Author Topic: Gaius  (Read 2646 times)

Chriscross

• Out Of The Shadows
    • View Profile
Gaius
« on: December 16, 2009, 03:10:22 AM »
Hey everyone this is my character  background, i thought that i would right this in the first person, i  hope thats ok with everone :)

Gaius

The best place to start any tale is the beginning. Whether an epic saga, or the humblest of stories spun around a campfire, they all have a start, a place where the characters take their first tentative steps toward Death or Glory. In all the tales i've heard the hero finds his Glory, it is a cruel twist of fate however, that in the real world you learn all to quickly that death is the easier of the two to achieve. But enough of the morbidness for now. I presume you have come to learn about me.
       My story starts with my parents. He was a legionnaire, she was his faithful camp wife, and though the early years of their marriage where not perfect, they were happy nonetheless. The constant worry for her husband in battle must have taken its tole on her, but by the grace of pelo, or sheer luck my father remaind remarkably unscathed. Upon completing 20 years in the Legion he retired and was presented with a small farm on which to live.
      This is where i come in, the first of seven children i was quickly tasked with the safeguarding of my siblings while our parents were working, and times were good. We spent our days exploring imaginary kingdoms and our nights listening to tales of valient soldiers, men like our father, defeating monsterous foes and saving hundreds with their deeds, and needless to say, i wanted to be one. On my 12th birthday my father presented me with his old sword and shield. To a soldier these items would be useless, the sword dull and blunt the shield batterd and splinterd with age, but to a 12 year old boy these items quickly became extensions of my body. Every rock and tree bacame a new enemy to face, the corn fields surrounding my home became legions of foes that i dispatched sigle handedly with mighty swings. My Father taught me many things, but by far the most valuable lesson was swordsmanship, how to move, how to breathe, when and where to strike were more useful to me than being able to tell weather patterns or knowing when to harvest corn.

I will end here for tonight but i will continue my story soon.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:14:32 PM by 50 »
Knowing is half the battle, the other half is violence

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gaius
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:42:17 PM »
 ;D
Good Stuff.

Chriscross

• Out Of The Shadows
    • View Profile
Gaius part 2
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 03:03:24 AM »
My 18th birthday came swiftly and it was time for me to leave this idyllic place on my own journey. I will never forget the last glimpse of home i alowed myself. There was the strangest mixture of pride and sorrow and of course the most horrible feeling, that everyone feels, but few speak of. It's the knowing that this may be the last time you see this place again. My only comfort was that i was not alone. My 17 year old brother had begged to come with me, my parents would have refused had i not sworn to protect him. It did not take us long to be inducted as recruits into the local legion. This was a relatively newly formed legion, im sure i could count the number of men with previous combat experience on one hand. We were clean, fresh, our equipment new and hopes high. Our daily routine consisted of marching and one to one fencing drills, in short, we were toy soldiers.
     It brought little surprise to me when i heard the news that we were marching to war. They told us on the parade ground and I was surprised to find that instead of the Pelosian zeal i should be feeling i was nervous. I joined in with my fellow soldiers cheers and excited hugs, but unlike them, my cheers were hollow for we new nothing of what we were about to see.
     Days and weeks of marching and preperation followed, but all too soon I found myself on the deck of the boat that would deliver us to the pyraxian docks. We were going to be the seventh boat to shore. At first our destination was a mere silhouette, but before long we could pick out buildings against the night sky and they were burning. We watched in complete scilence, for it was beautiful. The colours of the flames, as they playfully danced skward, seemed so inviting, and for a moment I completely forgot why we were here. Faint sounds drifted towards us from the shore, they were not so inviting because for the first time i realised that people are dying and all thoughts of beauty were banished and replaced with those of barbarism.

Chriscross

• Out Of The Shadows
    • View Profile
Gaius part 3
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 04:15:36 AM »
The scene we were greeted with at the docks was horrific. The local populace had risen up to meet us with as much force as they could muster. All kinds of people were here from Whitelanders to Dromish and they had all kinds of weapons, bows, bolas, swords, axes and kitchen knives, they were brave, but against a proffesional army they were being slaughterd. A young officer rallied us to him for a counter charge and it was at this point when our discipline and proffesionalism was replaced with our impetuous bloodlust. Many of the men, my younger brother included, broke formation and charged to the centre of the resistance and our defeat was sealed. We were fewer in number but our shield wall gave us the advantage and as that crumbled the battle became a brawl. Panic took over me, I had lost sight of my brother in the fray and i had to find him. Any notion of good or bad, right or wrong was gone from my mind now. Anyone who got in my way was cut down, regardeless of gender, race or allegiance, i had to make sure he was ok. It was a fellow Pelosian soldier that ended my frenzy, as I went to remove him from my path he drove his sword into my stomach, i fell to the floor, ready to accept my fate.
     When i closed my eyes on the battlefield i never expected to open them again, but i did. I opened them to a hospital, filled with he dead and dying of both sides and for the next 6 months that was my home. As soon as i was strong enough to walk i made daily trips through the halls hoping to find a familiar face among the sick. But alas no success. I recoverd to almost full strength and was released from the hospital a free man. There was no part of me that wanted to return to Pelosia, for i would return having failed myself, my family and my country, i would rather they think my dead as a hero than alive as what i was, nothing. I quickly learned to hide in plain sight as Pelosians wern't the most popular people anymore, for two years i became a recluse, mourning the loss of my brother for i asume him dead. Even though i was an enemy here, i still had skills in fighting. I wanted to use these to save lives, to repent for all the pain i had caused, the local Umbruk provided me with all the opertunities i needed to protect people with what ever i can offer. So it is here you find me, slashed with steel, gored by fish, but alive, somehow.