BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
  • Doesn't look a thing like Jesus.
    • View Profile
    • Dragonbjorn: racist, schizophrenic dragon slayer
Ducks
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:16:39 AM »
I could raise this as an AGM topic, but that'd be a little douchey, perhaps.
Anyways.
I'm selling tickets to the Holmfirth Duck Race again so if anybody fancies a flutter ('cause they're ducks, boom boom!) then let me know (I'm the one in the business suit in case you don't know).
1st prize is 1000, then 200, then 100 (or a month's gym membership if you come in last).  Money goes to local charities and we have stalls selling beer, cakes and Dixon's ice cream (last year had a hog roast and a fancy-ass pie shop.  I'm really hoping they'll come back).  Or there's welly wanging, carnival games and a coconut shy if you  think you'd like to own a giant plush Spiderman, a coconut or... whatever the a welly wanger wins.  Pride?

I'm told that they swim faster in groups of 5.  I'm inclined to believe this and that's totally nothing to do with me not having much change.

Alternatively, you're free to come without any tickets and laugh at me while I slog away on a Saturday afternoon while everyone else gets to get drunk!  I'll probably be waist deep and snivelling in a river or something.
I can still tend the rabbits, George?

Calliope

• The Whisperer in Darkness
  • Administrator
  • I Am A Level 18 Wizard IRL
    • View Profile
Re: Ducks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:15:12 PM »
That's a quacking good cause. When is the Duck Race?
This is why magic is worse even than quantum physics. Because, while both spit in the eye of common sense, I've never yet had a Higgs bosun turn up and try to have a conversation with me.

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 05:33:54 PM »
Now then, I see what you did there.
01/07.  It kicks off at 11:00 (when the stalls open) and we drop the ducks at 14:00.

Protip: don't do what I did last year and try to arrive at the dropoff time.  From the amount of people trying to park in Holmfirth on the day, you'd think nothing else ever happened there.

BioSpark

• Nationals Costumes
  • Games Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 11:32:17 AM »
G'day,

It's that time again.  I'm feeling particularly compelled to promote this thing shamelessly because I've been brought onto the committee this year as media and PR officer (which just means that I have to send tweets, update our facebook and write to journalists) which means I've written the majority of the text for our website.  Give it a look!  Our guy did a really good job with it!

Anyways, usual procedure, there's a race on 07/07, you get to point and laugh at cold, sore people wading through a fast flowing stream and then you go for beers and a hotdog while you watch us clean up and herd people around.  If you were there last year, you may have witnessed the highlight of me falling on my arse and having to get a tetanus jab (I'd only had two pints to fortify my resolve, I think that was the problem).  Lots of people had camera phones, so it's probably on youtube.  I may or may not be putting in a repeat performance this year, because it's easier than having to pretend to be competent in front of a couple thousand people.

Tickets are a quid a pop, or if you work for/represent a company that'd be interested, we do corporate tickets for 25 each.  The regular race offers prizes of 1000, 200 or 100 with the last place being some time with a personal trainer.  The corporate race offers booze as a prize, 6 bottles of champers for 1st place and 6 of wine for second.  The corporate race is quite considerably easier to win, most people enter it as like a lottery syndicate kinda thing.

I won't be around much this summer.  I'm working overtime to fund a wedding and in my off hours I'm writing sycophantic letters to various publications to get this thing (and our other ventures) promoted, so facebook Andrew Sparks if you fancy a ticket?  Or 5.  Or however many (buy 100 and I'll perform almost any favour that it's within my physical ability to grant for you).  Or mail biospark8000@hotmail.com, that works.  We're due to be getting some odds and sods published in the Examiner, the Eye, Bright Bugs and the Huddersfield Community News, so I think we've saturated the area now.

Cheers!