrow.

The building looked very secure from the outside with iron banded doors and a sturdy looking lock so I was more than a bit grateful that we wouldnít have to force our way inside. From there we were in Redís hands and being perfectly honest, I was a bit nervous; I donít like trusting others with stuff this important this early on in a con. I had nothing to fear however as she put on the most imperious voice Iíve ever heard out of the finer establishments I have tricked my way into and when she was questioned by the doorman she so wonderfully self confident - bordering on arrogant Ė that the door opened to is in seconds. Not sure if I could have pulled off that commanding tone, so it was a bloody good job she was with us.

Upon opening the door we were assailed by scent and sight, plumes of smoke hung in the heady atmosphere, all the colours and all smells one would have thought possible plus a few new ones. Being a bit taller than average Stalland and myself had our heads in the cloud and I was feeling a little light headed by the time we took our seats. Once into a almost private booth it was my turn, I knew which drugs to order and did so with confidence while playing the part of a know-nothing when it came to ordering the wine so that any future faux pa would be brushed aside as the words or actions of someone out of their depth. With our seats taken I started scanning the room for marks, as did Red, hoping to find a purse to cut that would cover our expenses for this gambit and hopefully make us some profit too. With the wine being sipped and herbs on the go I made my excuses and started my way around the room hoping for a sniff of whatever Nillus was covered in; on my second trip to the facilities I was sure that the daemon-blooded purveyor of the higher end narcotics had what we were looking for. I took my seat again to make everyone was up to speed but couldnít help noticing that Red was not quite at her ease as I would have expected and it didnít take long to work out her sudden abrupt movements were done to avoid the eye of someone in the drug den. After getting the description of the other girl I did my best to sit between them when I was there. After that Red seemed much more at ease and her behaviour over the course of the night makes me think that it may be less that she knows of this world than is of this world; something that could prove very useful indeed.

With a story on my lips involving my companionís taste for the sweeter things in life I made my way over to the half-blood and started asking some leading questions with a way out of the conversation hovering just above the tip of my tongue. It didnít take too long to narrow down my choices and once I got the dealer talking about effects I was certain we had a winner; Galpharnus, otherwise known as Skull-fire. Most of the effects of the drug matched what we would have expected of the Whitelanders from the previous evening with only the lack of heightened aggression. Stalland did make the point however that it would be possible to cut the drug with something that would give that effect and hopefully Solange would be able to help narrow our field of search down a little. I sent Red over to get a whiff for herself so there was more than just me who would the know the scent if we came across it again. On the way back she had spotted her mark and I waited until she was close to take a drag from our pipe and cough like an amateur with Stalland clapping me on the back and making a fine ruckus. Seconds later she was back at our table and hurriedly emptied the purse into my own, throwing the finer, sequined money bag onto the brazier to destroy the evidence and we made our way out.

With 15 swords gone on our tab we still made a 5 sword profit each on the contents of the purse and made our way back to Seraís, although the establishment may well be changing its name soon to keep up with the current proprietor. I felt much more comfortable back in my own garb and made my way down to the bar, checking with Nensia on the policy regarding small arms for the evening before Stalland and me got ourselves set. Red was to keep an eye on the upstairs bar; an area where the regulars were taken to keep them separate from the gawkers and other visitors who were only there to see what all the fuss was about. The other two of us took turns on the door or in the main bar, making sure we kept our demeanours friendly we were also pointedly the only ones carrying any weapons. Stalland did a great job entertaining the crowds with bawdy humour and song, getting them singing along and slapping their thighs in good spirits, I preferred a different way of keeping them occupied and got them talking about themselves, spilling the beans on their own ribald activities and keeping a friendly sense of camaraderie going as they seemed more and more comfortable in each otherís presence.

Within a couple of hours Droma and Gaius had returned and took positions helping out in the bar or on the door, Droma steering clear of any role that could have ended with him in a fight and Gaius more than happy to man the door; social situations been far away from his strengths.

When the night wound down we had a quick nightcap and were informed of our next job for the Umbruc; the recovery of a certain enchanted artefact from a place we had no right to go into, in a territory we had no control over. Luckily we have been given a map of some underground passages that might get us closer to our goal, sadly they are under another Umbrucís territory and have yet to have been explored as a result of some deamonic warding on the first door we are going to get to. As a thank you for this, we have been given the chance to equip ourselves for free by Jamaal so it looks like we will be going shopping before we head underground.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 12:45:53 PM »
There have been many times in my life that I have wondered how I got from where I started to where I am now; right now Iím wondering how the hell I got to be in this dark tunnel dripping wet with filthy water, soaked to my bones watching a Dromish man fix the wounds of a fellow legionnaire, wounds that were caused by a couple of huge swimming things that wanted us for lunch.

This morning we met up with Jamaal to get some gear together for our little jaunt under the city and everything seemed to be going pretty well; Gaius only needed a repair job, most of the basic stuff we needed was easily obtained, and even though Stalland didnít get his mail and Red didnít get the composite bow she was after, I got some leather armour and a new pair of boots. After a quick break for lunch, we were away down some cellar steps, through a boarded up section that came with more ease than one would expect when looking at it, and down into the darkness we went. I couldnít tell you exactly, but I would guess we were walking for an hour through tunnels marked by men of our Umbruc, most of them I knew to be basic directions, but the rest were full words and sentences, the meaning of which eluded me.

Eventually we came to another flight of stairs down and I was a bit worried about how deep we were going; who knows what dwells beneath our feet, but Iím fairly sure they wouldnít mind taking a bite out of them, everything living thing in this damn country is bloody dangerous. After going down what seemed about a floor and a half it looked like our way would be blocked by the ceiling that had come down onto the stairs, but Jamaal raised his guttering torch and pointed to the gap near the roof that we were to climb through. I have never been much of a second story man, but know how to move up something when I need to and it was heartening to watch everyone else make it without too much problems. Sadly Drona wasnít so firm on his feet and took a spill when his foot fell through a gap and got his ankle all twisted up; it didnít seem to slow him up too much, but something tells me his career as a sneak thief may be limited.

On the other side the ground was covered by water, at some places almost a couple of foot deep, which sadly made my boots not quite as effective as I would have liked, but better than the sandals I had left behind. Hour an hour or so of sloshing through almost black water and we came to the door that the rest of the Umbruc had never passed. While we took our ease, Drona started his things, reading the runes and working out what the terrifying looking beast on the door was. Not sure myself, but anything with a sword in each of its four arms, with three barbed tails, taloned feet and beaked face just doesnít look friendly. After only a few minutes we realised everything was safe for us, but not the squishy little thing that Drona tried to pass off on me, so Jamaal had to carry the soggy thing back.

The next problem was the lock, and I think worth pointing out at this point that I know my way around a lock, but the tools I had at my disposal could have been comfortably thrown through the gaps I had to work with. Add to that the level of neglect and rust in the workings, I donít think I can be blamed for failing to pop open that bad boy. Even with the best we could manage in the way of ad-hoc tools and lubricant, there was no way the tumblers were shifting. Luckily, brute force won out and with help from me and Red, Stalland pushed the thing open, ripping the lock clean from the frame. Not how I like to get through a door Ė it lacks a certain finesse Ė but I couldnít argue with the result.

I have no idea who designs underground labyrinths, but something tells me the deep water wasnít what they had in mind as it made it damn difficult to get further than a few hundred feet before we hit another obstacle; this one was luckily solved with a mix of cunning and a bloody good throw from Red. It did mean that everyone was drenched to the skin for the first time that day however, and once the rope and grapple had been packed away again I wasted no time stripping down and squeezing as much of the filthy water as I could out of my clothes before putting them back on damp, under the armour. Stalland did show off one of his tricks though and with a quick rune drawn in the air was not only dry but clean too, the flash bugger. Something tells me I can work with him to make some money, as long he would be happy getting on bored with fleecing some poor bugger out of his hard earned.

Again with the tromping through a foot of water for a while, but then we started heading up a slight incline and the floor dried out nicely, just wish that would have meant the last time we got wet. Sadly, it was not to, the tunnel ended with stairs going down to a round room with three ways out. Oh yes, and another three foot of water in the bottom. Luckily I noticed some movement on the surface or Iím sure that one of them would have just walked straight on in and got themselves devoured. I grabbed Gaiusís spear and made my way down, asking Red and Stalland to keep their bows drawn and pointed at the none business end of the spear in case one these critters took the bait. And one of the big sods did, I only just managed to whip the end of the spear out of the water with one of them biting onto the end. It gave Red the chance she needed and before I had even a second to react it had sprouted an arrow and was diving back under the water. It was a huge bugger and eventually, by chucking in some food and playing with the rope, we figured there were two of the bloody things. With bugger all other way past we had to try our luck so Drona went down the stairs with Gaius holding his belt to act as bait in a much more dramatic way than I think any of us were comfortable. At least Gaius was cautioned away from it; he was still hurting form our last fight and didnít have any armour below his waist.

What happened next, happened fast so forgive me for just noting the details that I remember; Drona went down after putting both feet a couple of steps in and Gaius went with him, struggling to keep his feet on the wet and slimy steps. Both made it out of the water with Red and Stalland shooting arrows into the water and into the creatures as I tried to distract them the rope. After the beasts backed away I took my chance and charged down the steps, shouting for everyone to follow to me and made for the first tunnel that wasnít blocked up, the one opposite where we came in. After that Iím not too sure what happened out in the room proper, I know that Stalland and Red followed me and we all made it up the stairs and started to get a torch lit. The other two took their sweet time and came through with fresh wounds and looking half drowned, and for some reason, Drona had brought the torch with him that we had left on the balcony! That guy needs some lessons in survival, and Gaius needs to learn to look after himself some times. At least it meant our medic survived and had the chance to clean everyoneís wounds after we had been struggling through water full of who knows what king of filth.

And thatís where you find us now, the way back still blocked by some evil looking fish and one way ahead very firmly bricked up. Glad the food was wrapped up, but now we need to figure where to go next.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:59:45 AM »
With victuals taken, we made our way down a much drier but just as ancient corridor, the stone and bricks of the walls crumbling to our touch, lit only by the one guttering torch we kept lit. Myself and Gaius took point, using our shields as best we could with Drona tucked safely in the middle holding our torch while Red and Stalland took the rear, ready to cover us in case we were being followed or fire arrows over heads at any threat that should come at us from the front. After some time had passed, I couldnít help but feel that there was something coming from ahead, but I had no idea what.

Leaving the rest behind I moved as quietly as I could towards whatever it was that had disturbed me, but that also meant leaving the light behind so I had to go very slowly, not knowing what the hell I was walking into. Good job too, as I was creeping forward my foot knocked a small pebble ahead of me and in the silence I heard it scrape down and drop from a ledge. As I caught my breath at my near escape I strained my hearing, hoping to catch any noise that might have set me nerves on edge. Then I heard it; or more correctly, them.

There was something above me, lots of things, moving Ė shuffling Ė about as they made their way across the ceiling, gods know how far away they were or if they had heard me and were swooping to attack. While everyone else made their way to my position I took in the surroundings and they were non too favourable; we were standing in one of eight passages into this room, each with an opposite number at the same level and whatever was left of a rope bridge strung between the two. Of course, ours had long since gone to rot, but the steel rings were still in place that had once held the bridge, and since each pair of entrances was on a different level it looked like we were going to have to take a lower route out.

With Stalland tying the knots and no other volunteers, I made the choice to lower myself down onto the next bridge; luckily, this one was still mostly intact. Still, no reason to add any extra risk so before I went down I shed every spare bit of weight I could, down to my undergarments and belt to give Stalland something to tie a rope onto me with. And down I went; getting lowered by others and wall walking across the bridge was the easy bit, and a damn site less stressful than what would follow. As I made my way across the bridge, my feet getting splinters from the old dry wood, I had to feed out more and more rope. Before long I knew that if the support gave way, the rope wouldnít stop me crashing to guano covered floor and my luck wasnít good enough for me to hit a soft spot.

Just over two thirds of the way over, it happened. My foot went through a plank and tried in vain to gain purchase on nothing while my brain took a holiday and relied on the gut instincts of my body to keep it inside its skull. I threw my arms either side and hopped as far as I could with my other leg, spreading my weight as much as I could, hoping like hell that the next place my body hit could take it. My fingers tightened as they felt the coarse rope against my palms and with a sinking feeling I thought both my feet were going to hit nothing but air again, but in the last half second my toes scratched wood and pulled me onto planks that supported my body.

It was more than a handful of seconds until my heart had stopped trying to escape through my ribs and my brain decided to take over again, but after that I was Ė if possible Ė even more careful and eventually I made my to the other side. After tying the rope off as best I could, I waited for my pack and armour to be sent down the rope to me, and when I got myself strapped in just in time to grab Gaiusís hand as he death slid down towards me and I pulled him up onto the ledge. I figured the worst was over but after that Red came down too quickly and before me or Gaius could get a hand to her, she had crashed against the ledge and we had to pull her up quickly before her grip gave way. We neednít have worried on that score though, she had used a sling and would have been fine, Drona however didnít secure himself well enough and did himself an injury on the way down; Stalland being Stalland came down like a showy git, but at least we didnít have to patch him up.

Before long we came to what looked like another Daemon rune ward, but Drona passed through it with no problem and we followed along soon dropping into the same order as before until we came to a strange shaped room; a wide oval that looked to have a pillar in the middle, but with a feeling of malevolence coming from it that Stalland noticed. For the first time ever we made use of Dronaís fancy sword, not to kill anything you understand, but it is so bloody shiny I could hold it out and see round the corner in its reflection. I doubt even now that I could describe in any way that others would recognise it, but here goes; a big blue sodding cone. Thatís it, no other way to put it. Stalland seemed to know something though and described it as guardian that he had heard stories about, a daemon guardian.

Times like this, I really wish that Drona could do more than talk about daemons, but luckily the rest of us were more than willing to step up and give it a try. Gaius and me went to the left, doing our best to make a phalanx in the narrow corridor for Drona to shelter behind, while Red and Stalland went right, just in case. Whatever the fucking thing was it moved so damned quickly, three spears seemed to shoot out of it and flew towards Drona the moment he broke cover, luckily only one hit him but it pinned him against the wall, going straight through his chest near the shoulder. Me and Gaius shot further round the corner bring our shields round to cover the daemonologist, hoping like hell one of the others would act soon. With no sign of Stalland, I had to hope that Red would do more than just stick her head round the corner Ė still more than The Whitelander did Ė and I wasnít going to be disappointed! She leapt round and with a gesture heartís fire engulfed the beast, and within seconds it had vanished, air rushing in to fill the void it left behind as it returned to wherever the bloody things go when this world has no further use for them.

From there we had a simple lock to get through and a bloody long corridor that couldnít make up its mind which way it wanted to go other than down so we just followed along, hoping for the best. Eventually we got a door very similar to the first we had to get through, but this one gave us a hell of a lot less trouble. Sadly, after another steep slope and finding a room that was lit for a change, a stumble and a fall on some loose stones announced our presence to room full of people who looked like they really did want to give us some bother.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 05:37:58 PM »
In all honesty it wasnít my best entrance into a room, but when you come face to face with what appeared to be a couple of dozen cultists up to who knows what kind of dodgy dealings, sliding fifteen foot on your arse down a passageway wasnít the worst way I could think of introducing myself. It was a bloody big room with a few other ways out, but straight off my attention was focused on the raised dais that was swarming with robed buggers, and the heat haze that seemed to be rising up from the centre, like it was coming out of some sort of fire pit; but I couldnít see any flames or smoke. The only light in fact was coming from a dozen or so braziers that were lit and seemed to be giving off as much of a funny smell as they were light.

Leaning back over my shoulder I did my best to indicate that I could have done with some help and luckily Stalland was on his way down. One of the roomís other occupants was making his way over to me though and made it clear by his gait and the sword hilt I could just make out that he was none too pleased to see me and would be even less happy with more of us joining him. Sod that though; if things were going to kick off, I needed some help. If these were members of some other shadow cartel I could probably have talked my out of the situation, but who knows what people who consort with Daemons want when interrupted by a good looking Pelosian such as myself.

As everyone else made their ways down, the chap was face to face, and I donít mind telling you O had my sword in my hand and my shield off my shoulder. Stalland, like me, quick with his words, took control of the situation and did a bloody good job of convincing the man we were just lost and needed to go through another tunnel that went nowhere near what they were up to.

While he went back to confer with hooded brigade who stayed up on their platform, we did our best to move subtly to the exit that would get us closest to the tower; at least as far as Stalland and me could figure it. Iíve got to say, there are times when I donít know what we would do without Drona; if he wasnít there to let us know these sods were set on summoning some dig fuck-off Daemon, I donít know how we would have worked it out for ourselves. I mean, there was only the hoods, the raised platform and the unnaturally hot pit in the ground, how were we to know. We had managed to make it about a third of the way towards the exit, ready to bolt if it looked like things werenít going to go our way when the spokesman came back and gave us a free pass. There was some bollocks about never seeing our faces again or they would be torn of by dark creatures man was not supposed to ken, but it just sounded like empty posturing to me, so we made our exit quick as you like.

Beyond the tunnel was more of the same until we came to another door, but with my ear at it, I could have sworn there was something big happening just beyond. As we were getting ready to push it in, my picks useless with the amount of rust in the mechanism, we heard something bad from behind too; a hell of racket that sounded like screaming. Whatever those boys were up to, it didnít sound like they were that successful. A quick boot in the right place then brute force to push the door free of the lock and we were through into a hell of a damp corridor, I could feel the wetness rush past me as it flooded into the air behind us. The noise was louder through the door, but it didnít take long to get to its source, three waterfalls of foul smelling liquid that could only be from the cityís sewage. Lucky there seemed to be a stout iron bridge that would get us past them, with only a locked door in the way.

It was nice to see a well used lock in this place and in only a couple of minutes I had gotten the best of it and we were through and over the bridge, clothes over our mouths and noses to keep the worst of the stench at bay. Before long there was another positive sign; a ladder leading up to what looked to be a way out. None of us were right sure where the hell we were, but anyway onto the ground level and a chance to check our surroundings was too good an opportunity to pass so we tried it out. Sadly the way was barred with a solid looking trap door that none of us could shift so Stalland went up to see of he could reason with whoever might be on the other side of it. From the half of the conversation I could hear from below, he really cocked it up; it sounded like he was trying to convince whoever was on the other side that he was an attractive woman, with a hell of a deep voice.

That put paid to that so we carried further on, unfortunately our way was soon stopped by a river of shit. Iím not the most squeamish of guys, but it was a good couple of foot deep and there was no way to say how long we would have to wade through it before we found another way out. We had no idea where we were going to come out to, and rising from the depths covered in crap wasnít going to make anyone amenable to us even if they were friendly, so we headed back to the trapdoor, this time to use some force.

Long story short, we managed to crack through the boards only to be faced by more wood so we had to talk our way through again. No matter how silken tongued I was, the only way we managed to get through was with a bit of hard coin, but the guy with the crossbow who was waiting for us took us at our word about being lost when he found out we were in an Umbruc; I swear, people in this city are happier to trust an honest thief than a corrupt watch cartel. I did feel a bit bad when we had to walk past his dear old Ma doing her knitting but it was worth it to get some fresh air.

A bit of a snack and figuring out where we were took no time, but Gaius proved useful again by helping everyone do what they could to cover their arms and armour before we set out into the city proper. We were happily on our way, sod off tower ahead of us, when things went a bit downhill though; we were being tailed. Not just Stalland, as I thought at first, but we had been made as a group, no matter what we did to stagger ourselves on the way. I dropped back a couple of times hoping to catch him alone, but he knew his game and I lost him while warning Red that we had company. Hopefully he hadnít run off to get some help and instead got scared off by me noticing him. That left only one thing I had to worry about, getting us into the sodding tower.

A quick scout had found a balcony we could scale, but there was a door on the ground floor with a pretty simple looking lock that offered little challenge, so in we went. I donít mind admitting that I lost my way once we got inside; there was so much chittering alien flesh to walk through, so many doors to choose from, stairs up down and round, with only a needle to point our way, that within five minutes, I doubt I could have found my way back out. It wasnít exactly safe either; Drona made a friend of some snake looking thing, but it seemed like there was plenty other creatures in there that looked to us as food. I did my best to throw some scraps of food around to keep them occupied, but more than once we had problems, Gaius once more had to throw himself in front of Drona, luckily, before I was needed, the Daemonoligist had sent it on its way. Eventually it looked like we were at the right door and once more there was a lock to pick.

There was something about this door though; my instinct told me to play as safe as I could, to keep my fingers clear and pull back at the first sound it made that I didnít like. Luckily, there seemed to be no trap and the lock snapped open after only a minute, but I still wasnít at my ease. I took out my knife and used the tip to push the door open, again ready to leap back at the first sign of trouble. Turns out I was right to have been worried about the door, but for the wrong reason. The moment it was more than a few inches clear of its frame a voice came from within, and it was no human voice I swear. It said one word, ĎFinally,í and I knew someone had been played. Those windows started looking pretty damned inviting, I can tell you, even though I had no idea what floor we were on.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
I might be alone in this, but sometimes the idea of bravery doesnít occur to me. There have been times this last week when I have done some damned dangerous stuff, setting up zip-lines and taking point into fights when I had no idea what the hell was going to happen, but all I could think of after that voice was; escape. I didnít think I was being a coward for running like my life depended on it, but thatís more than likely because it did. We all ran after a few seconds, and I donít think it was the bravest that stayed back at that point, just those who were still a little too shocked to understand that they needed to run. Hell, even the less than human denizens of the tower seemed scared by what we had set free.

Stalland had made for a door and I followed, no knowing if it led to an exit, but knowing it got me the hell away; that and Stalland had led us this far, if he was running somewhere chances were he had a better idea where he was going than I did. I almost ran into his back in the doorway though, he was pulling and pushing frantically at the metal ringed door handle. I shoved to one side and started jamming the dirk as hard as I could into the frame and shouted at him to push; even his strength wasnít enough. Until we heard the door behind us give way that is. Red came charging towards us as that point as I hacked into the frame again, and as the door behind us was hurled away by thick black tentacles we all pushed together and jarred it free of the frame, lock and all.

Ahead of us was freedom Ė a bridge between two of the towers and the ground three floors below Ė but we werenít all safe yet. The crush of daemons rushing to escape whatever the fuck we had unleashed knocked us from our feet, and although I was on my feet quickly, shouting at Stalland to set the grapple on the edge of the bridge, Gaius hadnít even made it out the door. More than one tentacle had him and had pulled him back into the darkness. Red was shooting arrows at the things and Drona was trying his own tricks to send it away, but before we had any luck, Gaius was whipped around the room, crashing into the ceiling and the floor, and from the look of it having several fingers broken as he tried to stop any more serious injuries. I couldnít leave him there, and knowing that escape was a swift climb away I ran back in, trying to grab at the thick tentacles to jam my gladius into them, hoping to free him. No such luck though, and instead he was pitched back into the unnatural darkness that was oozing from the beastís chamber into the larger room. That had less to do with my efforts though, and more town to Red throwing more heartís fire and scorching its flesh.

Not wanting to get any closer to the thing I picked up the dropped torch and flung towards Gaius, hoping to give him enough light to get safely away from the thrashing limbs, but the moment the flame touched the dark cloud moving further out with each second, it went out. I shouted to Gaius, trusting that sound wasnít baffled by the blackness, and as Red sent another arrow into the shadow, he burst from it, shield hanging limp, and charged across the room. As soon as he was behind me I started a rear guard action, keeping my shield up as Gaius made his way to the bridge.

The thing was far from done though, and almost took Red down before she made her way out too. I dropped my shield and grabbed an iron spike from by bag and started jamming it into the ground with the butt of my sword, hoping it would slow down the creature as everyone else made their way to safety. With one firmly in place, it crashed hard against the door, and I knew I would have to secure it with another. Behind me everyone was sliding down the rope, using the slope of the wall to make their ways easier and after the second spike was in place I turned that way myself. Behind me the door shattered as a tentacle burst through while I was throwing my pack and my shield over my shoulders. I saw the grapple and didnít even think of slowing down, grabbing it with one hand and leaping over the side, swinging far away from the curve of the building and almost running down it for the last few steps before the rope ran out and I jumped clear landing with the others. I couldnít tell you if anyone even thought to unhook the rope, but within seconds we were making our way downhill towards the nearest canard and away from the tower. I spotted a small group of people watching us from the shadows in the direction we had first approached the tower and thought they would be the Umbruc that claimed this area, that had been summoned the scout who had picked us up earlier, but they werenít in our way so we made it down without incident.

The next half an hour or so passed in an adrenalin come-down haze; we found a barge and from there a ferry that got us the Barge and Ferryman in the dirty grey light of pre-dawn where we had a quick drink to calm our nerves. Me Red had to head back to Jamal to de-brief but that didnít take long, he seemed more concerned with our mapping of the tunnels than what happened after; although there was a hint of disappointment that we didnít have the item we were sent for. A swift walk and we were back at Seraís, with Lawrence working the room and everyone else safe and sound; Drona was seeing to Gaiusí injuries and Stalland was at the bar. Red and I stayed up for a couple of drams but not too many; we werenít in a party mood and apart from discussing if we were played or not, we didnít even talk about work. I do think there is more to this than Stalland does, but spending years as a thief and many before that surrounded by the worst of the legions may have something to do with that. I still canít shake the feeling that were set up though; if whoever sent us in there had any knowledge of the interior, if they knew a magnetite needle would lead us to that room, why send us in with a needle and tell us to go where it led? Too many questions for me.

Might be that there are a few too many questions for Solange too; as we found out the next day. I was expecting to talk to her, but had no idea when so we all had a day of resting and cleaning arms and armour before a coach turned up for us. Finn was there to get us to the meeting and, being the professional he is, we talked about nothing but the weather until we arrived at the large building and were shown inside. It was a bloody nice room and there was some posh food laid out for us with some very nice wine until we got to talk to Solange in person and pass on all the info, including our encounter with the hooded twats. She took care of Gaiusí wounds before sending us on our way to get paid, and she didnít have any answers about a possible set up, but told us she would look into it. As an afterthought, she checked with me and Red as to how the newcomers had done and seemed satisfied that they had all pulled their weight, so when we got back to Jamal to get paid; we were all fully fledged members. She seemed quite impressed and I think if I play my cards right, I might even get bumped up a pay grade as a result of all this. Not the handful of coins and a couple of gems were to be sniffed at; means I can afford a round, even if we leave the gems at Seraís for safe keeping if we ever need some cash in a hurry.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:37:36 PM »
Itís always nice to get some time off, even if you love your job, and the fact that our little rest came at the time of the feast of some Whitelandish blacksmithís betrayal meant Stalland, and the rest of us, were up for a few. As were the rest of the Haak, with any excuse to put on a shoddy reproduction of some other cultureís normal mode of dress being part of the Pyraxian mindset. Turned out to be a pretty good night, but since nothing out of the ordinary happened, most of the night isnít worth writing about. The only thing of note for the entire day was the lack of news about the happenings at the Tower; I would have thought that someone would have noticed and got a Parvus from the voice for a right up.

All that out of the way though, and feeling refreshed, Finn came calling and told us we had another job on and needed to catch up to Jamal for the details. Since we needed to pick up some odds and sods anyway Ė a couple of crowbars and replacements for some of the adventuring gear we used up on our last job Ė it was convenient to go to Umbruc anyway. It was nice to know my crew were in demand, but I was expecting something a little more fitting for our talents than babysitting some rich buggerís party.

Turns out Ė as always Ė there was to it than that; the bugger was Pelosian, called Adoni Purglio, and was going to be taking a selection of girls from Nensiaís to spruce up his gathering. The fact that Gaius and I are both Pelosian gave us god reason to be there, everyone else was just tagging along to up the numbers. We were also charged with scoping the place out; who was there and why, and also general lay out including where the more choice items were kept. Not sure if anyone from the Umbruc is going to turn the place over, but there is no problem at all knowing as much as possible, just in case. Since the party was going to be full of the well to do amongst the naturalised Pelosians in the city, we needed reasons for us all to be there so after a quick chat we all had back stories and Jamal had sorted us out the necessary costumes to play the parts. Gaius and I were going as mid to high born Pelosians who were friends of the family, Drona was taking Red as his wife playing as gem traders (Adoni even tried to start a contract with him since he had at least some passing knowledge of the trade in his home land), and Stalland stuck with what he knew best and played a slightly richer version of himself.

It didnít take us long to scope out the place when we got there with a mind to defending it, and the silly sod had chosen the most open building in his grounds to have the get together. After talking to one of his men, another ex legionnaire called Ajundr, it turns out this was almost deliberate. Seems that Adoni had been having some problems with the Dummoni and they had been threatening him for a while, and the daft fuck was being stubborn, refusing to change his plans or even move the party to the main house; practically a fortress compared to the villa we would have to defend. I swear, I could have cleared damn near any wall with a quick vault, for lads who know what theyíre doing and spend a lot of time up in trees; even the tallest wall would pose bugger all problems. Knowing that, Stalland took the trip back to Nensiaís to get all our gear and weapons, and Ajundr did what he could to make some barricades for any doors they may try to get through. Now just to get comfy and enjoy the party until the partisans turn up to skewer out gracious host.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »
Writing about a fight, and almost certainly reading about, is never as interesting or exciting as living through it. There are many reasons why, but for me the biggest is that during a fight my attention has to be in so many places, my nerves responding so quickly to anything that happens, that nothing stays in my long term memory other than the basics, and that is no fun to read. There is none of the panic, the elation, the heart-rending horror or palpable relief. Thatís not to say we jumped straight into a fight at the start of the party, no; everything started off fine.

Stalland had no problem making an impression on the young ladies, and Gaius and IĖ being Pelosian Ė fitted in just fine, even Red and Drona did a good job of making themselves seem like just a couple more party guests. Worth noting however that it looked like Drona wasnít quite playing the part of the husband and wasnít forceful enough in defending the honour of his Ďwifeí. This was seen from a distance however, so there may have been more to it than I overheard, but he will still need to up his game if we ever need to pull something like this off again. I myself ended up chatting with a Pyraxian; a fighter of some skill and easy confidence named Avnia. He worked for a trader, trailblazing into new territories and opening up new markets; not knowing enough on the subject and not wanting to blow my cover, I kept the conversation on more martial topics and he seemed happy to let his tongue run away with him on such matters. In fact, those few occasions when I thought I had an opening into finding out more info that could be of use to the Umbruc, he clammed right up.

Of course, the reason for the party was the ceremony, and our talk was cut short as everyone was ushered to the pool in the small grove for it to begin. It seemed like Stallandís pet was unhappy in the surroundings, so they left towards the front door, but as I turned my attention back to the proceedings I noticed a difference to the smell of the burning; it wasnít just incense, there was burning wood mingled with it too. Knowing full well that what I was doing would give the game away, I broke from the ritual and quick timed it to the back of the building, and threw the smoke from the braziers I saw much darker smoke rising and in a second I had my sword in my hand and had thrown open the door letting smoke billow into the courtyard. No point worrying about our cover anymore, I thought, so I just shouted for everyone to do what needed to be done.

This is where the blur started; some of what I know happened I may not have even found out about until the event when talking to the rest of my crew. I know that Ajundr was killed at the gate, and that a pack of beasts charged through the back door. Gaius, in his usual selfless but ill-informed way through himself off the first floor to deal with them and just about managed to live to tell the tale. Avnia had tried to rescue our gracious host, but to no avail, taking him out through the back door into a hail of arrow fire. Red was similarly stuck with many arrows, and this one thing I am certain off; I ran from doing my best to get others to safety and threw myself into the room she was in to make sure she was OK. Gods only know what I hoped to accomplish, I am no medic and when I tried to reassure her everything was going to be fine, bleeding as heavily as she was, I got as tongue tied as I always do around women unless Iím playing them, and made a total dick of myself. Looking back on it, I doubt it helped that the one trying to make her feel better also had the shaft of an arrow poking out of his chest.

We werenít alone in the room for long though as others flooded in to avoid not only the arrows, but also the fire bombs that were raining down on the villa. With all the girls and the one boy in the room with us, it was time to look for a way out and sadly there were none available. I am however nothing if not tenacious and when presented with a wall I need to get through I will always find a way; if thereís not a lock to pick or even a door, I will still get through. On this occasion I had bugger all choice but to start hacking at the walls and praying that Adoni had cut some corners on building this thing. Thankfully it didnít take long for the others to spot what I was doing and lend a hand and as fire still fell from the sky we had made a hole big enough for the first of us to push through, leaving the bigger ones behind to widen the hole.

I went through fairly quickly to try and pull bricks away from the outside and remind everyone to follow the light to get straight to the back door. Eventually only one of the girls was left and she was just a bit too big for the hole we had made. I knew that she wasnít going to go through without a hell of a lot of effort and so did she. She was telling everyone to go and some of them did; I donít blame them, we had been beaten black and blue already and staying for one girl was a hell of risk. Like I said though, Iím a tenacious fucker and was not leaving without her. Iím also a realist though and when Red was offering to stay I had to get a bit vocal in convincing her to get to safety; she was even more pale than usual and it was breaking my heart to think of her risking even more for this girl when others with less injuries had fled. Hell, I only had the one arrow in me, and in the half light of the burning villa I could see at least three broken shafts pushing out of her flesh.

With everyone finally running for safety I propped my shield up the best I could in case arrows started flying in our direction and went at the wall even harder than before, levering stones and boards away until Lucieel could squeeze through. With her ahead of me and the shield over my back we ran for the house, seeing some of the others pulling open the door and slipping inside.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 02:02:31 PM »
Talking to Adoni again and keeping a respectful tone in my voice was not going to be easy. When we made it back to the house proper I did a quick scout around and was quickly impressed by the solid construction and dedication to the Pelosian style of architecture; the latter would make it very easy for me to draw up a basic floor plan for the Umbruc at the least. However, because the fool had decided to throw his party in the open air knowing full well the partisans had threatened him; I was going to take just a small amount of revenge before I left. It was simple enough to find a few small items that could be easily pocketed and would hopefully not be noticeable in their absence for a while. Even if he did spot them, he has reason enough now to doubt the loyalty of his own servants and a small bit of pilfering will do nothing more than confirm he that he needs to be more vigilant.

From an upper window I saw the approach of a group of people with torches held high and new that a watch cartel was on the way. Although we had broken no laws, with the exception of some light pilfering, I thought it prudent to get the hell out of there before any questions were asked. It took only a few minutes to round up the troops and our charges, a moment longer to leave our best wishes with Adoni, and we were out of the door, over a wall away from the approaching torches and before long passing through a gateway, paying the toll to return us to our home. Heavily injured though we were, it didnít take long for Gaius to cover the more obvious flesh wounds with cloaks so we got through with no more bother than expected.

The trivialities of the groupís debrief arenít worth mentioning here, but the good news is that all the rest of the crew had their membership made official and are now Quarti, while myself and Red were made Terto. This means not only do we get free room and board, but the two of us both get a small amount of money each month to maintain the lifestyle appropriate to us, and the higher ups seem very interested in us and proud of our successes. Proud enough to leave us to our own devices for a while and let us plan our own jobs, working with the same crew.

With that in mind, we have started putting the bones of a job together involving a grabby young Pelosian from the party. After I went back to speak to Adoni about some possible security leaks, we got not only the information we needed on the little bugger, but a formal letter of introduction to his father, a big fish that may be beyond our capabilities to land at present; but the letter would be worth a significant amount to anyone who thinks they have a shot at him. Our plan is a bit simpler, due to the fact that our target appears to be pretty damned simple himself.

With a good looking damsel in distress, Red, turning up at his door with a lady in waiting, one of Nensiaís girls, asking for help to free her from her overbearing husband, Drona, by hiring another Daemonologist, to be confirmed, while Stalland, Gaius and myself make sure it all goes off without a hitch. What could be simpler?