Author Topic: Student Nationals 2014 - Leicester  (Read 8834 times)

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Student Nationals 2014 - Leicester
« on: March 17, 2013, 07:57:45 PM »
THE STARS ARE RIGHT!

Mark it in your calendars we have confirmed dates.

11th - 13th April 2014!

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:09:09 PM by Ant »

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Student Nationals 2014 - Leicester
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »
In order to get a head start on next year (yeah its a long way and you are all useless buggers who will be no help) I'd like to ask a couple of things.

Admittedly there are a lot of variables at this stage but I'd like some ideas from people sooner rather than later.

1. What are our preferred transport options?
 - Coach. No one has to drive, lots of space, will drop us on sight but will be most expensive unless we take 30ish people with us
 - Train. Just looking on the National Rail website the journey time to Leicester will take a couple of hours and cost 40 return
 - Minibus. Limits our numbers a little, relies on people driving for us (fortunately it isnt a monster drive like going to Cardiff) and will cost around 30-40 per person including fuel

IIRC Leicester is some way away from the city centre, so there would be added costs from the train. If we could get 30+ people going a coach hire would be affordable and viable perhaps, otherwise we will have to limit our numbers and take a minibus.

2. Accommodation options
 - Halls of Residence were available last time, and while being pretty basic for the price charged they do have several significant advantages to us Nationalistas (like closeness to the gaming, communal rooms, etc). If Halls are the option again we will be taking this choice I think
 - Hotel. Usually I try and balance location and price, but do people want the cheapest, closest or "best value" (being the balance of cost and comforts, sod location). Obviously bacon availability is key. Also, how key is breakfast at the hotel to people?

Anything else you'd like to mention/ask/whine about - post below

ta

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:38 PM »
1. What are our preferred transport options?
 - Coach. No one has to drive, lots of space, will drop us on sight but will be most expensive unless we take 30ish people with us
 - Train. Just looking on the National Rail website the journey time to Leicester will take a couple of hours and cost 40 return
 - Minibus. Limits our numbers a little, relies on people driving for us (fortunately it isnt a monster drive like going to Cardiff) and will cost around 30-40 per person including fuel

Coach or train doesnt really bother me. Coach would probably be better but only if doesn't cost a stupid amount more. Id personally want to avoid a minibus as much as possible as its unfair on the people having to drive

2. Accommodation options
 - Halls of Residence were available last time, and while being pretty basic for the price charged they do have several significant advantages to us Nationalistas (like closeness to the gaming, communal rooms, etc). If Halls are the option again we will be taking this choice I think
 - Hotel. Usually I try and balance location and price, but do people want the cheapest, closest or "best value" (being the balance of cost and comforts, sod location). Obviously bacon availability is key. Also, how key is breakfast at the hotel to people?

I would prefer halls of residence. If they are like previous halls of residence it will mean us being able to party with all/most of the other societies and we will not get noise complaints

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »
I just wanna go this time!  :'(  ::)

..but if it makes any difference I certainly don't mind driving, but I'd prefer a coach - much better to arrive with style!  :)

and of course halls ftw!   8)

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:39:03 AM »
I'd prefer a coach too personally, but lets see how much that would cost

Bill

• Nationals Costumes
  • Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
What about the possibility of a Coach share with Bradford?

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
There's that idea, and Miskatonic

Last time we were supposed to share with others but they pulled out meaning we has to get a coach

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
  • Doesn't look a thing like Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • Dragonbjorn: racist, schizophrenic dragon slayer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »
Yeah, we're not that likely to field 30 again and I don't like being reliant on another society for a share.  All you need is for one person from either society to be late to the pick up point and it stops everyone.  I'd love to get a coach though, seems the most convenient way.

Train seems realistic.  Could be a long ride, but it's better than a minibus.  On board toilets, for one.

I'd rather just stay in halls.  It'd be nice to get a guaranteed brekky and a decent room, but once you factor in the cost of cabs and the amount of time you save, it's a big difference.  And we're less likely to piss off the other tenants in a hotel.  Personally, so long as there's a bed and a shower I really couldn't care less.  Worst case, we can always invade a Costa for breakfast on the way or whatever.
I can still tend the rabbits, George?

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 05:50:34 PM »
Another bump to this thread

But I have offered our services for GMs should they be required - who'd like to GM at the nationals?

ALSO

Anyone thinking they'd like to spread the cost, or just pay upfront when they are flush we have a society savings account that you can deposit money into ahead of time rather than suddenly looking for the funds in the last month.

Just have a word with me on a Tuesday

onetruefrodo

• Casual Gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 07:42:54 AM »
Just a reminder the last time we were in Leicester at the halls they had a lot of weird rules (no walking on the grass , only one breakfast per room for the people sharing rooms and no stealing shopping trolleys )  :o   
See, there's this thing called 'Aggro'. It's a very complicated, very technical roleplaying expression. Loosely translated, it means 'The Priest Dies'.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 07:52:10 AM »
Not bothered what transport I use. Just hope my weekend is free next year for a change !
" Radwagons ho! "

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 06:37:43 PM »
UPDATED THE FIRST POST!!!

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
Hi people

Just a quick notice but the people at the student nationals have confirmed they have booked their venues with the uni and that Halls of Residence will be available for accommodation - once the new academic year starts we can book rooms so we will be quick off the mark this time round

Cheers

Svartsyn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 02:26:02 PM »
Awesome. I'm in. Just me this time round. Let me know how much where and when.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 02:46:07 PM »
Awesome. I'm in. Just me this time round. Let me know how much where and when.

Will do mate usual arrangement :)

This applies to everyone but if you want to go you can send us the deposit anytime - plus any money for the accommodation you want - just tag it as yours and PM me