Author Topic: The Striped Pavilion  (Read 1389 times)

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Striped Pavilion
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 03:51:00 PM »
Well that's fair, and it'll need some discussion more and consideration on how it works

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
  • Doesn't look a thing like Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • Dragonbjorn: racist, schizophrenic dragon slayer
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2017, 10:27:02 AM »
On reflection, the thing to do would have been to ask whether a freehold was to be provided or whether we were expected to have a place of our own to be turned to a freehold.  But then, I am making assumptions about how this process works and I have rightly no idea about any of it.

You'll be receiving a text message from me in a moment, by the way.  My phone is nothing special, don't expect me to have "apps" but it was at the right price point.

I'll take milk while we're here, by the way.  And possibly just the one, considering I lack any money to return the favour.  I appreciate the offer of a beer, don't get me wrong, but even to other unnaturally well preserved fey I appear to be a child.  The last thing you need is unwanted attention and a long conversation with a bartender about why you are purchasing alcohol for a preteen.  I feel like Patch and I have dominion over humans but I cannot quite fathom the minds of the fey just yet.
Bless the children of the world
Give us all a chance to grow and live
Give us all you've got to give

We're the one's who'll have to carry on
Even though all hope is gone

-Don Henley

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2017, 12:02:02 PM »
That's a good point on freeholds.  I have an idea that they are important and if we are to remain as a group then collectively we need one, or one would be so beneficial as to make it a fait accompli.

What form it takes, where it is and how we so it though is down to us I believe...but we will have to ask more questions on the matter and make a decision...

As for milk, Frederick, that'll be the best choice in the short term, in the long term perhaps some kind of glamour would help? Or more practically a fake id from somewhere?

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2017, 01:28:55 PM »
Ha, you know, I've tried a fake ID.  I can be persuasive at times but it would take an artist of social manipulation to pass off a ten year old as an adult.

I'm already shielded from mortals right now.  The only concern I have is that the fey can still see me for what I am but when you really get down to it, perhaps they wouldn't care about underage drinking.  I may work on my ability to dull the sense of the fey but unless I practice upon your good selves, consent becomes a barrier to learning.

-Don Henley

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2017, 02:10:27 PM »
Well perhaps with a group of obvious adults your ID would be more plausible to any who would check, But I'll admit it's still conspicuous

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2017, 11:00:27 AM »
Is anybody else feeling a bit concerned as to how central Zach is to all of our dealings thus far?

I've been in his voluntary employ for 12 months.  He certainly paid me well in information and social connections so I cannot truly mistrust him but I have this dreadful feeling that he knows far, far more than he is letting on which inclines me to perceive him as a mild threat to our cause.  He's so infuritatingly... enigmatic.

Do the rest of you know much of him?

-Don Henley

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2017, 11:49:59 AM »
I know little of him at all, I suspect he is the kind of person to insinuate himself into any business he can, especially if he can free load from them

I think any interaction with him is a fine line between his usefulness and the cost of doing business with him, either in what he pilfers or what information he is likely to leak to others about you.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2017, 01:11:15 PM »
I've seen him around, plenty of times. He's a "face". Seems like he knows everyone, and everyone knows him, but how much they know would likely vary.

No clue if he can be trusted, especially after finding out he's tighter with the Guard than people seem to like.
Check out my blog, it's about gaming

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2017, 03:17:18 PM »
I know little of him at all, I suspect he is the kind of person to insinuate himself into any business he can, especially if he can free load from them

I think any interaction with him is a fine line between his usefulness and the cost of doing business with him, either in what he pilfers or what information he is likely to leak to others about you.

You're quite a judge of character, I can tell.  I am in complete agreement.  I suspect we could learn much from him but it would be difficult to do so without having to surrender far more than we got in return.  I would not expect betrayal from him out of malice but I would not put it past him to leak unwanted information about us for gain or amusement.

Unfortunately, there may be a change that he considers his assistance in our personal affairs to be some kind of favour.  Thankfully we have committed to no verbal contract but even so, we'd do well to remain vigilant...

-Don Henley

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »
What's truly curious is just the depth of the demi-monde in London, like we have just been aware of it a day and that's about enough to know just how little we know of it all.

Though in our individual ways I am sure we will discover more in quick order...though I'm at a loss how to discover questions about our specific task at hand.

Maybe tomorrow we will need some kind of get together to actually form a proper plan and dispose of our skills best

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2017, 11:30:49 AM »
Oh, the present again.  Good, time enough to get my bearings before we end up flung to some other corner of history.

It isn't that I mind being taken to the past.  Quite the opposite, the opportunities to acquire lost knowledge are actually rather exciting.  What really irks me is... well, there are two problems.

The first is that our being brought back in time is inconsistent.  It seems to be whenever we're needed to perform some task or other and never at our own convenience.  Whilst I am becoming accustomed to playing errand boy whenever a dirty job is needed to be done, I fail to see why we cannot choose our times.  Surely the point of time travel is that you can inherently do it at your own convenience?  Whoever (another thing I am very curious about) is inflicting this chronic temporal displacement on us could learn a thing or two about etiquette.

The second is that we're travelling through time at all.  I can grudgingly accept that there is a community around us who routinely defy this world's physical laws.  So help me, I think I could get used to that.  I can accept the loss of our identities and the adoption of new ones.  I never liked being a homeless orphan, anyway.  It's that the linear nature of time appears to be somehow optional, too, but only for whomever is controlling this... power.  The other fae don't seem to be similarly able to travel to the past.

What other historic events will we be sent to ensure the success of?  Will we be meddling in mortal affairs?

Yanni, I don't suppose you have any thoughts on who might be causing this?  whatever this is, fae, natural force or whatever it might be, it seems to be pointedly avoiding you.  Perhaps something about you is the key to taking a modicum of control.

-Don Henley

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2017, 01:05:32 PM »
I don't think we're travelling at all, you know. I think we're just remembering. Like the Lady said back in the Dreaming.

It's still a right pain that we have no choice in when we have to remember things, but since no time seems to pass for us in the here an' now, it's not all bad. I mean, we were back in Roman times for a good few hours, and then *poof*, we're back at the market with no one commenting on us vanishing over night.

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2017, 01:24:11 PM »
Ah, yes.  As she said, memories.  Quite the vivid memory.  I appeared to be fully in control of my own actions which, presumably, hade consequences.  Indeterministic recollection, perhaps?  If I can make choices, do I just have the illusion that the choices are my own or...

Oh, blast it.  No, this is absolutely beyond my abilility to comprehend.

One thing.  Morbid as it may seem, this could give us a unique opportunity to experience death first hand.  With the right sort of marketing, you could make good money selling that kind of story.  Food for thought.

-Don Henley

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2017, 02:05:06 PM »
Memories that we don't remember. How fecked is that?

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2017, 03:51:41 PM »
I've heard alcohol's quite good for that.

Assuming these are memories, then.  I see a few possible reasons for this:
  • Memories from past lives are not immediately available to us and only become accessible as we adapt to our new selves
  • These aren't our memories, we're living through somebody else's memories which is necessary to teach us something
  • Memories are being implanted in us for reasons unknown

-Don Henley