Author Topic: An insightful confession  (Read 112 times)

FlightSatellite23

• "You're dead; I win!"
    • View Profile
An insightful confession
« on: June 06, 2019, 11:53:24 AM »
Beskha has invited Garren and Jiro to her room for a private conversation. Her friend, Isaac, is with her. He seems a little tired from his journey but pleased to see that Beskha has made some good friends.

Beskha settles down on her bed and takes a deep breath.

“I owe you a bit of an explanation as to why I didn’t stop running after the... incident we had. I haven’t told many people about it, but I think I trust you both enough with this.”
I'm canonically a coward.

Humourcide

• Bah Weep Graanah Weep Ninnibong?
    • View Profile
Re: An insightful confession
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 07:38:37 PM »
Garran sits cross-legged on the floor, his face devoid of expression. He studies Isaac for a moment with one hand at his belt, barely an inch from where his scimitar hangs in its scabbard, before moving both hands level with his chest, fingers interlocked.

"It was... quite a day," Garran says, tilting his head slightly downward. After a brief look to Jiro, he continues: "Do not feel that you must explain yourself, but if you choose to, we will listen."
Mugshots provided by Avatastic!

FlightSatellite23

• "You're dead; I win!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 10:39:28 AM »
Isaac maintains a polite and reassuring smile. He is not yet sure what to make of Beskha’s unusual companions, and though he recognises that his diminutive friend seems to trust them he holds his arm around Beskha’s shoulders protectively - though cleverly disguised as friendly affection. His free hand rests in his pocket, spinning a circular object around the size of a gold coin.

“I want you both to know. I think if we are to continue adventuring then it is an important thing to recognise. Perhaps understanding each other more will better prepare us for events like that in the future, should any arise.”

Beskha sits up straight.

“Well... I was born in Cheliax. Pretty much all Halflings are slaves there, but I wasn’t born as one. My parents were, but they had managed to escape and run away together before they had my siblings and me. Unfortunately, their past eventually caught up with us. When they found us, they…” Beskha spits the words out, stammering a little as she nervously squeezed her hands together.  “... they killed my father when he tried to defend us, they beat my mother so badly I’m not even sure if she was still alive. My sister tried to stop her from bleeding out. They mutilated my brother after he tried defending our parents from their attackers. He lost a hand. It was gruesome.”

Isaac squeezes Beskha’s shoulder reassuringly, offering a sympathetic smile as she glanced up at him. She takes a moment to recollect herself.

Bobby

• Jiro
  • Casual Gamer
  • Professional Geeklord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
As Jiro entered the room, he offered the three a customary polite bow before taking a seat across from the halfling, nodding respectfully in acknowledgement of Beshka's friend. Not wishing to interrupt his diminutive friend, he simply made a small gesture with his hand towards Beshka to continue as she paused in her elaboration, empathy and support for his druid companion evident in his expression.

Jiro offers a sympathetic smile to Garran as he glances to the half-elf, an unspoken acknowledgement of the difficulties all of them had faced today. "I am flattered by your compliment and trust, but it is as Garran says - you don't owe us anything, but we will listen if you wish to share with us." Jiro replied with the same smile, now directed at Beshka.

The ronin then allows her to explain her extensive history, remaining quiet and attentive as she elaborates.

FlightSatellite23

• "You're dead; I win!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 04:53:09 PM »
The halfling continued. “Anyway... we were separated and sold on the slave market, and I spent ten years like that. They branded me and everything.”
Beskha turned away from her companions for a moment and pulled down the collar of her dress to reveal a rather painful looking purple scar at the nape of her neck. It is shaped like the holy symbol of Asmodeus within a circle resembling the one on the Chelaxian flag. She grimaced before continuing. “My masters were not kind. I still have night terrors about it.
But when something overcame you and you attacked me, Garren, I just... wasn’t here anymore. I wasn’t with you guys. I was back there again. Alone. It was like all of my nightmares rolled into one and the second I started to run, I just... couldn’t stop. It was worse than anything that damned house could have thrown at me. I had to get out, or I’d go mad.”

“It’s really stupid. When I was stolen along with my family, they all tried to fight it. They all did something to resist being taken against their will. I just… sat there. It’s like I was paralysed - I couldn’t protect my parents, I couldn’t aid my siblings… just frozen in fear. And the one time I feel that kind of fear again, I get enough adrenaline in me to react to it and I do: but running away from you all almost killed me. I’m just... I’m just glad nobody who followed me got hurt.”
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 08:53:28 PM by FlightSatellite23 »

Humourcide

• Bah Weep Graanah Weep Ninnibong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 07:07:21 PM »
"None of what happened in that house was your fault," Garran said, one hand absently reaching for the scars in his scalp, cut by his own talons.
"The one to blame is dead, and we mean to keep him that way. And you need not feel any guilt for doing nothing when your family was attacked: fear is a strange and terrible thing. In my time among the warm-bloods ... forgive me, my time away from the Guiltspur, I should say ... I have seen the meek and frail show courage in the face of near-certain death, and those who call themselves brave flinch at the slightest twitch of a shadow. That you have come this far on such a dangerous path in life shows that you have true courage within you, regardless of your past. You need not feel any shame."
Mugshots provided by Avatastic!

Bobby

• Jiro
  • Casual Gamer
  • Professional Geeklord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 03:43:08 PM »
Jiro's expression became subdued and sad as Beshka unveiled the marking on her neck, the edges of his lips descending into a frown. Though he didn't recognise the markings, the halfling was clear with the implications of them. As she elaborated on her trauma and the episode she had suffered back at the house, along with her feelings of inadequacy compared to her family and their resistance, Jiro moved forward and dropped to a knee so he could rest a hand on her shoulder.

"Fear is a demon we never truly defeat. We struggle with the monster every day of our lives, even those of us who seem incapable of succumbing to terror and panic. Like in life, we cannot emerge victorious in every instance, and must accept that sometimes we will concede ground to our darkness. But courage is not the absence of fear - it is the means to persevere despite it, and in that, you display considerable strength every day. You faltered in the house, but stood strong with us in every encounter we have had before then and every victory you've earned before we all met. You do yourself a discredit, Beshka - both in blaming yourself, and feeling shame for your fear." The ronin explained with a smile and an accompanying gentle squeeze of her shoulder reassuringly. After a moment, he actually smiles a little more widely, and slides the arm resting on her shoulder around her head to the other side and brings her close into a brief hug. The half-elf releases her to meet her gaze once more.

"You and Garran are some of the strongest people I know. Not just in muscle, like Tung, but in maturity, morality and conviction. I am proud to call you my friends - even if your cultures are so very alien to my own." Jiro concluded, offering Garran a look and a nod in friendly acknowledgement as well.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 03:50:07 PM by Bobby »

FlightSatellite23

• "You're dead; I win!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »
Beskha was momentarily stunned by the surprise of being pulled into a hug from Jiro, of all people. She knew little about minkaian culture but had noticed that Jiro, as well as Ameiko and Lonjiku when he was still alive, were always formal by western standards and never seemed to perform anything so intimate.

“Your friends are right, Beskha.” Isaac spoke up, seemingly waiting for the others in the room to say something first. “You didn’t come all this way to get taken down by something you can’t control. You haven’t survived all that you have by luck, you know. You may have needed a helping hand at times, but everybody does. Ultimately you are alive and here right now because you fought to be.” The hand in his pocket held the circular object it had been spinning in a tight fist. He seems reflective for a moment.

“Th- I- thank you,” Beskha began, searching for the eloquence to deliver the message she wanted to say. “I don’t understand how you seem to be so… so good at all of this. I mean, I don’t think I’ve ever seen any of you scared - unless a spell was cast on you, at least… I suppose I’ve a long way to go before I can control that fear, if ever. In the meantime though, I’m very lucky indeed to exist at a time where I can befriend such wonderful people. It feels good to have those I can trust to have my back.”
After a brief pause, Beskha stifles a yawn.
“We’ll never get up in the morning if we stay up all night talking. How about we call it a night?”