Author Topic: Paranoia Kickstarter on the 24th  (Read 1801 times)

(int) magicMissile

• View Profile
Paranoia Kickstarter on the 24th
« on: October 15, 2014, 10:34:14 AM »
Link

I know some of you will enjoy this.

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
  • Doesn't look a thing like Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • Dragonbjorn: racist, schizophrenic dragon slayer
Re: Paranoia Kickstarter on the 24th
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:03:38 PM »
Huh...

I've heard pretty bad things about the most recent editions, particularly the way they drove the plot.  I dno't even know which edition I run.  Either 3rd or 4th.

I'm cautiously interested though!  Thanks for posting this, wouldn't have seen it otherwise.
I can still tend the rabbits, George?

faceknives

• Nationals Costumes
  • Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
Paranoia XP was excellent.  Best edition yet.

You're possibly thinking of the later West End Games run (where they crashed The Computer and shoehorned ridiculous amounts of pop culture references in).  That was terrible.  But is now officially unhistory.
And you look like a star but you're still on the dole

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:42:35 AM »
Revisionist history seems deliciously Paranoia

Do the editions very much? I have first ed and that's labarynthine

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
  • Doesn't look a thing like Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • Dragonbjorn: racist, schizophrenic dragon slayer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 11:17:45 AM »
Paranoia XP was excellent.  Best edition yet.

You're possibly thinking of the later West End Games run (where they crashed The Computer and shoehorned ridiculous amounts of pop culture references in).  That was terrible.  But is now officially unhistory.

Yeah, that was it!  The Iceman Returneth.  And didn't everyone get to go outside or something?
I can still tend the rabbits, George?

faceknives

• Nationals Costumes
  • Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 06:42:21 PM »
Do the editions very much? I have first ed and that's labarynthine
It's always been based on the d20, but the rules get increasingly streamlined.  Which was necessary.  As you'll know, first ed has a ridiculous number of skills and is almost wargamelike in some of its rules.

The setting mostly remains constant though.  One of the big things that XP brought in was showing that you could play Paranoia in more ways then just the "whoops, my equipment blew up" style.  "Zap", "Classic" and "Straight" as they called it.  That was incredibly popular in the Paranoia community.

Obviously, that's mostly the basic Troubleshooter game.  Internal Security is very different in focus (although it's actually a full-length reworking of the old HIL Sector Blues supplement).  And High Programmers is practically a different game.

Yeah, that was it!  The Iceman Returneth.

"The Computer Crashes" is a great idea for a one-off or an explosive campaign finale.  But not for an entire line of products.

And didn't everyone get to go outside or something?

That was standard with early editions, where most missions involved outdoors.  The focus was changed in XP, to being back on the crazy world of Alpha Complex.  Which I think was a good idea- it's that which really makes Paranoia come into its own as a setting.
And you look like a star but you're still on the dole