Author Topic: Fireside chat  (Read 1027 times)

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
Fireside chat
« on: September 03, 2018, 08:22:55 PM »
This thread is for in character chat between sessions.

Everything here should be in character and please sign posts with your character name as not everyone may be familiar with your forum handle
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:30:40 PM by Mike Moriarty »

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Fireside chat
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 06:02:21 PM »
Ulavan.
(In the late autumn chilll will try to position himself as close to the warming fire as possible, before looking round with clear curiosity at the others.)
So, what a ... varied group we are! Yet it must be said we seem to work fairly well together. (Chuckles) well perhaps excepting my over enthusiastic rush to attempt to seal the breach at the end there!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:47:10 AM by 50 »

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:10:36 PM »

Crack Bones the ogre. Eight and a half feet tall, broad-chested, long-armed. Skin like old cracked leather, a sickly waxy-grey. Many scars. Hair like steel wire, pulled tight to his skull in sparse dreadlocks, ending in a short, 'egg-whisk' topknot at the back. Notable gear: A worn, many-notched sword, a battered Ambrian knight's shield, the paint all worn away; a tarnished bronze amulet, the sun-symbol of Prios. Age is hard to guess on ogres, but there's a sense of weary experience about him. Unlike the hunch of most ogres, he makes an effort to stand up straight.

When relaxing, he chews on the end of a long pipe of bone, that looks like it was carved from (perhaps) a human shin bone. He carried a scrap of thick carpet, to sit on when the chairs can't take his weight. And sometimes, he reads a battered book. Or writes in one, with painstaking care.

Crack Bones

"So... They call me Crack-Bones. I am good at it. Most people know me, what I do. That's why I am here. But who are you people? Why would this... Anadea seek your service?"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 07:58:51 PM by The Dan »
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 09:21:49 PM »
Ulavan

(Nods to Crackbones... then after a second or two looking round the rest of the group, turns to look into the fire for a moment before speaking)

Lady in faded brightness came,
Cast from the hallowed halls.
Adrift.. a rift... from guiding creed
No less her grace carried forth.

With whisper yet she called to arms,
The muster of giants and dwarves.
Queens men, light-bringers, the un-beholden,
When peals their duty known.

Voices of the ages carried forth,
Riding ancient forest limbs.
Masked but seeking answers,
From ringed throat yet to speak.

With quarry blast the challenge set,
Cursed ground spews ruined men.
The caved-in eye where muster hosted,
Now afflictions source.

Resolute the commencement,
Blight met with soul and steel.
Bow, blade, blessing, bolt,
Through the cursed barrier leap.

The pit of maelstroms maw found,
Intent... to glut - scream revealed.
Sallied then the mustered force,
Intent... to starve the villain.

Ascending horror Knight and Necromancer,
Shield and stave struck in challenge.
Mustered soul responds,
No more to be taken the line is drawn.

With flying feet and selfless vigour
The lowest leads the way.
Giants of stature and soul flock to banner,
For now the breach… held…

(Looks up blushing, and takes a long drink)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 07:46:30 AM by 50 »

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 10:06:38 PM »
Ulavan

..apologies my new friend... to answer you  more simply..my name is Ulavan and as a theurg of Prios I know Anadea to be a good and concerned ... compasionate soul

I myself feel that the radiance of Prios should be shone in every corner so those that want to live in the light can do so
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 08:38:41 AM by 50 »

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »
Crack-Bones

Crack-Bones listens intently, drawing on his bones pipe, staring off.

That was a good song. Crack-Bone's song is all crunch and snap and screams... He laughs humourlessly, then suddenly smiles. There was a time though, when I would walk the camp and the people would shout 'CRACK BONES COMING!" as I came, and gamblers and debtors would scatter like deer. Good times.
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 08:22:26 PM »
Crack-Bones has been brooding on the old crone's song for some time, with repeated, solemn baritone mutterings. Until:

Crack-Bones

Fathers, Mothers,
young and old
left us here in the dark,
in the cold

Running, fighting,
all life ahead
I'd rather remain,
here with the dead

Silent, frozen
never dry
I am alone to sing
and to cry.

It is a bad end, to have only such a song. Better than nothing, but she needs... more. A start, or an end, I think. To make it more than it is. But I have no tongue for it. You have singing in you
  Can you do that? Give her a better end?"

(He's looking particularly at Ulavan & Korick)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:24:21 PM by The Dan »

Brewster24

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 02:56:26 PM »
Gob

Thinking, wondering,
why such a grump,
From this isle,
what fun to jump

Now that's an ending! I'll admit she did scare the crap out of me but it's not that bad. Sure she's blighted or whatever you call it but she has her own private island and lake! Some people would kill for that. Maybe she should be more grateful for what she has.

Gob begins to snigger then gets back to doing whatever childish pursuit had taken his fancy

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2018, 11:23:50 AM »
Crack-Bones sighs.

Crack Bones

Goblins... Never a thought to the virtue of old things. tuts Trapped in the long dark way to nothing, eaten by the earth while breathing still. Have you no pity for that?

Brewster24

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2018, 01:10:45 PM »
I have pity for a life wasted sat on an isles all alone doing nothing. Lifes too short to waste sat alone, blighted or not. If your dying either do something about it or at least find an exciting way to pop your clogs.

My parents used to say I was crass but I never gave the time to work out what that meant.

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
Crack-Bones

You say a wise thing, goblin. It is better not to linger on too long; to be the ashes and the not the fire. I would have given her an end, if I could. But it was not wanted. Maybe I was wrong to let it go. Maybe we should go back, and see it done?.

Brewster24

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2018, 02:10:20 PM »
We would have enough time before corruption is a problem but wasn't she a witch. It might not be easy.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2018, 10:12:21 PM »
Ulavan

Stirred from thought looks up at Crack-bones question and shakes his head..

That was not my feeling ...

pauses and looks away so as to avoid meeting anyones gaze

Fathers, Mothers,
young and old
left us here in the dark,
in the cold

Running, fighting,
all life ahead
I'd rather remain,
here with the dead

Silent, frozen
never dry
I am alone to sing
and to cry

Retaining, honouring,
Lest tradition be lost
Despair in sacrifice
as memories host

Warding, Warning,
lest err be remade
By reckless conquerors
Imprudent crusade

Waiting, Listening
Ere whispered reply
Faith and memory
‘Til quiet vigil descry

Hearing, answering
past tomb spewed blight
Ring brought souls
Bring the chance of light.

Looks back at Crack-bones again

no ... I feel like she has earned her melancholy ... and perhaps with Prios light to bring us wisdom enough she may yet help us understand and resist this rising darkness

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
Crack-Bones

That is a song worth remembering. One worth signing.
It's good for things to have a proper end.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2018, 11:39:51 PM »
Ulavan

Nods Though perhaps caveat.. so long as we remember that oft each is likely the beginning of the next tale too?

Pauses and looks a little nervous

...forgive me for my impudence... but you seem most unlike my expectation of ogres...