Author Topic: Rose  (Read 167 times)

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
Rose
« on: February 17, 2019, 11:20:57 PM »
The past two weeks have been hard for me, professionally and personally, it has been so bad that I believe I have been aggravating Violet on with the many conversations I have tried to engage with her about the events of that night to the point she finally snapped last night and told me I needed to write down the mess inside my head instead of treating her like a personal therapist. Itís a fair point, she was the one who killed a man for the sake of my honour and as always I keep making it all about me. Sheís always been better to me than I ever deserved, I wish I could be the sister she deserved, I have talents that could have given us comfortable lives if I had listened to Mother but instead but I have used these gifts to become a drug dealer?

Perhaps I am being unfair to myself, I joined Cohenís revolution for a reason after all, so that other people like me wouldnít have to debase themselves to rich idiots and instead could perhaps change the world. And yet once again it feels like another in my long list of failures. Our first cell all died in a blaze of glory I warned them against, the second cell happened to contain an odious little man who seemingly hated me on principle from the off and this turned out to be a horrible solution when mixed with other inter group relationships that would have blown up in my face had Violet not saved me yet again.

And so we come to the reason Iíve struggled these past two weeks, a potent mix of guilt, fear and worry exacerbated by a lack of contact from either Cohen or anyone in cell. I could understand wanting to cut ties with me, Iím just not very likable I suppose.  As a teenager I always used to find it galling that despite us being physically identical to each other it was Violet who used to get all the attention in social groups. I used to hate her for that, but it just led to me being more honest, which led to me being hated more which led to my rebellion and I suppose led to the best sad chapter of my life and another man dead because I refuse to yield an inch. He deserved to suffer for what he did but did he deserve death?

So to recap, I am and always will be a bloody mess. But despite everything that was happened Cohenís plan still appeals, I still wish to overthrow the ruling class and change the world for the better. Perhaps this cell will take me and Violet back, perhaps not, but I have picked this path. There is little time for doubt.

Final thoughts on the what remains of the cell

Peter- A good man, of all them I would have said I could have trusted him the most, however his misplaced faith in Mouse may have set him against my sister, and I will die before I let him hurt her in any way, I will work with him but I must keep watch on him.

Magnus- Still a liability, though I must take some of the blame for what conspired between us. Had I not tried to use a bad situation to take control her then things may not have degraded as quick as they did. Iím still scared of this one, and yet of everyone in the group I enjoy her company most.

Karl- If still alive I need to have Violet put him down. Nothing more than a rabid dog.

Mr Mole- Self righteous fraud, I find him insufferable but essentially harmless as long as I have Violet to protect me.

Regardless journal Iím off to the george this really is far too self pitying, I shall make sure to operate to a higher standard in future.

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
Re: Rose
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 10:33:32 AM »
Legacy.

Itís a word I had no reason to think about often when I was young, when I was a foolish child stumbling around in the dark. But here and now in the aftermath of the attack upon the fatal vespers building I continually find myself coming back to it. Certainly, it would be strange to call myself old, but the fact I am a scant two months off thirty has made me more analytical about my life so far, I am sure the fact that my life has become so dangerous plays no small part in the matter.

My public legacy is damaged beyond repair, no matter my actions now I am forever marked as the witch and one of the most notorious examples of the fairer sex to ever walk this earth, in the history books my contemporaryís will be the ripper, Lizzie Halliday and Mary Ann Britland. Sometimes at night I dream of this revolution being a success, of clearing my name and having the truth told to the world, but what truth would that be? That I knowingly sold poison to evil men out of a mixture of greed and ambivalence, much as I would like to pretend otherwise my hands are soaked with blood.

So, I turn to my personal legacy and what have I achieved for all my supposed genius? When I was young, I had such ambitions, I knew I was gifted, I knew I could be one of the greatest scientists of this age, but my arrogance led to me to selling narcotics to spoilt rich brats. It was supposed to be for a greater purpose, to fund the work I wanted to do, but even those plans turned to ash in my mouth. The time-consuming nature of creating and selling soon took over my time. I realize now I have not worked on a personal project since I was seventeen. This revolution has brought me nothing but pain so far, I fear Peter is a fanatic, I fear Magnus will kill us all in our sleep, the others are too new for me to pass comment on yet but past experience does not lead me to trust them.

Worst of all when I look at my achievements is what has become of my sister, she is everything I sometimes wish I could be, a beautiful free spirt who sets the world to rights. She is my protector and confidant and my world would be a darker place without her. But whatever happened in that building has shook her, she is a ghost around our home. She doesnít talk, she doesnít cook. I have had to take over in looking after the house and the house is much worse for it. It is sweet of her not to complain about my terrible cooking making skills but, in some ways, I would prefer she did. Violet has always been such a creature of life. I need her back to normal, for my sake as much for hers.

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 08:26:04 PM »
Standing with her back against the wall Rose took a quick glance out at the monster wearing her colleagues face. Two men lay dead in the alley and the monster that looked like Magnus was heading forward onto the main street to cause more havoc. Rose raised her gun and looked down the sights, she had to make a choice, if she took the shot and the tranquiliser failed to take hold sheíd be dead in seconds, the monster and her had had disagreements before and she was sure it forgot nothing of the pain she had inflicted upon it, she wasnít sure if the dice roll of doing it would come down in her favor, if Rose had to gamble she preferred to use rigged dice. That decided it, if she had to sacrifice others for her safety so be it, Magnus had let the monster out after all not her.

She waited, seconds felt like hours, she prayed to the god of her parents that the monster would not double back. When she again looked around the corner it had gone. She could still hear it as it moved off somewhere down the street nut she needed to move, after all it wouldnít be long before the police were called and that would be just as bad for her.

She headed out from behind the corner, the lunatic she came to save was drugged up to his gills cowering on the floor she grabbed him and made her move, as quietly as she could she left the back alley turned left and started heading to the main road where hopefully she could hail a cab and end this nightmare, she made it a scant few metres before she realized her mistake, being quiet is all very well and good but itís difficult to pull off whilst dragging a full grown man silently and his shoes scrapped on the cobbles. An icy chill went down her spine as she turned around and saw the monster. It was surrounded by a few of mangled corpses, in its left hand it held a man, his skull was crushed and she threw it aside as on afterthought, the monster looked her dead in the eyes and smiled.

Rose froze and time seemed to slow down around her, the next choice she made would decide if she would live to see another day or if sheíd die broken into tiny pieces in this city lane. Come on Rose she thought look at the angles, there is always a way, you see what others donít see. Her heart thundered in her chest, fight or flight it was, and she didnít rate her odds in the fight, so flight. But how? The main street was a good minute second away. The monster smiled and moved forwards. And Rose made her choice, she dropped the lunatic, he was dead weight and if the monster attacked him giving her precious seconds so much the better. She bolted, her face was red and her lungs were on fire. She ran for her life while the monster tailed behind her with a thud thud thud. She turned to look, it was a mistake, it was right behind her smiling like a cat playing with its food. It could stop her at any minute if it wanted to, but it wasnít and she was nearly there, why?

As she turned the corner onto the main road and hid herself in the nearest crowd, she breathed a sigh of relief, and then it hit her, the monster was stupid, it had been enjoying the chase. Yes, it was ungodly powerful but it was like a cruel animal. It hadnít known how close to safety she was. Walking away staying hidden she heard the screams start again. Magnus was still a liability, this was twice now. She knew what the pragmatic solution was, what her brain screamed at her to do, she would only have to ask Violet and it would be done. But should she be that monster?

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 11:49:21 AM »
Possible contingency plans for the Magnus issue

It is with a heavy heart I find myself writing this document, Magnus is someone who I consider a friend, but given the rage parasite issue I feel I must prepare myself for the worst-case scenario, especially given the fact that my research suggests she is not being honest with me when she claims no memory of events whilst under its influence. It is sensible to plan for further degradation. Ideally, I would take her out with the groups permission but I cannot assume this is the case, this group has a bad habit of personal feelings clouding pragmatism, as a result discretion will be very important to this foul act.

1. Have Violet shoot her in the head, the simplest plan highly likely to work, Iíve had Violet do this for me before, sheís very through. The biggest issue is I donít feel she trusts my darling Sister and so would possibly to hard to set up the murder.

2. I shoot her in the head, has the opposite set of issues, I feel she trusts me, getting her alone isnít the issue itís the fact the kill could be messy and could lead to the monster coming out which would be a terrible mess

3. Trust to Peterís bomb, the main issue I have with this is it requires for me to trust to Peter, he has been different since Mouse died. When I met him I would have called him a kind man, now I am unsure, the fact he would put a bomb in the house of a college after all could be seen as the actions of madman if it was anyone elseís residence expect for Magnus, it is a good safeguard and I am glad to have it but I must accept my lack of control over it.

4. Convince Fog that she is a threat to the group and hope he takes her out? I do believe he is stupid enough that this could work, his hatred of Doctors could be easily manipulated, but on the whole this route is unacceptable, the man is too unpredictable and I am yet to see any proof he is more than a common coward. Perhaps my Mother was right in her convictions against the Prussian race.

5. Call the police on her, if it gets bad enough, I suppose itís worth keeping in mind theoretically but I think Iíd struggle to do this however bad it got, the police are scum and I will not throw her to the dogs

6. Inject her with a fast-acting poison whilst she sleeps, given how often she stays at mine and how easily I could make on it does appeal, however as a killing my fingerprints would be all over this one. I really do not want to live up to my moniker

7. Pray to God to salvation. Somehow even though I havenít spoken to her in over ten years I can feel my Mother and Father laughing at me right now.

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 10:20:46 AM »
Night settled but Rose couldnít sleep, tomorrow could be the most important day of her life, it could be a well-executed attack upon a broken corrupt system or it could be a badly thought out mess that would leave her group killed or tortured into insanity. She shuddered under the covers and turned over once again, she needed her mind to calm, she needed to be fresh for tomorrow. Tomorrow would test her. But how could she sleep when the date with The Detective (for she would also be ďThe DetectiveĒ to her) had left her questioning her own self-image.

Her perception of her life and mistake had been a very traditional narrative, it had heroes and itís villains, one could accuse it of lacking the complexity and nuance of reality, the mess that comes about from living in the ruins of a slowly dying planet but it was still her story. A bright spark rejected and destroyed by cruel bureaucracy and an uncaring system, yes, she traded in poison but why should she feel guilt for the actions of others? Her fall was set in motion by outside forces, her time in prison an unjust punishment and upon being freed the tale naturally led to her doing everything she could to hurt those who dared do this to her.

She turns in her bed again, she thinks of what The Detective said about Edward, about his fate, she cannot help but smile. One simple conversation but it has led to a greater understanding of herself. She is a once in a generation genius, why is it wrong for her to pretend otherwise? To tell the story of the poor girl who got in over her head is an insult. She knew what she was doing, she liked doing it, liked hurting those who had opportunities she could never had even dreamed of, she could have done great things if given the chance, but she wasnít given the chance. When you look at the hand, she was dealt what else could she have become besides a monster?

They call her the Witch of the East End, perhaps as a name I feared how it spoke to the truth of the matter? And well she must admit it feels better to shed the lies, to say she joined this group not out of an increased political awareness in prison but due to wanting to hurt those who deserve it. The state sees her as a monster, Mouse did, she seeís the looks she sometimes gets from Peter and Magnus (and the look of glee she gets from Annabelle), so why fight it? She would be a monster and she would make the world a better place. Or at the least make herself feel better which was the most important thing.

With the matter settled Rose turned over one last time, and fell to sleep.

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:38:22 AM »
The missives have been finalized, soon when they are sent out my name will once again be on peoples lips, an extra chapter to my myth if nothing else, to survive the coming nights will take everything I have, but I knew this when I went ahead with the party plan, given the use of my past any investigation was going to turn up a link to me. Itís better to take the credit and shape the story myself rather than be outed.

In truth I never believed we would succeed at extracting Hastings, it was such a long shot and odds were we would fail. We very nearly did to be frank. It is a shame the information we extracted was not the most useful but perhaps we will have more luck with rememberancer. In some ways I admire Hastings, he was if nothing else a worthy foe, whatever his faults he had strength of conviction. I look forward to destroying his life's work. 

We will gather again soon to plan the final strike, I only hope we can keep it together long enough to get the job finished. But then look at the group, I do not trust any of them except Violet. Peter put a live bomb in my house, Annabelle looks at me like a hungry wolf, Iím fairly sure Fog is a sociopath and Iím not convinced after her performance that Mrs T cares if any of us live or die. It is difficult being the most rational member of this cell and the least taken to fighting petty grievances. I have a lifetime of war awaiting me.

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven and all that.

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 12:07:15 PM »
Crumpled up and dropped in a seemingly random back alley in London this document reads

Obituary for a friend

Today my friend Magnus Green was cut down in the street. It was a tragic end to a life mainly spent as a healer to poorest among us. Magnus Green was not a saint, indeed she had many flaws and vices, in some ways it is better that she has now gone, perhaps she can finally have the peace that she deserves, her demons cannot haunt her anymore.

The fact that Magnus Green will die an unknown, just one more corpse in the gutter in this unhallowed metropolis is a damning indictment of the this society that we have created. Magnus was an unparalleled genius, a once in a lifetime talent in the field of medicine, she was one of only two people Iíve ever believed to be on a similar level to myself, and how did we reward her? Did we set her up with a private lab so she could work on any number of projects to save lives? Did we even fund her clinic indefinitely? No we did not, we cast her out onto the streets to die alone. How many other people of her level are being wasted in the slums whilst the rich contribute nothing and grow fat?

No Magnus was not perfect, she tried to kill me once or twice. But she was kind and good and dedicated. She knows that the work we did together will continue. The mission has not ended.

Farewell Annabelle. Rest well. You have earned it.

PaperWitch99

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 07:02:56 PM »
(Well I wasn't upset about Magnus..  :'( )
"The tasks you must undertake as the Arbiter are perilous, suicidal, you will die as each Arbiter has before you. The council will have their corpse."

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »
(I mean she still was a terrible person  ;) )

PaperWitch99

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
(Isn't everyone? XD)
"The tasks you must undertake as the Arbiter are perilous, suicidal, you will die as each Arbiter has before you. The council will have their corpse."

Secretly a doom bot

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 06:57:56 PM »
(Hastings seemed nice)