Author Topic: Prototype Games Thread for 2012/13  (Read 3464 times)

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
Prototype Games Thread for 2012/13
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:35:10 PM »
Just consolidating a previous thread and getting all the list together for people to peruse. If I put your name/game on here and you want to change stuff but don't have the admin powers, please PM any of the admins to change stuff.

NOTE:
Players, dont get too excited, at the moment this is subject to change at a GMs whim and dont overthing what game you might want to play - it may not end up running in the end (already we have had some shifting in whats running)

These are the main campaigns and will be looking to start at the end of October so bear that date in mind.

I have used everyone's profile as a hyperlink so they field questions from potential questions, but there will be more on that closer to the time. I have also linked to some background reading for my game, but have resisted with other people in case there may be spoilers. As above though, if you want stuff adding, just PM an admin. 

Shorty Running a post-cyberpunk game using the 2020 rule set in a world inspired by the writings of Warren Ellis. More details to follow, but the game will be called 'Revivals'.

50 running... something.

Geordie Andy will be doing some Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay 2nd Ed. set in the world of Locke lamora, or a more regular Mordheim set game using original rules.

Sam will be rocking some Unknown Armies for us. and has a note for all his potential players, "I'm happy to field questions, give setting background etc.  But I'd actively discourage any players who think they might want to play from reading the rulebook.  (If people have already, that's ok, but people shouldn't go out of their way to do so or refresh their memories)."

Dan has confirmed he will run Blake's 7

Tom has put his name forward for some Warhammer 40,000.

Simon will be running GRIMM by FANTASY FLIGHT GAMES - Newer D6 version not d20.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 09:26:57 AM by Ant »
Just so you know, I own a comic book store

Oh, and write a fiction blog for fun

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmed games 2012/13
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:20:05 AM »
Geordie Andy will be doing some Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay 2nd Ed. set in the world of Locke lamora.

'A dark, political/action game based in a great, sprawling, medieval-fantasy city struck by a sudden power vacuum and unprecedented events. Everyone is vying for power, from the thieves in the gutter to the nobles in their high towers, from old beggars hiding under hills to those with unimaginable power; men and women able to alter reality and bend the laws of nature. A world where a whispered word is as dangerous as a dagger in the night. Following on from a popular fantasy novel, this’ll be a gritty ‘sandbox’ game using a popular, well-established system.'
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:22:07 AM by Ant »

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:52 AM »
Shorty Running a post-cyberpunk game using the 2020 rule set in a world inspired by the writings of Warren Ellis. More details to follow, but the game will be called 'Revivals'.

The players have been pitched forward in time, having chosen to gamble on a cryogenic roll of the dice and wake up in a post cyberpunk world their minds couldn't cope with. Can the characters come out of their near catatonic state of shock (yes - otherwise it would be quite a dull game) and make a name for themselves during the turbulent run up to the latest Presidential election (maybe - that's kind of the point)?

The group will be setting the play style with scope for investigation, political play, or balls to the wall shoot out action. or hell, how about a mix of all three? Whatever you think needs to be done to solve the problems you will face in world where the last war was fought to remove the French language, and baby seal eyes are available at the local deli for a couple of bucks.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:00:20 PM »
Simon will be running GRIMM by FANTASY FLIGHT GAMES - Newer D6 version not d20.

Real-World Children (And other recipes).
Simon’s GRIMM game.

Grimm is a fairytale fantasy setting where all the player characters are children (Aged 10) that have somehow found themselves transported to another world. Grimm: a world formed by the imagination of Real-World children and storytellers. It is a place where all common nightmares exist and the most imaginative children can actually affect their physical surroundings; where everyday items from The Real World can take on magical properties.

The players will find themselves mistakenly brought to (and trapped in) Grimm, where they will become entangled in an effort to fulfil a 500 year old prophecy. (Along with staying alive and finding a way home.)

Players can choose from seven different archetypes based around stereotypical school children: Bully, Dreamer, Nerd, Normal Kid, Sporty Kid, Outcast and Popular Kid.

The game is teamwork based - children that wander off on their own in The Great and Awful Grimm are unlikely to ever be seen or heard from again and as it’s a fairy tale, naughty greedy children will undoubtedly get their comeuppance.

The game system (Linear D6) is very simple and easy to learn. It is rules light and experience points free.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me in The Albert or PM via the forum - Thanks Simon.

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:23:22 AM »
Sam will be rocking some Unknown Armies for us. and has a note for all his potential players, "I'm happy to field questions, give setting background etc.  But I'd actively discourage any players who think they might want to play from reading the rulebook.  (If people have already, that's ok, but people shouldn't go out of their way to do so or refresh their memories)."

It's the year 2012 in Huddersfield.  The world is "not one much like ours", with added darkness.  If you've read the news recently, you'll recognise we really don't need any help there.  It's our world, with magick existing.

You are part of the largely non-existent Huddersfield occult underground.  Up to now, people haven't mixed much.  But recent events suggest that perhaps you should.  You don't have to trust each other.  You don't have to like each other.  But if you don't learn to work together, you'll hang separately.

It's time to make the Huddersfield occult underground exceptional.  Or at the very least acceptable.

Setting is (post)modern horror, leaning somewhat toward the psychological end of the spectrum.  It's very much about characters, both yourselves and others.  It's about exploring the limits of human potential and realising that everything beneath the surface is not all sweetness and light.  Turn over the rocks of the collective unconscious and see the ugly bugs squirming beneath.

The mystery has only one solution.

You did it.

TheNate

• Dice Monkey
    • View Profile
Re: Prototype Games Thread for 2012/13
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 11:13:01 AM »
Just a quick synopsis of Tom's game:

Black Crusade – The Eternity Stair
The players are free thinkers, traitors and renegades. Hunted be the Imperium of Man and its infinite armies, the heretics have no one to aid them except their fellows, their  fickle gods, and a whispered rumour of a great power hidden in the frozen heart of a powerful warp storm. Each heretic has their own goal and ambition, held higher than the lives of their companions. But should the imperium catch them, all will be lost. From cunning diplomats who can corrupt hundreds with a word, to hardened warriors who can lay waste to platoons of enemies, the heretics are as diverse as the crimes for which they’re hunted.  But somehow they’ll have to come together if they seek to survive long enough to uncover the secrets of the Eternity Stair in the hellish 41st millennium.
Imagine that. Into cheese!

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »
L'Tonnerre

The small town looked quite peaceful from up here on the craggy mountain path, nestled in the bosom of the valley where the tributaries of the Troun and the S’velle joined. The night lights glinting from windows un-shuttered in the warm evening air made the place appear like a cluster of sparkling jewels hung from the purple ribbon of the river waters.. and there, just north of the centre, the brightest jewel of them all – the grand mansion of the L’vesque family.

Above, not even a wisp of cloud obscured the stars or the moon in its smallest sliver, and for a moment it seemed as though the sky itself wore a bright blue smile as it looked down.

A breath of wind suddenly stirred from the pass behind and the horse beneath him snorted quietly. Shaking himself from his reverie he looked down to the dark form of the captain leaning on his musket on the road beside him.

We can afford no mistakes Captain, for each one might stand against our future successes.” He looked back towards the sleeping town. “Half your men to the north with me, the others to the south with you. Take the garrison first, then see to the rest of the town, I will deal with L‘vesque and their familière.” He looked back at the captain, holding his gaze for a moment “..and tell your men again, we hold the commoners no ill will, but for this task we can spare no mercy... tonight no-one must be left alive.

... ...

The winds of change blow through Celena, propelling the players into a maelstrom of politics, action and adventure.

A C17th-ish era fantasy setting where pistol and sword, cunning and determination, must contend with the powerful aristocrat dynasties, whose ancient bloodlines still hold the gift of Sorcelli.

I’ll be using a mish-mash of D6 system and a bucket of home-brew rules ..so there!  :P

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:12:21 PM by Ant »

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
70s it is then!   ;D

The Dirty Dozen meets The Magnificent Seven…. IN SPAAAAAAACE!

In a dark, dystopian, and deadly future the seemingly unstoppable Terran Federation has conquered the galaxy. A fascist empire built on corruption, brainwashing, Orwellian surveillance and faceless jack-booted stormtroopers; a thinly-disguised military dictatorship that confines its populace to domed cities -- drugging food, water, and air to keep the populace ignorant and placid. The Federation provides everything: It tells you what work you’ll do, when to sleep and eat… And that you’re ‘removed’ if troublesome and ‘recycled’ when you cease to be of use.

< Yes, basically Paranoia without any jokes >  8)

And the resistance? Only pirates and smugglers; outlaws, thieves and killers oppose their galactic rule – working in the Federation’s edges, alleyways, and blind spots. Its thirty years since revolutionary Roj Blake, his band of escaped criminals, and his purloined alien spacecraft Liberator challenged the Federation. The hero of the resistance is long dead, his unstoppable starship destroyed. The Federation has had 30 years unchallenged, thirty years to let down its guard. The Federation is complacent. Its ageing Supreme Commander, for years sustained by alien age-retarding drugs, prepares to relinquish power to lesser men...

The Federation is ripe for rebellion, or a bloody coup, or to be challenged by a new alliance of worlds. Enter the PCs... Flee it? Bring it down? Conquer it? Its up to you.

"The Old Geezer Nostalgia Bit..."

So yeah, its based on this fantastic 70s TV show - most of which is on YouTube if you want to look, although all you really need to know is this fake trailer, this epic-level snarkiness, and this experimental prog-rock video. Thankfully we won't be limited by BBC budgets! Its a mix of space opera and pulp sci fi, with a dark edge: Men are real men! Women are real women! Small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri are REAL small furry creatures from Alpha Centuri! Also featuring REALLY evil empires, Killer robots, epic space battles, insane computers, alien monsters, beautiful women that turn out to be androids, meglomaniac psychics, mutants and cyborgs, big hair and flared trousers!

PS... even if your not interested in the game, I recommend you check out the snarkiness! ;D

Aka Morally Ambiguous Space Pirates

claire_bear

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 02:34:29 PM »
For my own sanity please can all GMs for the 2012/13 games PM me with the following details:

Who you are
Your email and telephone number so I can get hold of you in emergencies and things
How many players you will take (This cannot be less than 6!)
The name of your game
And finally the brief you posted here (or more if you want to).

This is too 100% confirm who is GM'ing come September and so I have all your info in one place not scattered over the depths of the forums :P

I will PM everyone I know about already with this same message so sorry if you get this twice :)

If I don't hear anything at all from GM's I will presume you are no longer interested in running! (If anyone knows any GM's who have gone home and don't use the forum please pass me there contact details ^^)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:45:30 PM by claire_bear »

claire_bear

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2012, 05:00:48 PM »
So far the following games are confirmed for 2012/2013. Please poke anyone you know wants to run a game to PM with the details mentioned in the above post! Games are looking awesome for next year :D

1. FIFTY

Number of players: TBC

Name: L'Tonnerre

"The small town looked quite peaceful from up here on the craggy mountain path, nestled in the bosom of the valley where the tributaries of the Troun and the S’velle joined. The night lights glinting from windows un-shuttered in the warm evening air made the place appear like a cluster of sparkling jewels hung from the purple ribbon of the river waters.. and there, just north of the centre, the brightest jewel of them all – the grand mansion of the L’vesque family.

Above, not even a wisp of cloud obscured the stars or the moon in its smallest sliver, and for a moment it seemed as though the sky itself wore a bright blue smile as it looked down.

A breath of wind suddenly stirred from the pass behind and the horse beneath him snorted quietly. Shaking himself from his reverie he looked down to the dark form of the captain leaning on his musket on the road beside him.

“We can afford no mistakes Captain, for each one might stand against our future successes.” He looked back towards the sleeping town. “Half your men to the north with me, the others to the south with you. Take the garrison first, then see to the rest of the town, I will deal with L‘vesque and their familière.” He looked back at the captain, holding his gaze for a moment “..and tell your men again, we hold the commoners no ill will, but for this task we can spare no mercy... tonight no-one must be left alive.”

... ...

The winds of change blow through Celena, propelling the players into a maelstrom of politics, action and adventure.

A C17th-ish era fantasy setting where pistol and sword, cunning and determination, must contend with the powerful aristocrat dynasties, whose ancient bloodlines still hold the gift of Sorcelli.

I’ll be using a mish-mash of D6 system and a bucket of home-brew rules ..so there!  "

2. SAM

Number of player: 6.

Name: The Huddersfield Occult Underground Comes of Age (Unknown Armies)

It's the year 2012 in Huddersfield.  The world is "not one much like ours", with added darkness.  If you've read the news recently, you'll recognise we really don't need any help there.  It's our world, with magick existing.

You are part of the largely non-existent Huddersfield occult underground.  Up to now, people haven't mixed much.  But recent events suggest that perhaps you should.  You don't have to trust each other.  You don't have to like each other.  But if you don't learn to work together, you'll hang separately.

It's time to make the Huddersfield occult underground exceptional.  Or at the very least acceptable.

Setting is (post)modern horror, leaning somewhat toward the psychological end of the spectrum.  It's very much about characters, both yourselves and others.  It's about exploring the limits of human potential and realising that everything beneath the surface is not all sweetness and light.  Turn over the rocks of the collective unconscious and see the ugly bugs squirming beneath.

The mystery has only one solution.

You did it.

(Details on types of characters available if you PM me.  Feel free to ask any setting questions, although I don't promise I'll answer them.  And if I do, I may lie).

3. Shorty

Number of Players: 6-8

Name: Revival

And finally the brief you posted here (or more if you want to). The players have been pitched forward in time, having chosen to gamble on a cryogenic roll of the dice and wake up in a post cyberpunk world their minds couldn't cope with. Can the characters come out of their near catatonic state of shock (yes - otherwise it would be quite a dull game) and make a name for themselves during the turbulent run up to the latest Presidential election (maybe - that's kind of the point)?

The group will be setting the play style with scope for investigation, political play, or balls to the wall shoot out action. or hell, how about a mix of all three? Whatever you think needs to be done to solve the problems you will face in world where the last war was fought to remove the French language, and baby seal eyes are available at the local deli for a couple of bucks.

4. Geordie Andy

Number of Players: 6-7 preferably, 9 Max.

Name: Camorr

System: Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition

'A dark, political/action game based in a great, sprawling, medieval-fantasy city struck by a sudden power vacuum and unprecedented events. Everyone is vying for power, from the thieves in the gutter to the nobles in their high towers, from old beggars hiding under hills to those with unimaginable power; men and women able to alter reality and bend the laws of nature. A world where a whispered word is as dangerous as a dagger in the night. Following on from a popular fantasy novel, this’ll be a gritty ‘sandbox’ game using a popular, well-established system.'

5. Simon

Name: Real-World Children (And other recipes) / Simon’s GRIMM game.

Number of Players: 7

Grimm is a fairytale fantasy setting where all the player characters are children (Aged 10) that have somehow found themselves transported to another world. Grimm: a world formed by the imagination of Real-World children and storytellers. It is a place where all common nightmares exist and the most imaginative children can actually affect their physical surroundings; where everyday items from The Real World can take on magical properties.

The players will find themselves mistakenly brought to (and trapped in) Grimm, where they will become entangled in an effort to fulfil a 500 year old prophecy. (Along with staying alive and finding a way home.)

Players can choose from seven different archetypes based around stereotypical school children: Bully, Dreamer, Nerd, Normal Kid, Sporty Kid, Outcast and Popular Kid.

The game is teamwork based - children that wander off on their own in The Great and Awful Grimm are unlikely to ever be seen or heard from again and as it’s a fairy tale, naughty greedy children will undoubtedly get their comeuppance.

The game system (Linear D6) is very simple and easy to learn. It is rules light and experience points free.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me in The Albert or PM me via the forum - Thanks Simon.

6. Dan

Number of Players: Six. Seven max.

Name: Blakes Seven: The Long Way Back

The Dirty Dozen meets The Magnificent Seven…. IN SPAAAAAAACE!

In a dark, dystopian, and deadly future the seemingly unstoppable Terran Federation has conquered the galaxy. A fascist empire built on corruption, brainwashing, Orwellian surveillance and faceless jack-booted stormtroopers; a thinly-disguised military dictatorship that confines its populace to domed cities -- drugging food, water, and air to keep the populace ignorant and placid. The Federation provides everything: It tells you what work you’ll do, when to sleep and eat… And that you’re ‘removed’ if troublesome and ‘recycled’ when you cease to be of use.

And the resistance? Only pirates and smugglers; outlaws, thieves and killers oppose their galactic rule – working in the Federation’s edges, alleyways, and blind spots. Its thirty years since revolutionary Roj Blake, his band of escaped criminals, and his purloined alien spacecraft Liberator challenged the Federation. The hero of the resistance is long dead, his unstoppable starship destroyed. The Federation has had 30 years unchallenged, thirty years to let down its guard. The Federation is complacent. Its ageing Supreme Commander, for years sustained by alien age-retarding drugs, prepares to relinquish power to lesser men...

The Federation is ripe for rebellion, or a bloody coup, or to be challenged by a new alliance of worlds. Enter the PCs... Flee it? Bring it down? Conquer it? Its up to you.

7. Tom

Number of Players: Between 6 and 8. 

Name: The Eternity Stair
System: Black Crusade (percentile roll-under)

The players are free thinkers, traitors and renegades. Hunted be the Imperium of Man and its infinite armies, the heretics have no one to aid them except their fellows, their  fickle gods, and a whispered rumour of a great power hidden in the frozen heart of a powerful warp storm. Each heretic has their own goal and ambition, held higher than the lives of their companions. But should the imperium catch them, all will be lost. From cunning diplomats who can corrupt hundreds with a word, to hardened warriors who can lay waste to platoons of enemies, the heretics are as diverse as the crimes for which they’re hunted.  But somehow they’ll have to come together if they seek to survive long enough to uncover the secrets of the Eternity Stair in the hellish 41st millennium.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 04:35:20 PM by claire_bear »

Captain Shortworth

• Captain of Awesome!
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
    • A blog of shortymonster proportions.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 05:52:03 PM »
How come Sam gets to run for less than six people?
Just so you know, I own a comic book store

Oh, and write a fiction blog for fun

claire_bear

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 06:04:31 PM »
He doesn't we'll give him 6 (I totally didn't notice he'd put that in his message cheeky bugger :P)

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 06:10:14 PM »
You mean you don't proof read their gibberish?

Tsk

Take an efficiency demerit ;)

Mike Moriarty

• HUGS Avatar
  • Administrator
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »
Could all GMs please email me a title and subtitle for your forum please.

Thanks

Mike