Author Topic: Bran's Journal  (Read 196 times)

Brewster24

• View Profile
Bran's Journal
« on: December 04, 2019, 12:05:51 PM »
Why did I leave the Army?

What the FUCK is going on?? If I thought the level of politics and deseption in the army was bad than the top level of Ambrian society is a whole other level of fucked up! I'm not one for writing but I reckon writing this down is the only way for me to sort my head out.

So Ambrias mortal enemy and a disgraced member, no, EX-member of the Ordo Magica, both are at least assumed dead by the crown and therefore Ambrians. At worst their deaths are faked, by the crown and then they are kept hidden and 'secure' by the crown, with lies about their fate peddled by the crown to unsuspecting Ambrians.

Now I don't understand what it takes to run a kingdom and I assume that sometimes deceiving the public is in the greater interest of the kingdom but to have two case's so similar for such dangerous reasons, I don't understand it.

I fear I either will never understand what is going on right now and that it will eat at my soul to my death or in the process of understanding my death will be brought about a lot sooner than I would like.

I can't believe I'm starting to think this but I am being to sympathise with K and think that maybe Q is going down a very dangerous and dark path. At least K is trying to stop history repeating itself but as for V, he seems to have no positive reason for being kept alive.

It makes me wonder was he kept alive and then he's escaped with the help of some nobles to take down the crown and cause destruction and chaos or is this all part of Q's plan. Whatever has happened I'm starting to think we should stop finding answers and try and get rid of some of these threats even if they are protected by the Crown. I never thought I'd be thinking Treas... No I can't even write the word.

What I would give to be back with my men in the army. I like the group I'm with now, most of them are good fun, all are useful in their own way. One of them is even a little scary though as long as she's with us we should all be fine. Anyway as much as I'm getting on with them, they seem to draw danger towards them, danger above their current pay grade.

I regret now how I dealt with my retirement. Under the circumstances when the Captain left, turning down the promotion made sense with the others lined up for it. I could never have forseen Vernon Dardell happening. After that sorry afair at the village I needed to do something but I wish I hadn't retired to do so. Surely with the adjutant and my men respecting me as they do, once Vernon was out the door I could have rectified my mistake and gotten the promotion. I would have taken our unit back to what it was when the Captain was around and I fear my life would have been a lot simpler.

Brewster24

• View Profile
Re: Bran's Journal
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2020, 02:07:07 AM »
Bran, The Well Loved Insubordinate and The Hill Hider

Vernon fucking Dardell, what a pain in my arse he’s become to be. An orphan, hardened veteran and he has been the biggest problem I’ve had to deal with. Bare with me but I’ll try and explain why this man is, what Crack Bones would call ‘ a shower of cocks’.

My parents died when I was young, I had no other family so to survive I ran with a gang of orphans. We committed pretty petty crimes, stealing and such like, to get by but nothing of note happened for years that I can remember. One day however I got caught by a soldier just before I was about to rob from a market stall. I don’t know why but he dragged me away and instead of beating me or turning me in he told me he’d been in a similar situation as a kid. He said “I know your a good kid and your only doing this to survive but you need to change something or you won't survive for much longer”. He let me go and I never saw him again. I reckon he wasn’t trying to get me to join the army but that’s what I vowed I would do. So I spent a few months bulking up and growing and once I reckoned I looked old enough or at least tough enough to enlist I did. The thing is we were fighting the ‘Dark Ones’ at this stage so they’d probably take anyone as long as their not crippled or insane.

The next few decades where brutal but I survived. If I wasn’t fighting the Dark Ones hordes, I was fighting my fallen comrades that had been brought back to fight us and then when the war ended there was the arduous trek over the Titans to Ambria. Once there we then had to fight the Clan’s so we could stay. I’ve been fighting my whole life you see and it turns out I’m pretty good at it but you would be if you survive this long.

Anyway I’m waffling….. I’m a hardened veteran now, part of the army stationed in the Duchy of Narugor. I’m a Sergeant serving under a well liked but not very powerful noble called Captain Durzo. Now part of the reason I think that he is so well thought of is probably because as Nobles go, well he’s pretty common so in the army at least nobody sees him as a threat. Why do I mention that he’s well liked? That’s because though he’s great at his job, he’s calm, daring and very competent, if he’s given orders he’ll always meet the end goal. What happens in between is a whole different story. Now a few times there were no major deviations from the plans so he’d get away with it. But one or two major cases of insubordination and he was toast. He had to be made an example of but luckily for him, being a noble, he was merely fired.

It didn’t last though. Remember I said he was well liked? Well he was very popular it turns out and the big wigs realised how useful he could be so 3 days later he was back but with a new brief. To create a unit almost separate from the normal division, half the size of his previous unit, doing job’s where the end goal was all that mattered. Missions that needed speed and adaptability. Perfect for Durzo!

We’d fought together for at least 7 years by now and we got on well so he picked me to carry on being his Sergeant. We got to hand pick our men, we trained and trained to make sure we’d be ready and then the missions started coming and we started beating them. We lost a few men but the odd’s we were facing any normal Unit would call them suicide. It was tough work but we loved it. That is until Durzo got injured. An unlucky hit from a crossbow bolt, right in the shoulder. He was OK after a month or so but he was too injured for this line of work so he retired and we never saw him again.

I took brief control of the unit, I kept them sharp waiting for the next mission but no missions came. After a week the Adjutant called me to his headquarters. We were old friends from fighting together against the Dark One’s but he was as smart as I was good at fighting so he went one way and I went another.  Anyway he wanted advise on Durzo’s successor. Two Captain’s were in the running. I’d not met either but from what I heard I reckoned both, with my experience helping, would be quite competent at replacing Durzo. Then he shocked me with another question. “ Would you like the job?” It took me a while to reply and even longer to work it out in my head. I knew I could do the job. Normally I’d never get offered this promotion but this unit wasn’t your normal unit. Being a Captain though, you need a level of distance from the normal soldier that I didn’t want so I politely refused, giving my reasons and recommended the other two Captains. The Adjutant understood and that was that, we’d have a new Captain within the week. How I would regret my decision!

A few days later I hear some rumours that the prospective candidates been reassigned. One was a fairly horizontal move, to another division, fairly normal practise but the other had been as good as demoted. He was still a Captain but he’d been moved to the arse end of nowhere, somewhere he’d likely die within the year and nobody would care. Something was wrong. And so I was, two days later, called to the Adjutant again. His face visibly attempting to hide anger. Next to him, my new Captain. Vernon Dardell. Third maybe Fourth born son to Baron Dardell. The fact I can't remember which should say a lot.

At first things seemed to be going OK. He allowed me to keep running the day to day, shadowing me to see how things ran. A bit unorthodox but so was Durzo and Vernon seemed eager to learn, if a little quiet. From what I saw he was a good technical fighter so I reckoned with some guidance from me this could work out OK. Then came our first mission, our last mission together. A disturbance in a village half a day’s ride from camp. Not much was known but it was deemed serious enough that we were sent at once. When we arrived at the village we realised they were right to send us. It had been taken over by a large group of bandits, strange this close to the army base which was confusing but we had a problem to deal with and we were going. We were outnumbered but we knew we could mange it, we had done before. That is all of us bar Vernon. It was at this point the true Vernon came out. He was dithering, wanting to wait for reinforcements, leaving the villagers to die and giving the bandits ample time to escape. We had to act now.

Some of the men were noticing how the Captain was acting. I suggested he take 5 men and wait by the hill overlooking the village. When we gave a signal we would attack and he would oversee the fight, sending the men to give orders as he saw fit. Not the way we usually did things but we could get the job done, he could save face and maybe after this I could guide him into becoming a semi competent Captain. Fucking nobles! Paying their way to shit they don’t understand.

So the signal was given, the fight ensued and we quickly suppressed the bandits, saving most of the villagers. Once the situation was under control I went to find Vernon. But where was he? The top of the hill was empty. He and the other men weren’t coming towards us.Then I found him, exactly where I’d left him at the base of the fucking hill. He was troubled, pacing with the men clearly disturbed by the new Captains lack of courage. His inexperience I could help with, but with men seeing him like this I knew this wouldn’t end well. His cowardice would either be the end of us all or he would mysteriously die in some ‘accident’ with no man willing to explain how it came to pass. This couldn’t continue.

I rounded up the men, we headed back to camp and once we’d all settled back into the camp routine I went straight to the Adjutant. “I formally request that me and my men be transferred to another Captain”. The Adjutant laughed, “ he can’t be that bad, anyway the division is heading to Karvosti, you’ll have to make do”. When I didn’t leave and he noticed how serious I was, “ I’m sorry Bran but we leave in two weeks, there is little I can do. What happened?” I didn’t know what to say, we were possibly heading to war and there was little that could be done. I could tell the truth but if Dardell’s father is powerful enough to get him this job, what will become of me when I out his son as a coward.I couldn’t let him keep my men, he’d get them all killed. For the first time since I was a boy I began to PANIC!

“I wish to retire with immediate effect, I have done my time and I wish to leave immediately” The Adjutant looked shocked, “Vernon Dardell showed himself to be a coward, he hid from battle in the view of his men and he is not fit to lead. I and at least 5 men witnessed this.They will swear to it that it is true” Stunned silence almost deafening from my friend. “ I will pack my things, turn in my equipment and leave by morning. I’m sorry to leave this way”. Then I turned to leave and as I walked out of the tent I heard a sad voice “Goodbye old friend”. I left and didn’t turn back. I made a mistake I will always regret but hopefully my men would be safe. That night I quietly packed, I told 4 men I trusted the most what had happened and what would likely come and then I went to sleep.

I was up before first light and I tried to quietly slip away when Dardell approached. “Bran, the Adjutant has called me to his tent…” His face initially gave off an air of panic and fear but once he saw I wasn’t dressed in uniform and that I had packed to leave his face suddenly gave off nothing more than hatred and disgust. If not for the Officer there to take him to the Adjutant I might of seen a shred of courage erupt from him but he was taken away and I slipped off, heading to Thistle Hold. Soon after I heard rumours he had left disgraced while I was left with regret and sorrow over the sad end to my career. Maybe I should have taken the promotion or outed Vernon but not retired. Who knows what would have happened but at least my men were safer without him.

There ends the story of why I and Dardell hate each other so. He took all that I had and I left him disgraced as a coward. To think the next time I see him may be in the middle of the Davokar. I’d rather meet an angry troll.

As a side note, the message I sent in his direction the other day reads as follows, “ Though not many hills, the Davokar has many a Tree to hide behind - B”

Brewster24

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 04:11:15 PM »
A Sad Lesson

The Davokar is getting more dangerous, we got a little sloppy and we paid for it. Will and Shigg died and I can't help but feel we could have prevented it. Will, Shigg and Kit went into a fortified settlement to make sure it was safe. That made sense, they were the best for the job, sneaky and quiet. The issue was we were to far from them. Once they cleared the first section we should have moved in, ready to fight if anything happened.

As it turned out something did happen, they were attacked by terrible insects I hope to never see again. By the time we made it into the fray the damage was done, Shigg had been stuck and Will was likely bleeding out. By the time we could tend to them it was too late.

I'm saddened by what has happened but it won't get me down. Its not the first time I've been in a group that's been caught out but every time it happens you need to learn or you won't get many chances to mess up before you die. This is also the Davokar, this far in is new territory for most of us and those experienced enough know not matter your skill surviving needs good fortune. From now we must stick close, keep focused and keep the group together. It's going to get harder and we need the strength of the group to survive.

On that note Constance was particularly troubled by the two deaths. She is skilled and enthusiastic but she is definitely out of her depth. Her abilities make her worth bringing along but I need to make sure her spirits keep up. I gave her some basic training with her weapons and armor and told her keep it up which should keep her busy when she has free time. I'll keep encouraging her but it's key she sticks to the centre of the group. In the front line she could become a burden. Or the next member of the group to die.

Brewster24

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 04:26:58 PM »
Toads, Disagreements and a Imaginary Dragon

I'm not usually scared when entering a fight and when I am it's a good thing. It quickens the mind, sharpens the senses. I control the fear, I use it. It doesn't use me. So fighting 4 King Toads wasn't a problem for me. Except I couldn't fight them, I was stuck on a bank unable to help. This is becoming a theme which is begging to vex me.

First it was the elves shooting at us then retreating before we could fight back and now an enemy from the water I couldn't attack. Fighting is what I'm good at and not being able to use my talents for the group is annoying me. I hope it doesn't continue to be a problem.

On the fight with the toads it didn't end well. We won, gained a day or two's worth of rations, though disgusting its food. We lost a mule however and several good people in the fight. Tjorborn and a few others afterwards disagreed with the plan to cross the river in groups. I get what they are saying but I fear if we went across together it could have been a lot worse but I guess we will see next time we cross.

On a bright note I think my ring could become very useful. Telling the main King Toad we were dangerous and poisonous didn't do anything that I could tell but telling it there was a dragon on the way seemed to draw it out of the water for a look. The ring could be a very good tool in the future. As for the future I pray we don't lose anyone else and our next fight is one I can participate in.

Brewster24

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
Nothing like a good simple fight

We have made it to Symbar, we've been here for a few days and I don't know what to make of it. There hasn't been the piles of treasure I'd enviseged and neither is there hoards of enemys at every corner. There has been a lot of skulking around however trying to find the throne, the source of the power, not the seat Crack Bones sat on. On the way theres been a lot of thinking, deliberating and discussion, most of which goes right over my head. I can weigh in on who's side we are on, what actions to take. But trying to decifer where the throne is, what to do with it, how to get to it. I've signed out of all that. Luckily my party have a good mix and after joining causes with the Huldra and even some elves I reckon they can make the big decisons and I'll just focus on getting us through it.

On the subject of danger there has been a lot and not my favourite kind. Korik has some magical plague, I and others have fallen into a corruption full river, we've fought giant winged beasts and I got attacked and almost eaten to death by one of our goblins that was possesed. My shoulder still hurts!

Through all the confusion and danger there has been one party that has brough me some much needed normality. The Soverign Oath. More precisely a supply caravan on its way to resupply the group camped in Symbar. Our mission, to ambush the caravan and stop it reaching Symbar, thus weakening those waiting for its supplies. Though Crack Bones is our leader he passed the job of organising the ambush to me due to my experience in the army leading men, god it felt good leading men again! We set up a defensive mound of earth and waited for the skirmish. Once the caravan reached our position they called to us knowing we where there. That didn't matter though, they didn't know our number or exact positions so I sent Kit up alone to talk. A lone goblin would give no indication of our party's allegiance and would hopefully goad the barbarians to attack, which they did. From there it was a simple battle, man to man, the good way. That is until a giant spider came up from the ground and joined in. But I'll forget that, don't want the memory of a good fight being spoiled.