Author Topic: Meanwhile, at the Rusty Dragon...  (Read 320 times)

Humourcide

• Bah Weep Graanah Weep Ninnibong?
    • View Profile
Meanwhile, at the Rusty Dragon...
« on: March 29, 2019, 06:43:03 PM »
"Turn around; we can learn nothing more from him."

Garran had said nothing more since meeting the others on the road an hour earlier. Back in Sandpoint he had continued on directly to the Rusty Dragon where he had bought a round of drinks and sat at a table.

Once the others were seated, he took a slow sip of mulled wine, took a slow, deep breath, and then spoke:

"I learned very little from the madman at the sanitarium. But what he was able to say, I found ... troubling."

He blinked once, slowly, then continued;

"The physicians attending him do not expect that he will live beyond the week's end: between starvation, exposure, and a fever that was likely brought on by an infected wound, he is beyond their ability to heal. But before I tell you what he said, there is some information regarding Nualia's history with Sandpoint that you should know."
Mugshots provided by Avatastic!

Humourcide

• View Profile
Re: Meanwhile, at the Rusty Dragon...
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 06:56:26 PM »
Garran lowered his voice in an attempt to ensure that no-one at the neighbouring tables would overhear him;

"From the notes we found at Thistletop, I learned how Nualia came to hate her Aasimar heritage and begin her transformation, why she sought the destruction of Sandpoint, and why she murdered her father and desecrated his remains.

She was a foundling, abandoned at the Cathedral's door and raised by Father Tobyn. Her unearthly beauty made the other children of Sandpoint either jealous or shy, and many of them took to playing cruel jokes on her. The adults in town were not much better - rumours began that her touch or proximity could cure warts and rashes, that locks of her hair brewed into tea could increase fertility, and that even her voice could drive out evil spirits.

All of this led to endless awkward and humiliating requests over the years. She eventually began a relationship with a local Varisian youth by the name of Delek. She kept the affair secret and they met mostly in the abandoned smuggler’s tunnel under town. Before long, Nualia realised she was carrying Delek's child. After calling her a slut and a harlot, her lover fled Sandpoint rather than face her father’s wrath. When Father Tobyn discovered her condition, he forbade her to leave the church, lectured her night after night about her "sins", and made her pray to Desna for forgiveness. In so doing, he nurtured her hatred."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:29:18 PM by Humourcide »

Humourcide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 07:08:55 PM »
"In the seventh month of her pregnancy, she suffered a miscarriage. She only caught a glimpse of it's body before the midwives, muttering terrified prayers, stole it away. Nualia later learned that it had been burned in secret. As the child had been conceived in the smuggler’s tunnels below town, in close proximity to the shrine to Lamashtu, the child itself was deformed and horrific. By this point, her notes would seem to indicate that her hatred for Sandpoint consumed her every thought.

When the Runewell of Wrath activated below the town, she jammed her father’s door shut as he slept, lit the church on fire, and fled Sandpoint. Fuelled by the wrath from below and the taint of Lamashtu, she became further obsessed with the worship of the Mother of Monsters. She came to see her divine heritage as the true curse, and demon-sent dreams showed her how to expunge this taint from her body and soul, replacing it with chaos and cruelty.

She fled to Magnimar, where she learned under a group of killers she refers to in her notes only as "the Skinsaw Men" - a name which meant nothing to me until this morning. Seeing a kindred spirit in this tortured woman, the mysterious leader of the Skinsaw Men, whom she does not name, gave Nualia a medallion bearing a carving of a seven-pointed star. He called it a “Sihedron medallion,” and I believe it is that which Beshka now carries."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:28:55 PM by Humourcide »

Humourcide

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 08:44:45 PM »
"From this leader, Nualia learned that she had a larger role to play, and that her dreams were a map to her destiny.

At some time during her tutelage under the Skinsaw Men, Nualia sought out Delek and put her training to use. Her notes do not divulge precisely how she ended his life, only that she did so with great satisfaction; but his death was not enough to quench her thirst for blood.

Taking the advice of the Skinsaw Men to heart, Nualia returned to Sandpoint and discovered the Catacombs of Wrath and the quasit known as Erylium, also a follower of Lamashtu. For many months, Nualia studied under Erylium’s tutelage. During this time, Nualia received another vision from Lamashtu - a monstrous goblin wolf imprisoned in a tiny room. In Nualia’s dreams, she learned that this creature, a barghest by the name of Malfeshnikor, was also one of Lamashtu’s chosen. If she could find him and free him, he would not only help her achieve her vengeance against the people of Sandpoint, but he would be the key in cleansing her body of what she had come to see as her “celestial taint.”

Her final notes make it clear that she believed, based on what she learned from Ripnugget and other goblins, that Malfeshnikor was somewhere underneath Thistletop, though none of her writings reveal that she had learned exactly where she would find him."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:29:43 PM by Humourcide »

Humourcide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »
Garran took another sip of his wine, staring into his cup for a moment.

"As for the unfortunate wretch in the sanitarium... his grip on reality is gone. Little more than an empty husk now. There is no magic about him, nor anything fiendish. But whatever creature attacked him and those whose bodies were found with him bit his shoulder. I know too little of medicine to determine what made such a bite, but when I examined it he muttered the words "too many teeth".

Honestly, I don't know if he meant me, or the thing that bit him.

In an attempt to jog his memory, I had the sanitarium orderlies push him to his knees, and positioned myself behind him to replicate some of the conditions of the attack. I dug my claws into the bite-mark, and he spoke.

He said, "the Skinsaw Man is coming". He did not say when, or where. He said also, "bring her".

If the conclusions we reached last night are correct, who- or whatever the Skinsaw Man is, he has an interest in Demmel, and I fear we are not prepared for what is to come."

Garran took another sip of his wine, and was then silent.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 09:30:32 PM by Humourcide »

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
  • Doesn't look a thing like Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • Dragonbjorn: racist, schizophrenic dragon slayer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 10:01:03 PM »
Might have heard of skinsaw before.  Sound like one of them... you know, them stories.  You tells your kids stories when they's bad, makes them be good.

Good name for serial killer.  Maybe just some bad man with a knife.  Bad... slimy dead man.  Yeh.  Probably not man.

*Tung idly chews a lump of gristle from a dubious pouch*

Nualia were that angry?  Seemed sort of alright to Tung.  Not as angry as all that.  Lursa, SHE were angry.  Angry and bad.  Maybe Nualia just not have rage.  Know that when Tung see it.  Best that she dead.  Not so angry now.  For such small town, so much bad here.  Wonder why?  What happen here?  Maybe just unlucky place.

Goblin wolf?  Nah.  You gets goblin, you gets wolf.  They don't like dogs, ain't no goblin gonna make a goblin wolf.  How would that work?  Maybe wizard or something.  Goblin probably not even ride wolf unless it nailed on.  Bet you it's starved by now though.  And we went to lots of places in that statue, not many places to hide a wolf.  Maybe in them caves.  Wolf need food, no food in there.  Unless it stupid magic.  Stupid magic wolf could live without food.

Magic is stupid.
I can still tend the rabbits, George?

Humourcide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 10:09:50 PM »
""Goblin Wolf" was just how she described what she saw in her dreams, and later learned that it was a creature called a barghest. The thought of goblins breeding with a wolf - or anything - is quite horrifying."

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 11:04:32 AM »
Probably just be a weaker wolf.  Like a smarter wolf but a weaker wolf.

Still die like anything else if you hit it enough.

Humourcide

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 08:45:40 PM »
Garran raised his cup.

"I'll drink to that."

After taking another sip, he paused.

"Which brings up another question," he continued, his eyes focused on the dark liquid; "why did she not open the door and release Malfeshnikor before we arrived? She was clearly intelligent enough to have deduced that the amulet was the key to the door, and had more than enough time to have done so ... and yet, she did not."
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 08:58:25 PM by Humourcide »

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 10:18:44 PM »
... huh.  Good question.  Maybe she not sure she could control it.  Lamashtu bit fickle, probably give with one hand, take with other.  Maybe she hope we find big important door in greedy treasure vault, we think "hey ho, this where all GOOD stuff is", next thing BAM, starved goblin wolf in face.

Or maybe she want to be sure that goblin wolf know people is coming.  Big puzzle door opens, ain't no sneaking once you do a big thing like that.

Bobby

• Jiro
  • Casual Gamer
  • Professional Geeklord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 03:49:58 PM »
"Because the star amulet wasn't the key, perhaps?" Jiro remarked, finally breaking his contemplative silence to contribute to the conversation. "She was doing research to set him free and destroy Sandpoint. If she already had the means to set him loose, why not have done it already, unless she couldn't? Did she seem like she was preparing when you confronted her?"

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2019, 07:03:22 AM »
Dunno.  She had all them books and stuff.  Definitely reading about something.  Either means she's a wizard or she's trying to learn about something.

Suppose she was a bit of a wizard.  Did that holy magic stuff.