Author Topic: The Barge and Ferryman  (Read 134601 times)

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
The Barge and Ferryman
« on: September 29, 2009, 12:55:13 PM »
...From the outside the three story building looks badly worn, a half-timbered construction that manages somehow to retain ancient cracked plaster and black stained timbers on the upper floors balancing on the soot covered stone of the ground level.
The upper levels become each significantly wider than one below giving the impression the building leans over you as you approach (or possibly that the whole thing is going to topple over drunkenly into the harbour. It does however sport expensive glass windows with shutters though the curtains inside are always drawn.

The front heavy wooden door opens into the large wide taproom with a low beamed roof.
Its main feature is an unusual broad circular bar in the centre of the room (which has doors leading through the ‘pillar’ style back wall of the bar for employee access).
Otherwise the taproom is all soft golden wood polished by countless hands and feet, worn but serviceable blue ‘velvet’ snug seats, wooden tables and high ‘bar-stools’
The far back wall opposite entrance has a number of doors leading to kitchens, cellars, storerooms etc.. and a narrow stair is fitted against both side walls, rising over the snugs leading up to first and second floor balconies where there are doors to private rooms and bedrooms.

The current Owner is a man called Wedlan, a 58 year old Pyraxian native he has lived in the city of the Alla-Flame all his life and is a grizzled veteran of the canards.
Landlord for last 13 years he is still big, healthy and well muscled, sporting a bald head and thick black moustache. For the most part loud, happy and larger than life, but brooks no-nonsense regardless of background from clients.

The establishment is both Tavern and Inn; never shut it is by far the most popular and largest of the Dock-front establishments and a neutral ground between the rival North and South canard gangs. A renowned location for gossip, casual employment and excitement it is busy day and night, with a wide and varied clientele – rich nobles slumming it, merchants and ships captains meeting, foreign crews, daemons, bargemen and ferrymen, Tremallu, and Umbruc…

(a thread for in-character chatting and occasional bits of local gossip).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 01:52:23 PM by 50 »

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
Re: The Barge and Ferryman
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
Its been damn quite these past few days... It can't last though.
What, Yes, I'll happily have a drink, cheers !
The blood ? Oh dont worry its not mine, some damned Pelossian rowdy gave me too much lip when I questioned him.
Gods, is it really two years since the bastards invaided ? Well heres to all the brave townsfolk and Tremellu who fought them ..oh I seem to be dry ..ah thanks...heres to better years !
'Nikaneth'
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:32:18 PM by 348 »
"When you get old, you start getting strange notions...."
Judge Minty

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »
What, someone is actually helping fund that lying set of inky fingered shit-stirrers !
I remember all the crap the bastards peddled about me and my mates when we first patrolled here. They wouldn't print the truth even when I paid them a visit and tried to get them to stop their weasly lies.
 Hope they realise this time round which side their breads buttered on , might have to pop round and have a chat .
 No its not my original bow..if you know whats good for you , you'll talk about something else, like the round you need to buy for everyone.
'NikaNeth'
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 07:31:56 PM by 348 »
Judge Minty

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 04:05:21 PM »
 No I don't sell 'things' ! You need to look for my wife or her cronies.
Wink at me like that again and I'll send you back to whatever hell spawned you deamon.
Judge Minty

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:36:30 PM »
The crowd at the bar parts slightly as a short but curvaceous woman slips through, she has dusty blonde hair (scraped back on one side in the current style) and large grey/blue eyes accentuated by dark eyeliner.

Garbed in tight fitting trews, calf high boots and a blue doublet held closed at the waist by a bright orange silk sash (through which a sheathed dirk is thrust) she moves with confidence and draws several admiring glances.

Taking a stool at the bar next to the inebriated 'Nicaneth' she slides an arm round his waist and breathes in a slightly foreign accent,
now then lover, not trying to frighten the new boys are you? …We all know your just a fluffy Herba really”   

From somewhere in the nearby crowd there is a stifled snort of laughter and spray of beer-foam as an elbow is firmly put in ribs…

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 01:16:33 PM by 50 »

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 12:10:09 AM »
Lucius

Looking more than a little bit like he has just come second in a fight.

Bugger me! Even the Voice is saying you sods should stop beatin' the crap out of us! And by 'us' I mean 'me'. You see any fucker with a legion tattoo on display, let me know; I will come running with my biggest arse kickin' boots on.
Check out my blog, it's about gaming

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »
Lucius

Right then, I have a cunning plan. But I do wish I had my shield. I'm thinking that making my way to the backdoor with you guys covering me as well as you can should keep me safe for a while. Getting them to open the door will be the cunning part.

I will put on the strongest Pelosian accent I can and complain bitterly about not being able to get laid and that just because my countrymen came over to give you a kicking is no reason to keep me out. Hopefully that will get them riled up enough to open the door at which point you buggers best come running or fill them full of arrows so we can get inside. With any luck the other two guys I was meeting should have turned up by then and we will have a bit of extra muscle.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 01:38:32 PM »
Nicaneth,
All right, I conceed that there are some good Pelosians. Mainly those who don't want anything to do with their homeland. Anyone whose done over some of those Legionary goons is fine by me.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:40:34 PM by 348 »
Judge Minty

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »
Lucius

Of course, wait until I duck before you start shooting.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 03:05:08 PM »
Stallans

Pelosians, Raphaelians, Pyraxians.  In my experience there isnt much between them when their blood is up, and they all bleed the same colour too.

Their women on the other hand, well they are another matter!

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »
Lucius

From what I hear, Whitelandish women are to be feared for their magic gifts, so who blames you for looking further afield?!

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Nothing wrong with the mystical arts, the only reason whitelandish women do it is they are the only ones usually smart enough to do them.

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 04:18:08 PM »
Tess (the woman sat with her arm around nicaneth).

no offence to present company <nods to Stallans> but I’m still not sure I entirely trust the Whitefolk after the way so many turned on us during the invasion.

<turns to nicaneth> which reminds me, your a Tremmallu - is it right what the voice says, that there is a new watch cartel of Whitelanders led by a Whitelander starting up?

...surely that cant be right, who in the fiery pit would fund that?"

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 04:50:05 PM »
Lucius

If it's true, lets hope this lot can handle their narcotics a bit better! Or maybe steer clear all together.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »
Good lady, Stalland addresses Tess, Whitelanders, unlike Pelosians, Raphaelians or even the Dromish or Battari are not motivated by pride in their race, or home and little do their care for the opinions of others, most whitelanders care only about the opinions of their peers and frankly, they are judged by a measure only a whitelander would understand, not all of us turned in the invasion, and those that did probably did out of some instinct for plunder and mayhem rather than any sense of betraying Nosterpyrax.