Author Topic: Crack-Bones Guide to Everything  (Read 336 times)

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
Re: Crack-Bones Guide to Everything
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 06:45:50 PM »
Concerning.... Battles

Just survived the battle of Ravenia. Had a nicely painted shield and everything.

So... battles then.

Not every clan celebrates war like the Karits, rejoicing at the chance of blood upon the battle-claw, but war is a part of life. Everyone has seen blood, carnage, and death. But mostly not like this.

We had wars before: The Spider King; the war of Karlaban uppn Karvosti, when I first saw the Wrathguard and Aleona stride the battlefield; the Ambrian invasion. These times were real wars - war like the Ambrians speak of, desperate and without restraint – you know, part of the problem with Ambrians to begin with.

Most of the time, clan wars are really just raiding and counting coup, stealing cattle or wives or the seizing places like the Arch Bridge, which is really just another way of proving you or your clan’s greatness. So, the first question you must ask is always “why are we fighting?” What’s at stake, the fate of all Alberethor, or just a chieftain’s vanity?

Most battles aren’t fought to the death. They’re not about killing everyone where they stand; usually its “take this thing” or “make them run away” instead. Know what you are fighting for, that is the first rule. It matters. This I have learned: Battles are not about who kills the most people, they are about whose resolve breaks first, and which band ceases first to be an army, and become a mere mass of men. Good leaders win battles. Do not underestimate the power of a good speech, or a good singsong before hand. 

We have spoken of Fear, the hound of Death before, and how the breaths just before combat, the anticipation before the fight begins, is the best part of being alive. But how do you stay alive?

Dress to impress. Endings matter, and if your plan is glory and reward for valour, make sure you stand out.

Leave your junk at home. Don’t be weighed down by anything you won’t need in the fight - or afterwards, if you think you’ll be running away. Weapons, armour, bandages and healing poultices. That’s it.

Know your companions, those who will stand beside you, right and left. To your right, that’s the side whose shield will protect you. To your left, they need your shield to help protect them. It helps if you are all the same size.

Speaking of shields: Carry a shield. Its handy when It’s raining arrows. Don’t drop it, that’s how routs start. Come back with your shield or on it.

People at the front are busy fighting and dying, too preoccupied to run. People at back can’t see what’s going on, but they can see the commanders watching them. Routs start most often upon the sides.

Do not fear the hound of death, it cannot touch you.

They often put us in the front; the ogres, goblins, the reckless, the expendable. Every game has pawns, and pawns mostly die – just make sure you are one of the ones that reach the other side of the board. I think you can tell a lot about a leader by who they send up front. Do veterans lead by the example, or do they bring up the rear to herd the young ones forward?

Being put in the very front may seem like a death sentence, but standing your ground is often by far the best wager of survival. It’s trying to run that attracts Death’s hunting hound. I have seen more men cut down from behind in battle than I ever saw hewn from the front.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:53:12 PM by The Dan »
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 02:05:07 PM »
Lessons from This Year

So, quite a year: Explored the Davokar, went to the spirit world, trespassed in Karvosti, got bit by a thousand spiders, saved a Duke and killed a lot of bad people. But what did we learn?

Be friends with the healer. Good friends.

Some of your companions are assholes. You don't need to be friends but you do need to work as a team.

Every group needs someone who's prepared to do stupid things. Is it you?

The taller the elf, the more you want to avoid trouble with it.

Templars are bad news.

Black Cloaks are annoyingly jumpyabouty (same as blightwolves). Space out, try not to hit each other as they are dancing about. Especially try to not get hit by me while they are dancing about.

If you encourage the goblin, its your own fault.

Poison is more dangerous than steel.

Don't mess with things warded by witches.

There are no prizes for being unprepared.

Your light is how long you have to explore. Know your limit, give yourself time to get out.

Thistlehold is bloody expensive.

Who is watching the mule? What are you abandoning when it dies?

If you can't use it, give it to someone else. If nobody wants it, sell it.

Casualties are inevitable.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:10:46 PM by The Dan »
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 02:24:47 PM »
Concerning... Hoodlums

So it has been a few months, and I know my fellow Hoodlums better now. I think I will write down what I think of them, just in case. I do not approve of this really, hear truth or lies from a mouth, if you want to know which is which. But here it is:

Bran. A good soldier, good fighter, good talker too. This is a rare skill.

Father Ulavan. Decent fellow, braver than he appears, but not cut out for this. He has strange ideas about goodness and evil, as if they were real  things, like day and night. I do not understand this, people are just people. Still, he is a good man, except that he hates the cursed dead. This  is because he remembers when  they were his enemies, and he believes the lies that are told to pawns in war. Knows much about Symbaroum, and the old ways. Not an asshole.

Freya. Ah our happy changeling. I wonder sometimes, how much the act she puts on for others is also the act she puts on for us? I don't know, but she is one of us, does us no harm and much help.

Doctor Kirsten. Hahaha, the rich girl playing with bad people and loving every day of it. Always be good friends with your medicos, especially if they also like grenades. She likes cutting people, I think that is why she became doctor. Family is important in Thistlehold. Bad friend in time of peace, I suspect - but these days, very good.

Korik. He is like bad winter. A killer. He is not nice dwarf. Or maybe he is just an honest dwarf, without a smile and lies for big folk. He cares about money, and power, about revenge and beautiful crafted things. If you do not try to make him human, he is a good battle-brother. Ulavan would call him a terrible, wicked person, but the world needs terrible people to keep the other terrible people in check. Difficult, sometimes. But he has earned the right to be our brother.

Will the Scholar. Old I think, as human's measure it. Sharp but brittle, like over-hardened steel. I think he is practical man, struggling to be a good man in his heart, but lacks faith in it. I think he is ill-lucky too, but a fine shot and could track a black moth upon a moonless night. Never underestimate a Queen's Ranger.... also stole my kill, you thieving bastard archer.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 02:55:46 PM by The Dan »