Author Topic: The Hollow Crown  (Read 1546 times)

Parker

• Nationals Costumes
  • Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
The Hollow Crown
« on: July 12, 2012, 01:44:48 AM »
On the off chance you missed the BBC going on about it, they're showing four Shakespeare productions this month in the run up to the Olympics.  Something to do with showing off our culture, I think it was.  Anyway, they've already done Richard II and Henry IV Part 1, and both productions were rather good - they were well acted and told interesting stories.  And this is from someone who really couldn't care less about Shakespeare in school and never bothered to learn more since.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Hollow Crown
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:43:15 AM »
Schools seem to have a specific skill to make Shakespeare unpalatable to students whereas in reality it is the epitome of language use

I have been watching the Hollow Crown series and R2 and H4/1 have been brilliant, cant wait to watch H4/2 and H5 either.

The young Hal (to be Henry V) is the same actor that played Loki in the Avengers and is quite simply brilliant, as have the whole cast.

If you want to see scenes that will make the hairs stand up then watch these on iPlayer.

Parker

• Nationals Costumes
  • Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:25:12 PM »
I wondered where I recognised Hal from.  I think where schools get it wrong is they make you read the script before letting you watch the play, when really it ought to be the other way around.  I mean, the scripts for the greatest plays ever written would likely be boring to read, and if you read them first, you spoil the surprise for when/if you watch the play.  It also doesn't help that the average teenage boy really doesn't want anything to do with Romeo and Juliet; the default choice of most english teachers...

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
Yeah, it shouldnt ever just be read cold.

Always watch the play, then read the script.

I love shakespeare