Author Topic: Looking for Basic RPG system  (Read 1783 times)

Divvur

• View Profile
Looking for Basic RPG system
« on: June 17, 2013, 04:27:18 PM »
Just hoping for some advice from you veteran gamers. I'm trying my hand at putting together a one-off in order to give GMing a whirl. I have a basic storyline in mind and it will take the form of a technological dungeoncrawl with a focus on puzzles to overcome rather than combat.

However, as I don't really know any systems, can anyone advise as to what may work. It would be combat lite and ideally only have a few stats.

Anything that is available for free and/or could be borrowed would also be appreciated.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Basic RPG system
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:21:29 PM »
Well  it sort of depends on how simple / stripped back you want it.

Some of the advantages of one-off games is that you can introduce a restricted senario, pre-gen characters with connections you've already determined and dont have to worry about character development and extra skills etc... (Thats why I use my own "D-fifty" system for one offs ;D).

So if that's the way you wanted to go you could try this one page RPG rules?

Of course stripped back means all the hard work is on you, you've no rules to fall back on to help you adjudicate situations and steer the course of play.. but with great players like Hugsies all are you should be ok.  :-\ ;D

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 08:25:46 PM »
oh and he's got a load of slightly tweaked D6-lite versions here http://www.korpg.com/blog/about-korpg/  8)

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 08:26:34 PM »
I saw this earlier, and my first thought was the d6 system like that, Silhouette being the main rules?

Nice simple fast play rules that allow the game to run without being bogged down

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 07:51:18 AM »
Yeah Silhouette is a good system, In particular I like the fact you can create experienced and skilled characters right from the get go.

Which is definitely superior to level based systems for modern settings, where being a 1st level guy who can't do anything makes less sense than in a fantasy setting where "apprentice sorcerer on his first quest" or "soldier forced to become a hero" can be sort of explained!  :)

On the other hand if you were doing a fantasy setting it'd have to be Dragon Warriors ftw!

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
  • Doesn't look a thing like Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • Dragonbjorn: racist, schizophrenic dragon slayer
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 11:15:22 AM »
Savage Worlds isn't too bad, but it's easy to get bogged down with the feats.

Easiest system I ever played (using the word "system" loosely) was to get all the players to write down a skill and a die type on a piece of folded up paper.  Any skill you liked, so long as it was a verb (neurosurgery, driving, fighting, baking...).  Play around the table, every "turn" a player can either draw a new skill or try to use their current skillset in the situation.  Basic pass on, say, a 3, but increase the difficulty for harder tasks.

Alternatively just find a character sheet from a system that you like and just wing it.  Might work out better than you'd think.  I've run Paranoia like that and I've never read the book.
I can still tend the rabbits, George?

Divvur

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 09:19:33 PM »
Thanks guys, plenty for me to look into and for a newbie like me this little project will take a lot more work than I thought. I have a new found appreciation of the amount of work GMs put into these games. Will look into these systems more in depth once I get my computer back and can do some proper research.