Author Topic: Admiral Benbow Inn  (Read 255 times)

Plushiecompanioncube

• View Profile
Admiral Benbow Inn
« on: September 08, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
Down a dusty street swings a sign which has upon it the visage of Admiral John Benbow. Despite its shabby exterior and faded pale walls, the sign never squeaks but swings whether there is a breeze or not.

As you push open the heavy oaken door you first smell the stench of sweat, sick and ale. Push past the bitter scent and you will see the golden glow of dozens of tallow candles in various stages of melting. Toward the back of the room is the bar, arguably the most and only important part of the pub. Green, brown and clear coloured bottles line the shelves behind the auburn haired barmaid. She looks at you only briefly, taking stock of everyone who walks through her doors. The bartop is tidy and you note that no one sits at the bar as there are no chairs to do so. Instead there are a number of round oaken tables surrounded by chairs which, you guess, don't have a level leg between them.

It's a noisy establishment and not everyone is sat down, some loiter in pairs and groups around the sides of the inn. Not everyone are seaman either. Busty women effortlessly glide from party to party, serving up drinks and other services with swift hands and swifter tongues. In the corner an out of tune piano is played by sailors who take turns with their drunken wails with the cheers or boos of the patrons.

This is the Admiral Benbow Inn - here beats the tipsy heart of Tortuga.

This will be your general hub for downtime chatter as well as the idle chatter of the patrons who frequent this joint. At the Admiral Benbow wagging tongues roam but as do shadows, thieves and rogues. Ye be warned.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 08:33:26 PM by Plushiecompanioncube »

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Admiral Benbow Inn
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 06:47:13 PM »
Henri Martin pushes open the doors of the Admiral Benbow and pauses in the entrance to both see who is in the tavern, and to make sure those in the tavern saw him too.

He pushes through the door, his sea boots thumping on the sawdust covered floor. Sweeping his tricorn off and dropping it on the table he takes a chair, leaning back on the two even legs and calls to a serving girl...

Girl, bring rum and ale for I need to wash the salt air from my throat

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 09:00:13 AM »
A rear door swings open a moment later, and the large shape of Ash fills it, as he ducks his head slightly to walk in, pulling his belt tight. Henri! Brother! He quickly wipes his hands on the back of his fine but worn jacket and rushes to embrace to "Frenchman" vigorously, lifting him bodily out of the chair before dropping into one himself.

Turning to the young lady preparing Henri's rum, Wine, my girl, wine! The finest you have, though I doubt that makes it standout from the vinegar you usually serve up!
Just so you know, I own a comic book store

Oh, and write a fiction blog for fun

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 05:14:40 PM »
Henri embraces the newcomer in return, with a laugh

They could sell you vinegar at a dollar a finger and you'd say it was nectar if only it was expensive enough

Plushiecompanioncube

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 07:18:05 AM »
Erin was an eagle-eyed young woman. Saying little, she hears much. Owning the Admiral was not necessarily something one needed a lot of coin for. On Tortuga many things can be traded as currency.

She poured the two drinks and handed them to an even younger, blond-haired girl on a tray. As she placed the tray on the table and served each drink to their orderer she smiled, holding out a hand for payment.

The table to the left had a few groggy sailors sat around it. A few cards and die were scattered on the oak as they guffed and bellowed, angry and joyous grunts filling the air in a noisy chorus. "Come on Red-Eye! You'll lose your next share of the plunder with throws like that. What'd you do to piss off lady luck?"

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 08:05:44 AM »
Ash tosses a coin towards the young lady, keep them coming girl, if I don't spend all this hard earned coin, what reason would I have to go off and steal more of it!

Raising his glass to Henri, And I will have you know, I have the refined palate of one of Paris' finest somliers! (He has clearly heard the word before, but never seen it written down, or bothered to learn the correct pronunciation.) Wincing after taking a sip, he continues, This is fucking foul though...

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:11 PM »
Henri takes a drink and shrugs, Brother, we've drunk worse things in worse places, all that matters is that the drink is flowing and the girls are friendly

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 01:15:52 PM »
Girls are always friendly, to handsome and successful pirates like ourselves! He smiles broadly, winking at the blonde, As in all things though, quality matters!

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 07:30:17 PM »
Henri laughs again There is quality in all things so long as you have pleasure in it.... He takes a look around the inn's common room. Where do you think the rest of the swans and rogues we call ship mates are?

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
Sips thoughtfully, wincing at the poor quality of the wine, Haggling would be my guess. For some folks, there's not enough money in the world, and if they can wring a few more bits out of a trader, they'll see it as time well spent.

Plushiecompanioncube

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
The game of cards and dice goes on for a while longer, Red-eye seems to get no closer to winning and after taking on all of the other man's chores for the foreseeable future as well as his share of the plunder of the next ten ships he stabs his knife into the table and walks off with an almighty growl.

The man left at the table turned to Henri and Ash - "Hey, lads! Who fancies a game of Piquet?" His grin was entirely one-sided and his eyes were glistening with deviancy. The cards were incredibly dog-eared and it was somewhat difficult to make out some of the images against the damp patches but it was nonetheless an entire deck of 32 cards. "Name's Buck by the way, but the lads call me Rooster." This was punctuated with an annoying, ear-piercing laugh which was far too high-pitched for a man with such a deep timbre.

"You game?"

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 09:09:02 AM »
Turns to see dust still dropping from the door frame when it was slammed so hard it shook the building, Sorry friend, I don't take losing anywhere near as well as that fellow, and you like like someone skilled at the game.

Plushiecompanioncube

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
Rooster watched as the sun began to peak in below the door. "Ah well, I'll remember how Lilly-livered you were sonny." Before waiting for an answer he shoved his cards in his pocket and limped out of the pub.

He wasn't the only one, people began filtering out slowly as early hours beckoned sailors to their work. So dawned a new day on the seas.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 10:02:02 AM »
Ashton simply smiles and raises his glass as Rooster stalks out. With words as sharp as that, could anyone blame me for steering clear?, he says to Henri. But, the sun is up, and if you want me to be of any use at all, I must get some sleep.

I'll try and find somewhere to get my head down for an hour or two, then we should get everyone together and make a decision on what we do next!