Author Topic: Kantrel di Gregori  (Read 2776 times)

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
Kantrel di Gregori
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
I have already written a little bit about my character over on a gaming website that I write for, so you can get some info on his background by clicking this link. Since a lot of the information there is not going to be considered "in character", I thought I would continue that theme with this first bit of introduction. I will be going through the questionnaire provided by Dan, answering some personal questions about Kantrel. The post after this will be more obvious stuff, including appearance, that will be IC for everyone.

The basics of my family history are well documented elsewhere, so well documented in fact that I have chosen a family name of my own, that won't tie me to that bunch of degenerate cock-ends. I hope you'll forgive me then if I continue to change some names to answer your questions.

The family, as you know, are rich and lazy. For some reason my mother took this as a sign that she was OK to push out a group of children that could more accurately be described as a litter. I suppose being born somewhere in the middle of that shower might have had something to do with my outlook on life, and why I ended up closer to my grand father than either of my parents. He often filled my head with tales of his youth, back when the family earned their money, rather than siting around and watching it flow in. He worked with the eighth guild, but just as often for himself.

He knew I was unhappy with my life, and had little time for the tutors that were paid for by my mother. The only thing I had an interest in was Geomancy, and even then, I grew quickly bored with the academic study and creation of runes, finding the application of them much more exciting. As I grew he arranged for different lessons, bribing my "approved" tutors to look the other way while I was taught to fight with a long blade and knife, to tie knots on a ship and stand up in the rigging while at sea.

My lessons were not in a classroom, and the teachers were not well disciplined lecturers. I learned more in the bars and taverns, taught by "named men" and those who very carefully hid their name. All of them friends of the family from the old days, who were happy to attend to my Grandfather's whims for the coin he paid and promise of future favours should I earn my keep in the old ways. That wasn't my plan though. I knew the life would siut me for a while, but eventually it could lead me down the same path as my parents once I made enough coin to suit my needs.

I decided to try something different, so with an arrangement made between my fencing master, I decided to see if I had it in me to take a life. He was another young man, with a family not quite so rich as my own who were in debt to the kind of people one should never even borrow money from. Favours changed hands, and I imagine quite a lot coin too, and one night we faced each other in a chalk circle drawn on old floor boards. We each had a sword, and the question became which of us wanted to see another sunrise more. He was a quick lad, but desperate. I took my time and waited for the opening that was bound to present itself. When it did I slid the point of my sword between his ribs and watched as his eyes went dark.

I never saw a penny of the money earned from his death, but what I did receive was priceless. I knew from that moment that another's life meant little to me when my own future depended on it. Not only that, but that I could kill without remorse for reasons that meant nothing to me. The perfect outlook to have for a master duelist.

But, as life gives, it also takes away. My grandfather passed away two days later, and without his name to back me up,  my money would only go so far. I was a man by then, so continuing the lessons my family approved of was no longer a concern. I lived the life I thought I wanted, drinking and whoring, starting fights for the thrill of feeling my sword cut flesh, and sleeping my days away until the hangover abated. For two years this seemed enough. The family had enough money that I barely made a scratch in the finances, and spent considerably less than my siblings did on such fripperies as clothes and scented oils.

A few too many mornings waking up under the sun, with my boots stolen and a sore head that would make the Gods wince, and I realised just how long I had spent pissing my life against the wall, a pint at a time. Nothing was changing. I needed to be the one to make the change. From my lowest point I knew there was but one direction to go, and I never wanted to sink to that level again; relying on my family's money and doing nothing with it. A day later and I was on a boat, getting the hell away from anyone that knew me. I owed favours upon debts to a lot of interesting people, but when I returned I would be able to pay them back with interest.

The only other problem was how likely I would be to return. The Margomarrisi was a dangerous place to say the least, but it was also the perfect proving ground. I would come back ready for the life I wanted, or not at all.
Check out my blog, it's about gaming

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Kantrel di Gregori
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:08:48 PM »
The first thing people notice about Kantrel is just how bloody tall he is. Not just a bit tall, but bloody tall. At over six and a half foot, he towers over his other countrymen, and looks to be almost a giant when next to the Pelosians. Once you get over that, the other details start to come through, such as his well groomed appearance. He sports a thin goatee with matching mustache, and has his shoulder length hair oiled and tied back with a leather thong. His build could be described as athletic, but because of his unconventional height, he just looks gangly and awkward.

When he moves, it is with some amount of grace however, and he is light on his fight despite wearing a fine mail vest over his padded clothing, and carrying to bladed weapons on his belt. These are the only things that look to be well made that he carries, his clothes and armour looking worn and well used. The long sword is a Baseado, favoured by the Pelosians and a duelist's best friend. Even the heavy dirk at his other side - used to offer extra protection by parrying - is well made and maintained. Other than that, he wears a bright orange sash over his chest, and a deep red long cloak over his shoulders with a travel worn pack strapped to his back when out in the world.

In terms of temperament, Kantrel is easy going when away from battle, but driven and determined when danger threatens. So driven in fact, that he is often the first into the fray, regardless of the odds. He is also quick to take up a challenge, be it a matter of honour, or a dare amongst friends. because of this he has earned a reputation for a certain degree of fearlessness, but in truth he just always seeks to prove himself and fully understands the risks he puts himself at. He would just rather take the risk and live with the consequences than live a quiet mundane existence.

In truth then, just the right outlook on life to be living in a war zone, and thriving there.

The Dan

• Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
Yup. Perfect.  8)
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »
Glad you liked it Dan, just waiting for a few bits to finish off but should be done by Tuesday.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
Since a few more people see my blog than pop onto this particular forum thread, I have decided to spread the word about how awesome Orbis is by posting my character diary there. First part is through the link, and I'll just come on here to remind people about it. I hope everyone enjoys it; since we didn't get too much done, I've added a bit more back story in too. It should go without saying, but just in case: none of what appears in the diary should be taken as in character information!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:16:24 AM by Captain Shortworth »

The Dan

• Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »
Excellent!
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 06:01:02 PM »
Welcome to the second installment of my character diary. As before, just click through the link to get the whole thing. It's pretty big this time, as a hell of a lot went down. Sorry if your character did something awesome and it isn't included. There's a fair bit that I couldn't get into the narrative, and some stuff that I didn't take good enough notes for. Plus, I wanted Kantrel to sound amazing.

The Dan

• Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »
Nice. Excellent indtroduction to the group in actions as well.  8)

Next week... the Caves of the Dead! Mwahahaha!

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 08:16:50 PM »
Yeah, I almost rocked full introductions last week, but when I tried writing it, it just sounded like a roll call. Dropping the names I know during the action seemed like a more interesting way of doing it. I did realise though that anyone not familiar with the game might think that Vitus is a player character...

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 11:10:11 AM »
A bit of a wait on this one, but it's a bit big. Once more a hell of a lot was going on, and I seem to be writing it in a lot of detail, rather than broad strokes. I think after my last player diary, I have been leaning more towards writing in the  style of a novel...

Anyway, here it is, and I'm sorry if any Orbis specific words have been spelled incorrectly.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 07:18:59 PM »
Part four is good to go! Sorry if I've been putting words in the mouth of characters that they never spoke, but it's all in the name of narrative structure. Enjoy.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »
Part five is full of sneaking around and fighting, and we get to see some cracks starting to appear in the relationships of our group of travelers. The final fight scene was cut short, not due to word count, but my own bad note taking/handwriting. Still, plenty of other exciting stuff happens.

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
Phew. This one is pretty epic all by itself! Quite a talky game though, and multiple conversations really adds to the word count. That and Valerius murdering someone...

Anyway, if you're following this might bit piece of prose fiction, part VI is now live, and through the link.

The Dan

• Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »
Particularly excellent this week (especially the end). I'll point Amy in its direction so she has some idea why everyone is so glum and suspiciously looking at each other right now!  ;D

Michael Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »
Hey im not glum. Infact quite happy to see a pelo zealot get a sword to the face :P