Author Topic: Student Nationals 2016 - MANCHESTER  (Read 7066 times)

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Student Nationals 2016 - MANCHESTER
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:09:49 PM »
So here we are

Provisional dates I understand are weekend of 1st April 2016

1. We will be offering to send GMs so if you'd like to have a crack or give something back please let us know - stick a comment below if you'd like to

2. FANCY DRESS - ideas that people think are easy and affordable, and can be taken on a train...last time we went to Manchester we stopped Picadilly Circus with our awesomeness

3. more info to follow

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
  • Doesn't look a thing like Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • Dragonbjorn: racist, schizophrenic dragon slayer
Re: Student Nationals 2016 - MANCHESTER
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:50:25 AM »
I'm still on board with Rocky Horror.  Or wasn't there a submission a few years back for Fallout?  A bunch of survivors from vault 69 shouldn't be super difficult.

Maybe resurrect the old Monty Python costumes and go as Brettonians with a small army of peasants?  Hobby horses, battle standards, peasant garb...
I can still tend the rabbits, George?

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 12:18:29 PM »
I dunno how popular it is in the society but I recon doing Adventure Time would be awesome.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:10:12 PM »
No idea what adventure time is

I like Fallout because it's easy and some people can diesel punk it up if they want too for extra coolness

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 04:58:32 PM »
Adventure Time is a cartoon that's actually really decent, but if you're going to look into it, there are going to be two major barriers to entry:

-It's a pretty constant onslaught of bright colours
-One of the major characters is voiced by Spongebob

I'm a big fan but I think it'll give you eye diabetes if you're not in the right frame of mind for it, Ant.

I think it'd be good for a handful of easy costumes, it's just that getting most of the characters in that show to a costume standard that's recognisable is going to be a real pig.  Still, Marcelline would be dead easy and you can have at least two Finns if one of them's a girl.

Svartsyn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 08:48:44 PM »
Aqua teen hunger force! Maybe a bit advanced.

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 11:13:57 AM »
Well how about just "cartoons that are still good once you've finished puberty"?  It might be a bit too general but it gives you a few benefits:
  • Lots of recognisable characters
  • A chance to drop obscure references for extra geek cred
  • With lots of character options, nobody has to get stuck with the one really difficult character to dress as
  • If costumes are judged singularly now, having lots of available main characters might help (if we actually want to try to win)

Then you can throw in stuff like the Tick, Invader Zim, Batman, Futurama, Regular Show, the Powerpuff Girls, King of the Hill...

Echo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
Well how about just "cartoons that are still good once you've finished puberty"?

Seems like it might be too broad for a theme, but I'd still be up for it. I call Legend of Korra.

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 12:32:26 PM »
Okay, something fun and coherent.  The cast of Wacky Races?

It does lose a little something for only having one woman (and a woman who's almost completely incapable of achieving anything without a man to help her at that) so there'd be some gender swapping necesary but it's recognisable, has both easy and difficult costumes and it's pretty striking.

I mean, the Anthill Mob are, what, 9 guys dressed as mobsters?  That's not too tricky.

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 04:15:29 PM »
Its been suggested before but never done due to the 1 women character issue since whilst some people are fine with playing gender swapped characters others are not

Echo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 02:53:27 PM »
Could do a specific category of cartoons, perhaps? Ones that aired on Cartoon Network, or Nickolodeon stuff? Broader theme than a single 'toon, but still a tangible connection. I mean, there was a group of people in Smash Bros. cosplay at Leicester, and that's basically "any Nintendo game".

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 11:25:48 AM »
For those of you who don't follow the Nationals on Facebook, probably because you don't like good things, the info pack is live in a suspiciously timely fashion.  They might be getting a bit excited.  It's a good sign:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2wKVPHHous4TVNCeVVHNjZ2V3c/view?usp=sharing

So, three items of interest:

Are we doing the Crystal Vague again?  I was in our team at my first Nationals and it was tremendous fun.  It also, oddly, didn't slow down my drinking.
Is there any interest in submitting someone for cards against humanity on Saturday night?  I get the feeling it's going to be of a far, far darker tone than you'd normally expect.
They promise a trampoline.  Can someone with better connections than me make sure they actually follow through with that?  It's the best worst idea I can imagine.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 11:38:56 AM by BioSpark »

Artemis88

• Nationals Costumes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 11:00:26 AM »
Hey guys, long time, only some see...It's Kim here (if anyone remembers me). I will hopefully be going to Nationals next year. Already booked my holiday and getting really excited!

Artemis88

• Nationals Costumes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2015, 11:55:10 AM »
Also I would like to suggest Outlander as a fancy dress option.

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 11:56:00 AM »
Morning,

Are we doing the usual beer and breakfast this year?  And what kind of time are we looking to get the train out?

For anybody who hasn't attended one of these before, if you're planning to drink it's rather important to get warmed up before the off with at least a massive breakfast, if not a pint or two.  It's like any other form of exercise, you don't want to risk an injury.  Bacon prevents injuries.  Unless you're a vegetarian, then I guess hash browns and veggie sausages are a pretty good substitute.