Author Topic: Short Summer Campaign  (Read 1821 times)

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
Short Summer Campaign
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »
Provisionally (ie: Getting copy of the rules) I will be running a short Orbis adventure of as few weeks duration for newly generated characters so as to play test how system ruins in the hands of a GM who has'nt written the rules.  I will probably be running some re-jigged Young Kingdom adventures that I once developed, and ran, with Elric. At the moment this choice will preclude Dan, Fifty and Bill from playing.
" Stakk! "

The Dan

• Games Master
  • Seek and Destroy
    • View Profile
Re: Short Summer Campaign
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:30:34 PM »
Excellent news Doc!

We just recently had a chat about how we need to get our skates on for both you and Claire's possible game next year. We're going to give you (both) as much as we can to play with. Expect "completed" character gen and general adventuring chapters shortly, followed by magic and bestiary as soonas... err, we've written them...  ;D

In the meantime if you (or Claire) think you'll need something specific just let us know and we can bump 'em up the priority list.
Dan: A title of honor for respected men, equivalent to Master or Sir. Any of 12 levels of proficiency at the grade of black belt in martial arts such as judo and karate. An expert or expert level in shogi and other such games. He that judges.

• Nationals Costumes
  • Game Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 09:03:33 AM »
I'm wondering about doing some notes for the 'colonial' regions of Orbis. Possibly involving a few essays and scenarios. Part of research will be buying dvd's of 'Luke's Kingdom', an Australian  TV drama from the Seventies that, I think, had Peter Weir involved with it. Set in 19th century and definately gritty, violent and squalid..probably even by TV todays standards outside HBO. I never saw many episodes at the time, (it was on rather late given the themes used..Hell besides squatting, stealing, killing or screwing the native people the titular 'hero' was having an incestuous relationship with his sister !).

Cropped back into my mind as I am having a glorious retro mood which has started by my buying the Arthur of the Britons DVD (Oliver Tobias, Micheal Gothard and Brian Blessed ).

I'm not sure that there has ever been a good era of Swords and Sorcery in film and TV (Will GoT usher in an era, or will it stall , just as the genre did after promising developments in the past like Robi of Sherwood or Arnie's first Conan movie ?) but Tobias with his athleticism, goodlooks and horsemanship would have been as a good an actor as any to take roles in the genre in the seventies and eighties.
" Stakk! "

Ant

• Administrator
  • Old Skool Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 12:54:46 PM »
Without wanting to take this thread in a tangent, it could be argued we are in a golden age of fantasy right now

There are loads of fantasy-esq TV shows around other than GoT but they are mainly on syfy or never make it to these shores, throw in things like Spartacus, Merlin, Labarynth, Camelot - all either on TV or recently on we are veritably spoiled

I'd recommend Camelot with Eva Green as Morgana Le Fey, and not just for the obvious reasons.
Spartacus is a bit of a sex&violence fest but with some good plots and characters
Labarynth is very interesting in that it is about the Cathars and so very obscure (also it has Katie McGrath who was Morgana in Merlin, kinda playing the same character but in a much more mature setting)