Author Topic: Summer Runequest Game  (Read 2618 times)

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
Summer Runequest Game
« on: June 02, 2013, 05:36:04 PM »
Hi Guys,

Since Sams game has ended I have decided to run a Runequest 6 game over the summer starting on the 11th.

For this im going to be using the Book of Quests campaign that Doc has written the final scenario for.

The game takes place in its own self contained setting simply called The Realm and the tone would be best described as Sword and Sorcery so think along the lines of Conan. This means it is a fantasy setting and magic exists but it is rare and some of it is shunned by the common folk.

I will be allowing people to play spell casters but will have to restrict this if to any people opt for it as it is not supposed to be a common thing. The magic systems available to the PCs are:

Theism - The magic of the gods used by priests and involves asking your deity of choice to cast miracles on your behalf
Animism - The magic of Shamans, no spells involved but instead animists bargain with spirits or bind them into fetishes giving a variety of benefits depending on the spirit being used
Folk Magic - Cantrips, the magic of hedge wizards and witches. Simpler and easier to use than the other types but also a lot let powerful. Often used as a supplement to the higher forms of spell casting

The game will start with you as caravan guards/outriders but I may allow 1 or 2 people to play other members of the caravan if your character concept does not fit this. Providing you play someone who is at least prepared for adventuring.

There are 6 spots for players but Nathan has already signed up and Seedy is currently a maybe. If you wanna play post in here or come grab me on Tuesday.

This campaign is fairly long and is likely to take most if not all of the summer

Mike
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 05:37:46 PM by Michael Moriarty »

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Runequest Game
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »
last summers viking game was awesome fun

Given Dans game is still running and then I'll be on hols I cant join in this time :(

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 06:26:35 PM »
Naturally I'm out. One day I will be in one of your campaigns though Mike !
" Stakk! "

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:40:09 AM »
Games has been postponed as I did not realise how many other games are still running.

Hoping to get this started on the 25th but it depends on when people are free

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:16 PM »
Game will definitely be starting on Tuesday as we now have 4 players

I will put some more details about the setting up tomorrow so people can think about characters

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
Okay so as promised here are a few basic details on the setting/character options

The Realm

The Realm is in the west of a larger continent. Its western border faces the Ocean; its eastern border is the huge, expansive, Forest of Shadows; its northern border is the Gartharis Mountains and the southern border is the immense savannah known as The Long Riding. Two major rivers, Gartharis River and River Southvale, divide The Realm roughly into three regions.

҉҉The northern region is Gartharis itself; a cold, damp, forbidding place of mountains, sparse forests, deep gorges and tiny, isolated settlements.

҉҉The central region is The Vale and this is the civilized band that runs between the rivers from forest to coast. The land is rolling and fertile with great pastures, productive woodlands and forests and several towns of reasonable size. It is ruled by an ageing king who is supported by regional dukes who control the various towns and cities within The Vale’s borders.
҉҉
The southern region is split into the Moors and The Long Riding. These huge, empty areas are home to the barbarian moorland peoples and the nomads of The Long Riding. Both trade with The Vale and sometimes with each other, but but they are fractious, divided and frequently fight.

Climate
The Realm is a temperate west maritime climate. Gulf-Stream like currents keep the coast and hinterland relatively warm but still susceptible to cold, hard winters and long, hot summers. The mountains mean that precicipitation is high: rain is a frequent feature year-round, but the mountains also shelter The Realm from strong winds – save for those coastal areas west of the mountains.

Terrain
Gartharis and North Vale are bleak uplands with occasional wooded regions of pine and spruce. The land slopes upwards to the Gartharis Mountains creating many valleys and foothills. The two lakes of North Vale are glacial residue: deep and teeming with freshwater marine life.
҉҉
The Vale is gently undulating with pleasant pastures, low hills, many vales and dells and small copses and woodlands.
҉҉
The Moors are typical moorland: rough ground pocked with stones, boulders, and low-lying, hardy shrubs such as gorse, bracken and heather.

҉҉The Long Riding and East Vale are uncultivated grassland steppe. Largely flat, it suffers the most from what winds make their way through The Realm and suffers from frequent rains and storms. As a result, the barbarians and nomads revere the gods of rain and storm.

҉҉The Forest of Sorrow is a mixture of coniferous and deciduous trees. Very dense in places, light struggles to penetrate the canopy. There are, however, many small settlements – loggers and charcoal burners for instance – scattered throughout the forest, although they are a superstitious bunch and keep largely to themselves. On the fringes of the forest the Vale Lords have hunting and game trails as well as in the various woodlands of the Vale itself.

Magic

As stated in the original thread there will be magic available to a limited number of characters. Below is the magic available per location

The Vale
Theism in the form of worship of the founding 4 heros who are:

Xalgith god of knowledge
Sormund defender of the realm
Aliya the earth mother
Menissa daughter of the sun

The Sorrowing Forest
Various shamans perform variations of Animism

The Long Riding / The Moors
Theism and Folk Magic from Renamos the storm god and Feyr the rain godess

As stated above the campaign will see the players acting as caravan guards/followers initially in the north eastern part of the vale

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
Hi Guys,

Really sorry for the short notice but I have just realised I will not be able to make the game tommorow.

It will resume on Tuesday 23rd

Mike

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 09:23:33 PM »
so your players will just have to drink beer with me instead!  :) :)

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:41 PM »
Poor bastards :D

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
you're just jealous because you'll be in amsterdam!  :D

... ...no.. wait.. :-\

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:13:06 PM »
Hey, I wish you could have joined us

Humourcide

• Bah Weep Graanah Weep Ninnibong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 07:23:17 PM »
I might be a bit late to the game this week - going to a volunteer meeting at the theatre 6:30-8pm, so I'll head to the Albert as soon as I'm done.
Mugshots provided by Avatastic!