Author Topic: Farina's Sketchbook  (Read 51 times)

Will_you_please

• View Profile
Farina's Sketchbook
« on: February 27, 2020, 01:18:03 PM »

Farina and Orla’s grand escape. Age 12
I had heard the guardsmen talking about that lone tree on the outskirts of the village again, the one I can almost make out from this distance, almost like it’s taunting me. The chieftain says I am not allowed to leave the village till I can look after myself and its for my own benefit that I remain under watch from the guards till I see differently. “sightseeing is not part of your training” is something of a catch phrase for him recently.
Luckily, I wasn’t always being watched so I had more than plenty of time to ‘train’ as instructed, shapeshifting to be precise. The easy part was for Orla to leave and wait for me at the entrance of the village.
Birds have always been my main reason to daydream. Being denied freedom that birds themselves take advantage of is almost selfish. So now it’s my time to give myself the freedom of one night.
Nobody was to be on watch for birds as I never showed anyone this result of my training, made it almost too easy to fly over the village and meet Orla. Perched myself on the closest branch on the closest tree from the lone tree everyone talked about, while Orla sat panting near the base of the tree.
The sight was worth the trouble I would’ve endured if I was caught tonight. Ill just haver to settle drawing this later since I couldn’t exactly bring my book. Think I’ll have to call it “The grand escape of Wolves and Birds”

Will_you_please

• View Profile
Re: Farina's Sketchbook
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 04:58:08 PM »

Farina's Mask. Age 10
These masks are important to my people and important to our culture. We each are given a mask when we preform a feat that is considered worthy enough for the clan head. One of the senior witches rewarded me with one when I was 10 and I have never forgotten the feeling.
My training was tiring at times. Unsettling and tiring. I became more and more beast like with every lesson, more deadly with every test. I was more adapted to controlling and forcing creatures to my will rather than my other boring lessons on Witchsight.
When the time came for me to do my last test, my last lesson, I was pitted against a large bear. I can't recall what people called it, I can only remember it being released into the pit and then I was standing above its corpse. According to my teacher, I had forced the creature to show me its weak points and slashed with my claws until it stopped moving. Amanmaar, our head Keeper, was impressed at the lessons the new witches had done but I wasn't interested in what he was saying at the time. I was told that my teacher Svannih had wanted me to come see her immediately after the meeting with Amanmaar, hopefully she has good news rather than another lesson.
It turns out that she had expected me to pass regardless and had a mask set aside for me. Bland as it was I loved it. Something that was proof of my strength, abilities and training. Luckily, I can cover the mask in whatever I want and make it apart of my headdress. Just need to settle on a creature...I've always been fond of the honey badgers that live nearby. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2020, 03:57:46 PM by Will_you_please »

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 03:43:48 PM »
Nice!  8) I am so jealous, I have zero drawing ability and its always pained me.

I know its probably wrong, but I do tend to think of Farina like this.
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

Will_you_please

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 03:54:33 PM »
I started thinking of Farina to be like her when I found out she could have a wolf familiar  ;D except Farina is developing her claws and learning to become an actual wolf

Will_you_please

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »

Glenys’s sketch of Farina 

Training her abilities was all Farina was doing during most of her days, but the few hours she had outside of training she would draw and write. Not great stories or even wise words for the clan, but stories about her life as she goes on living it. 

Farina had friends within the clan and there were few she would open to about her drawings and stories. One of her friends, Glenys, had stayed awake past hours to talk to Farina and the two had bonded over their drawings of various objects, people and events. As the night became darker and darker Farina had fallen asleep and left her sketchbook so Glenys could draw something of her own. 

The next day came and so did the long period of training. Glenys had talked about how Farina would like what she had drawn and wouldn’t say any more about it. Her training would go on for a longer time that night so Farina went to see what had been entered in her sketchbook, waiting for people to clear for the night she opened it and found a drawing of herself. On the back of the page was a short sentence. 

“For Farina, let this be shown that witches have a soft side regardless of what path they may follow.”