Author Topic: Midnight Plaza  (Read 27252 times)

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
Midnight Plaza
« on: February 16, 2013, 11:09:04 AM »
Midnight Plaza, one of the oldest ‘day and night’ markets in the city. A huge cobbled square as broad as two merchant ships and as long as four, set a few streets back from the wharf front, not quite-central to the fireside half of the Haak district.

Constrained on its four sides by narrow canards and buildings large and small. Some store houses, others bright windowed shops, and one impressively proportioned building declaring in carved stone above its great black doors “Market Hall and offices”. Two broad streets run at right angles to each other over bridges from the north and east and numerous smaller alleys join the square from all directions.

Usually, during the day, the Plaza has scores of small brightly canopied ‘barrow stalls’ set in two blocks and selling all manner of goods both practical and curiosity to the wandering Haak-folk. At night about half the stalls are moved, those that remain sell luxuries, strange spirits and unusual herbal narcotics from the far flung corners of Uma, the gaps between stalls now interspersed with exotic and decadent entertainments, of a kind to tempt even the most jaded browser.   

Today is a little different...

The bright yellow sun shines down from a cloudless blue sky overhead; its uncluttered expanse is in stark contrast to the bustle below.

All of the stalls have been moved to the harbour side edge of the square, lined tightly-packed against each other to clear as much of the plaza as possible, and it’s a good thing too. The plaza is heaving with people; there must be hundreds upon hundreds of folk here, milling and bustling, pressed tightly up against each other in the sweaty heat of the day. The clamour raised as people jostle for position is almost deafening, and yet more can be seen pressing in from every alley and canard, climbing on top of the parked stalls and hanging out of building windows in an effort to secure a view.

The larger buildings on the opposite side from the Hall have had their upper floor balconies turned into viewing platforms for those wealthy or influential enough to secure a place. The doors from those buildings out onto the Plaza are defended by a colourful collection of private bodyguards in varied livery and armament. Even the rooftops have been pressed to service in some cases, and a few with some cender-power or magic sufficient for the task and that don’t mind perching in the gutters get the most elevated view of all for their efforts.

The view in question is towards the large Market Hall building, in front of which has been built a raised platform of heavy timbers with a sloped ramp going from its back to the doors of the Hall. A dozen or so seats have been placed on it but otherwise for the moment it stands bare.

Stood motionlessly flanking the Hall door, three to either side, are a half dozen heavily robed figures and though deep cowls cover their faces, the burning heart badge upon each marks them as Immortals, the legendary Invoker-guardians of the Nostrum. Further to their steadfast defence, surrounding the base of the platform and holding the crowd back with some judicious shoving are about two score Pyraxian soldiers dressed in mail and carrying the familiar spear and tear-shield of the heavy infantry.

The sharp eyed might also be able to spot more of the City-states army and a few sash wearing Tremallu positioned in small groups near the main exits from the Plaza trying to keep careful control if the influx, whilst the more mundane and ‘in the middle’ crowd-control duties are being enacted passably by at least three different watch cartels if the rough but swift justice is any indication.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:16:43 AM by 50 »

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Midnight Plaza
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
[OOC: Those of you up to at the right time line point feel free to walk in whenever.. we'll still have a little bit of time to kill whilst the last couple of folk catch up though!]

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »
<Arriving fashionably late comes a man of obvious Pelosian decent. Struggling to find a place where he can at least see over most of the crowd's heads, he looks like he's seen better days. A fresh wound on the side of his face, and the loose fitting clothes worn underneath his strapped leather armour look they have recently been slept in. At his waist is a very fine looking short sword that his hand rarely strays far from, but all in all he looks decidedly cheerful. He is accompanied by a large Whitelandish gentleman who he turns to address.>

Lucius

I don't suppose your new found credentials could get us a better spot could they?
Just so you know, I own a comic book store

Oh, and write a fiction blog for fun

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 12:35:23 PM »
Stalland

<The big white lander he talks to is dressed in light piecemeal armour, a reinforced arming coat being the main part. His clothes are tough and functional, with little embellishment but are looking like they need cleaning, while he himself is clean and washed. A his arming belt are a number of axes of various sizes and slung over his back is a large, finely made war axe. Trotting along at his side is a healthy and well fed zolthound.>

Well possibly, but I want to see if I can find someone helpful first. Lets take a stroll round to see if we can find some one like Cif or maybe Zamaragdus, I need to speak to them. And let's just see which factions are here

The Dan

• Out Of The Shadows
  • Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »
On a first floor balcony across the sea of jostling citizens sits Lady Afzaneh, shaded from the morning sun by a delicate parasol, gently fanned by a creature pale as alabaster. Her usual daemonic guardians stand with arms folded at the corners of the balcony, surveying the nearby crowd; occasionally one or the other reaches over to gently but firmly pluck off and drop anyone who tries to clamber up to it.

Zamaragdus is paused at the corner of the great stone building, beneath the market hall's low-walled portico. Easily distinguished from the bustle of other concilli by his golden skin, he's eschewed the customary blue silks, instead wearing the sash and formal red robe of an arbiter, pinned with a large golden broach in the shape of the Lord Dreamer’s sigil.

He’s currently speaking to an elderly man with long grey-white moustaches, who's dressed in the russet and saffron stripes of the Wayward Sons watch cartel and leaning on an iron-shod cane -- which he occasionally waves at the crowd as if to indicate some point of discussion.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:22:50 PM by The Dan »
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
Stalland

<nods over towards Zamaragdus> There we are, lets head that way and see what we can do to help out Hett...

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Global Moderator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 06:09:33 PM »
Lucius

Happily. It'd be nice to do some good.
Just so you know, I own a comic book store

Oh, and write a fiction blog for fun

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 06:21:39 PM »
Stalland

Well, lets hope he is receptive, and somewhere in this I am sure to upset someone...

<Stalland will call Hengist to heel and set off towards Zamaragdus>

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:19:23 AM »
Stalland and Lucius have only pressed a few yards through the crowd when they find their path intercepted by a soldier.

Soldier

<Holds out a hand to stop you> Now then, which battle do you two think your going to?

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:38:14 AM »
Stalland

I am here on similar business to you, I am concillii of Sera Greywater and I have important business with Arbiter Zamaragdus <he says nodding towards them> feel free to come with me to verify this if you want

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:47:14 AM »
Soldier

<looks you up and down suspiciously> No offence ...concillior, but you look much like the usual sort.. <pauses, clearly considering>

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:00:08 AM »
Stalland

<chuckles> It takes all sorts to be agents of a Koryphian, but if you doubt come with us and both Zamaragdus and Hebba Jobey will vouch for us

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:56:52 AM »
Soldier

<thinks for a second longer then nods> aye maybe.. I can't leave my post, so mind you go directly to ser Zamaragdus then..

The soldier then holds up an arm, looking up away from you towards the nearby rooftops.
He waves, then points at his own his eyes, then at you two..

Up on the rooftop, in the direction he waves you can just make out, silhouetted against the bright blue sky, a figure kneeling at the edge of the building. The figure waves back, and with a nod the soldier ushers you on your way.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2013, 11:00:32 AM »
<OOC - are these guys actual army, or green jackets/private militia?>

Stalland

Ill be on my way, thanks friend and a quiet day to us all I hope
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:48:16 AM by 50 »

• Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
..actual Army, silver/white on blue livery.

For the record their are no Greenjackets that you can see here at all.. nor are their any Goldenclaw watch cartel for that matter
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:58:35 AM by 50 »